The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemonique
Qatar! :eek: first person I know who is using that. heh heh heh

I've flown Qatar before! I think it's great when you're flying from Singapore.... it's almost the half-way point to London, so you get to stretch your legs a bit in the middle. The only problem is that the airport sucks (and stank, if i remember correctly) and the dinner they sold was atrocious at best (they gave me a yellow apple that "melted" in my hands!) :tongue:
Original post by whitelily29
I didn't even know what actuarial science was about until I found out she was going for it >.<

Hehh. You too?

Oh wells. There's always a time to move overseas, eventually.

Hahaha! So now you know what is actuarial science? It's a FUN course. Uh, at least for me and hopefully your friend. :tongue:

Yep, I'm sponsored too (by Bank Negara) so I'm bonded for 10 years. Oh well, at least my job is secured. :cool: Working in the Bank as an actuary doesn't seem that bad, they pay handsomely as well to their qualified actuaries due to their unique skills.

Move overseas? Yeah, another 10 years time from my graduation. :rolleyes:
Original post by whitelily29
:tongue:

I'm leaving on the 15th of sep by Qatar!

Qatar? :eek: Wow. haha! I'm leaving on the 21st of September by Malaysian Airlines. :biggrin:
Original post by ofssinfoxes
I've flown Qatar before! I think it's great when you're flying from Singapore.... it's almost the half-way point to London, so you get to stretch your legs a bit in the middle. The only problem is that the airport sucks (and stank, if i remember correctly) and the dinner they sold was atrocious at best (they gave me a yellow apple that "melted" in my hands!) :tongue:

Ahhhh so it's not a direct flight! The dinner sounds horrible! I think out of all the airlines I've tried, Emirates has the best food. Their dessert was the best!!!

Original post by Nicholasng925
Qatar? :eek: Wow. haha! I'm leaving on the 21st of September by Malaysian Airlines. :biggrin:

21st? wow. What date does school start then? :confused: October?
Ahhhh so it's not a direct flight! The dinner sounds horrible! I think out of all the airlines I've tried, Emirates has the best food. Their dessert was the best!!!

Flying on emirates on 11th Sept (speaking of auspicious date) stopover at Dubai before Manchester. My first time taking emirates! Hope I'm gonna enjoy it.

Anyone knows how's the Dubai Airport??

It was stated there as 24th of September. Mmm.

24th Sept to start school or start of orientation/freshers week? you wouldnt want to miss orientation/freshers though....
I'm leaving on sept 11 via Qatar!
Original post by mighty_mouse
I'm leaving on sept 11 via Qatar!

Same as me! But I will be taking emirates. Where are you going to study in UK?
Reply 3669
Original post by shawnlee
Hey folks, pretty late to the party but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to do International Relations, Law or Business in the UK with my results? And if so, which universities (roughly). Tried looking at grade profiles from the various universities but I believe those are for UK A Levels and not the Singapore-GCE ones.

H2
Math B
Physics C
Chemistry D

H1
PW A
GP B
Econs B

try retaking your chemistry since u applying for next year's entry? pushing it to at least a C gives u chances to better universities.
i took a gap year to improve too, and i am happy with the results i received.

Try these but i'm really unsure. I'm just figuring it out with the league tables using the UCAS tariff (approximation only)
(You should see a consultant tho)

1. Birmingham City
2. Leeds Metropolitan
3. Westminster
4. Oxford Brookes (Quite tough)
5. Manchester Metropolitan
6. Queen Margaret
7. University College Birmingham
8. London Metropolitan
9. Hull (Quite tough)
10. Bangor (Quite difficult)
11. Kent (Quite tough)

I picked out these 11 because I've heard of them before which means they are more reputable in a sense.....?

i might choose oxford brookes, queen margaret, kent. Bangor is quite good. and i got friends in Hull doing IR and business. these 2 are the best faculty in the university. Just don't choose london met, its ranked the last in every faculty almost every year. same goes for anglia ruskin.

Ah my post got spilt into two, but yes AUTUMN :colone: no more heat.

When is everyone leaving and what airlines if I may ask.

30th august by BA :smile:
Original post by jonobebe
try retaking your chemistry since u applying for next year's entry? pushing it to at least a C gives u chances to better universities.
i took a gap year to improve too, and i am happy with the results i received.

i might choose oxford brookes, queen margaret, kent. Bangor is quite good. and i got friends in Hull doing IR and business. these 2 are the best faculty in the university. Just don't choose london met, its ranked the last in every faculty almost every year. same goes for anglia ruskin.

Hey! Where are you studying now? and which A's did you retake?
Reply 3671
Original post by hhforever
Hey! Where are you studying now? and which A's did you retake?

Hi! I am going to Heriot Watt, i did not retake A's, just improve on my portfolio :smile:
Hi! I am going to Heriot Watt, i did not retake A's, just improve on my portfolio :smile:

Wow Heriot Watt! How's life in Scotland? Well...compared to Singapore.

Wow going there just 3 days before!! Nice :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App (IM SORRY I CAN'T MULTIQUOTE ON THIS DEVICE)
Wow going there just 3 days before!! Nice :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App (IM SORRY I CAN'T MULTIQUOTE ON THIS DEVICE)

When are you going to UK?

Wow 30th?! Going there to enjoy the scenery or does school start that early??

I really didn't know London Met was that bad.

When are you going to UK?

7th sept by BA

Reply 3677
Wow Heriot Watt! How's life in Scotland? Well...compared to Singapore.

not wow la, but at least where i want to be. i am still in sg haha..
Reply 3678
Wow 30th?! Going there to enjoy the scenery or does school start that early??

I really didn't know London Met was that bad.

sch start on 3rd sept. generally uni in scotland starts earlier, and i am not the earliest to fly in this forum haha.

as shown in league tables and reviews. some more i heard subjects like business and IR focuses a lot on where u grad from.

Qatar was actually the cheapest I found, at the time I booked for the days I'm traveling. Unfortunately.. I think things got a little cheaper ):
Does your school provide hostel?

Quick Reply

Latest