The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University, any good?

Okay, so I know a lot of people on these forums say London Metropolitan University is rubbish. They offered me a place for Computer Games Modelling and Design. Problem is people say this university is bad reason why it is putting me off going to that University. My other offer is City University London doing Games science with Games Technology. The London Metropolitan University course sounds more interesting to me but again people say the University itself it bad. Anybody help me, or is all this saying university bad is a myth?
It's bad.

It's been in financial trouble for years, and stopped teaching the majority of its courses a few years ago in a cost-cutting exercise http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13098705

This year it saw a 14.8% drop in applications. I wouldn't be surprised if this (in combination with the HE funding cuts in general) lead to it going bust altogether http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jan/30/university-applications-subjects-age-poverty

It has a very poor reputation, and it isn't favoured by employers. Its degrees are barely worth the paper they're written on.

City is far better - it isn't on the brink of financial ruin, and it has a fairly good reputation.

But 5 days ago you were asking about LSBU and City, not London Met, saying you had offers :confused:
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
It's bad.

It's been in financial trouble for years, and stopped teaching the majority of its courses a few years ago in a cost-cutting exercise http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13098705

This year it saw a 14.8% drop in applications. I wouldn't be surprised if this (in combination with the HE funding cuts in general) lead to it going bust altogether http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jan/30/university-applications-subjects-age-poverty

It has a very poor reputation, and it isn't favoured by employers. Its degrees are barely worth the paper they're written on.

City is far better - it isn't on the brink of financial ruin, and it has a fairly good reputation.

But 5 days ago you were asking about LSBU and City, not London Met, saying you had offers :confused:

Yes I have offers from all of them, problem I have with City University is I'm doing Computer science with Games Technology. I did very little programming at college, well I wasn't even meant to do it but something was wrong with the module so we had to do programming. I'm just worried I will go there and won't know what to do because I hardly done any programming. My maths is not that great either. So just worried.
Reply 3
Original post by ShaunW500
Yes I have offers from all of them, problem I have with City University is I'm doing Computer science with Games Technology. I did very little programming at college, well I wasn't even meant to do it but something was wrong with the module so we had to do programming. I'm just worried I will go there and won't know what to do because I hardly done any programming. My maths is not that great either. So just worried.

Oi what did I tell you research into your subject so you have an idea what it will entail and the type of.stuff you are doing. London met is rated at the bottom of the uni table and the degrees are useless might as well print out a certificate yourself.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 4
Original post by SteveDawson
Oi what did I tell you research into your subject so you have an idea what it will entail and the type of.stuff you are doing. London met is rated at the bottom of the uni table and the degrees are useless might as well print out a certificate yourself.

I have searched all the content in the course and know what it is all about. I'm just worried because I haven't done any much programming.
Reply 5
Original post by SteveDawson

I'm guessing you get reached all of it though?
Reply 6
City is stable, not usually prone to have to reorganise itself due to funding issues. London Met write good course descriptions, but the caveat of subject to change really applies. People I know who are currently studying there have had their course structure and content changed significantly without notice. They have had issues with getting course work back in a timely fashion (this is not unique to London Met), but with the background of changing courses it is frustrating. London Met has some departments which are well thought of, but London Met has suffered from administrative and financial issues for some time, which over shadows any positive news.
A significant part of London Met income comes from international students. They are currently unable to recruit international students, if they are unable to resolve this in time, this may cause further budget cuts.

So if you want stability and consistency to start learning programming languages, go to City. If you want to take a chance, you can risk London Met.

If all you are worried about learning programming, I just you do CS101 www.udacity.com and or www.codeacademy.com. That should get you through all the basics and give you reasonable programming knowledge base.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ShaunW500

The university is aware of what qualifications you have done, so (assuming that you haven't lied on your UCAS form) they are well aware that you haven't done much programming. This will be common to many applicants, and so they will teach it to you from scratch. The same goes for maths.

First year is largely about bringing everyone up to the same standard and then laying the foundations for subsequent years. Part of that will be teaching programming, hence why you shouldn't worry about it. The university wouldn''t have accepted you if they didn't think you were up to it.
Reply 8
Hi im currently studying at londonmet. I can give you an insight to what londonmet is like. When i first was applying to londonmet i felt the same way their not that good in the league table, but they have the course i want to do. The uni is a good place to go. The only thing is uni bad organisational skills sometimes but so do many other establishments a lot of places. But im in my 2nd year moving on to third so if i was as bad as people say i would left from first year. The decision is upto you, good luck.
Reply 9
hi! I'm a former London Met student and like sjvie said despite the disorganization of the uni, I had a really good time there. the courses were really good and the teachers (most of my teachers anyway) were excellent, real down to earth, and I was able to to go to them for anything.

When I was studying there I was a member of a small student society, like only about 7 members actively participated, and 5 of the 7 were Masters degree students, the other 2 were me and this other girl and we were both undergraduate students. I know all the Masters students were able to get good jobs in their field right after graduating, one of them who was a Communications Major just came back from working for a news company in the Middle East for a year.
Also, at this time (2010) there were still problems surrounding London met (like with pay cuts and other funding issues) and they were still able to get jobs. But with all the recent stuff going on (like course cuts and drop in applicants) I don't know how this will effect new graduates.

The other girl in my society graduated last year and has yet to find work but maybe it's because she just graduated with an undergraduates degree and hasn't gone for her Masters.

I didn't continue with London Met so I can't speak for myself but I still have a lot of friends from my degree programme there who will be graduating in 2013, so we'll see how things go for them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
City University, no contest. I can understand the course thing but we live in a society where names matter and LMU unfortunately doesn't have a great reputation. I can't really comment on how bad LMU is as a university, it might be better than the average opinion.

Even so, City University definitely.
Reply 11
lol london met vs city? are you for real?
Reply 12
This University is appalling. See my thread for a simple reason why.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=41510650&highlight=london%20metropolitan%20university
Reply 13
Let me save you!....................DON'T GO TO LONDON MET!

Don't do anything design based there, don't expect tutors to help or support your ideas. They have bad facilities and their technology is s***. No one will ever take you seriously if you mention that uni and there's a clear reason why. I don't care if anyone disagrees on here. I'm a student there and I have no hope but to stay because I have no options left. Even the teachers know it's a crap uni but they need a job. Seriously, have some self esteem and go to a better uni! :smile:
Reply 14
I don't understand why there are so many people putting the University down, when they haven't even attended the Uni themselves.

I'm a London Met student and I've had a great experience, and met people I will make sure to keep in contact with for years to come; whether it be fellow students or teachers in general.

I've been doing a Business IT degree, and have been given a lot of help and support by the teachers; everyone on the course has. The teachers are very friendly, and in comparison to other Uni's in discussions with friends; the lecturers seemed to have helped us at Met a lot more than other lecturers have at their Uni's (Westminister, Greenwich and City).

Also for those of you saying Met doesn't do graduation ceremonies, has it ever occured to you that the one source you know maybe didn't book a place for themselves at their own graduation? I've just booked my graduation tickets and have attended and seen pictures and videos of previous London Met students graduating who have all gone on to jobs they love, so I'm pretty sure your source is either pissed off or you're making it up altogether.

So like I said if you haven't attended the Uni, don't assume things.
Reply 15
All the bad press is more reason for met to up there standards, as far as I can see if u want to achieve a degree in a subject u have to work hard if you attend met an find its not that great for me that will encourage me to work extra harder:smile: I have chosen london met as my firm choice staring sep13

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
London met is brilliant. London Met>>>>>>>City>>>Kings :smile:
I have just finished my first year at the London Met and I enjoyed the animation aspect of the course. Part of the course dealt with the media in general, hence the name Media Practice (Animation). I found the general media module (CCS) interesting, but it was not the most relevant part of the course. Another weak point of the university is that there are no tables in the Central House lecture hall but on the plus side the tuition fees are affordable and the uni is easy to get to from where I live.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending