The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by screenager2004
So I'm halfway through my year abroad. 6 months down, 5 left to go.

I made the grave mistake of coming back home for two weeks. I have had so much fun the last two weeks being with my friends and family, going to see all my favourite bands play, celebrating St Patricks, going clubbing and dancing to all my favourite music, taking spectacular strolls across the countryside, visiting London.

I gotta go back abroad to finish the second semester on Monday. I really don't want to go back. The prospect of another 5 months stuck alone abroad feels like I'm looking at a prison sentence or something.

This was ages ago, but I know how you feel! You've done well to not come back frequently - it's definitely the best move. I always felt worse going back after being at home. I'm sure it won't take you long to get back into it - you're probably feeling better already!

Are you enjoying it otherwise?
Original post by Zoedotdot
This was ages ago, but I know how you feel! You've done well to not come back frequently - it's definitely the best move. I always felt worse going back after being at home. I'm sure it won't take you long to get back into it - you're probably feeling better already!

Are you enjoying it otherwise?

Yeah otherwise I am really enjoying it! I am just a bit lonely out here, it's been 6 months and I haven't really made any close friends (I suppose you can't really expect to in such a short space of time though hey?)

I'm your typical working class British student I suppose: I like going out with mates for banter, I like to drink a little, go to gigs and out on nights out etc. No one wants to do that kind of thing here. My friends and I visit museums and cafes and walk around parks etc.

I'm not complaining too much, as I said, they're perfectly nice. In the same way your grandparents or Sunday school are 'perfectly nice' - you'd feel a bit stifled spending a year with them haha. Maybe it's just homesickness, I feel a lot more optimistic about it now I'm past the halfway mark though.
Original post by screenager2004
Yeah otherwise I am really enjoying it! I am just a bit lonely out here, it's been 6 months and I haven't really made any close friends (I suppose you can't really expect to in such a short space of time though hey?)

I'm your typical working class British student I suppose: I like going out with mates for banter, I like to drink a little, go to gigs and out on nights out etc. No one wants to do that kind of thing here. My friends and I visit museums and cafes and walk around parks etc.

I'm not complaining too much, as I said, they're perfectly nice. In the same way your grandparents or Sunday school are 'perfectly nice' - you'd feel a bit stifled spending a year with them haha. Maybe it's just homesickness, I feel a lot more optimistic about it now I'm past the halfway mark though.

I didn't make many close friends on my year abroad either, and I'm not really in touch with any Russians now I've left. It is a really short space of time to form a friendship that can cross linguistic barriers!

I missed all of that stuff as well. But I guess you just end up finding other things to entertain you. I learnt to knit and cook and went on a lot of day trips :p: If it's any consolation, now you're established your last five months should pick up a bit more! The second half of my year abroad was significantly better than the first half :smile:
Original post by Zoedotdot
I didn't make many close friends on my year abroad either, and I'm not really in touch with any Russians now I've left. It is a really short space of time to form a friendship that can cross linguistic barriers!

I missed all of that stuff as well. But I guess you just end up finding other things to entertain you. I learnt to knit and cook and went on a lot of day trips :p: If it's any consolation, now you're established your last five months should pick up a bit more! The second half of my year abroad was significantly better than the first half :smile:

Haha that's so funny you mentioned knitting, I've taken up embroidery haha! I found a little craft shop in the nearby town, it's full of bored Japanese housewives, they're all really sweet :P

Thank you for your encouragement! I am finding the second half more upbeat, we appreciate it more because the days are ticking down now!
Hi
Hope you are all feeling ok, from our experience the best way to find friends is to mix with the locals as our embroidery student found! All universities should have student suppoort services that can help you get involved in activities. Universities in Australia and Universities in the Netherlands all have to sign a code of conduct for international students to ensure students have top support. :smile:
Reply 185
Hello all on this forum,

I am going to Masaryk Uni in Brno, Czech republic this September for my year 2 in International Relations - currently completing my year 1 at Plymouth.

Is anyone out there going to Masaryk or even there now or who has ben there please?

All the best,

Barnaby
I haven't actually started my course yet so I hope I'm welcome! Lol.

I'm going to Bristol in October, as part of my course (social policy BSc) they offer a semester at the City University Hong Kong.

This is one of the major reason I choose this course. What I am wondering however is do you all have any tips with regards to the application process?
Totally random, but in the last three weeks I've had a complete breakthrough in my language ability. I've gone from being unable to sustain a simple conversation for longer than a couple of sentences to chatting for a couple of hours without a problem. Literally just over April.

So enjoying the year abroad like twice as much now. It really does come down to language ability I think. Being stuck abroad and unable to communicate properly is the hardest thing ever.
Reply 188
Original post by bittersweet16
Hi everyone,

Does anybody know anything about these unis?

Madrid
Leiden (Netherlands)
Leuven (Belgium)

:smile:

Hey, I'm from Belgium and I've studied at the KHL in Leuven and have a fair few friends who have studied/are studying at the KUL in Leuven. What are you looking to study?
If you have any specific questions I might be able to help :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by Barnaby
Hello all on this forum,

I am going to Masaryk Uni in Brno, Czech republic this September for my year 2 in International Relations - currently completing my year 1 at Plymouth.

Is anyone out there going to Masaryk or even there now or who has ben there please?

All the best,

Barnaby

Hello,

Although I don't study there, I'll try my best to help you somehow. I actually spent there a month to fulfil my internship and it was one of the best times in my life :smile: The university is very big though and I have no idea where international relationships are taught...

Neertheless, feel free to ask me questions :smile:
Baaaaaaarrrrghhhhhh! I fly out in less than two weeks now! Terrifying stuff!
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
Baaaaaaarrrrghhhhhh! I fly out in less than two weeks now! Terrifying stuff!

:eek:

I fly out in two and a half weeks and it only now seems to be hitting home! I think it's the fact I'm buying luggage (I disastrously broke my suitcase on way home from uni *whoops*) that has made me realise it's happening!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
:eek:

I fly out in two and a half weeks and it only now seems to be hitting home! I think it's the fact I'm buying luggage (I disastrously broke my suitcase on way home from uni *whoops*) that has made me realise it's happening!

Oooh, have a look on BHS, they have some really great discounted luggage! I got a brilliant four-wheeler case from there!

It's scary isn't it? Actually, I'm not scared of getting there, I'm more scared of doing the flight and navigating the airports and change-overs by myself! I can see myself ending up in the back-end of nowhere :smile:.
Oooh, have a look on BHS, they have some really great discounted luggage! I got a brilliant four-wheeler case from there!

It's scary isn't it? Actually, I'm not scared of getting there, I'm more scared of doing the flight and navigating the airports and change-overs by myself! I can see myself ending up in the back-end of nowhere :smile:.

How many changes do you have to make?

Luckily I'm just flying Heathrow -> Calgary, then taxi from Calgary to halls! And I'm travelling with someone else from Glasgow uni going to Calgary so it's all good! I'm more nervous about hating my flatmates and getting really confused with Canadian money/slang.

Shall check out BHS ta!
How many changes do you have to make?

Luckily I'm just flying Heathrow -> Calgary, then taxi from Calgary to halls! And I'm travelling with someone else from Glasgow uni going to Calgary so it's all good! I'm more nervous about hating my flatmates and getting really confused with Canadian money/slang.

Shall check out BHS ta!

Just the one, at Atlanta. Busiest airport apparently - nice! I'm useless at these kind of things. I've already accepted the fact that I WILL end up breaking down and crying in front of the entire airport. My layover's quite tight time-wise so I hope I don't miss my connection.

I'm rooming with a girl who cam to Aberdeen on exchange and we get on like a house-on-fire so that's not a worry for me!

Just keep calling it Monopoly money, it's colour-coded isn't it? :tongue:.
Just the one, at Atlanta. Busiest airport apparently - nice! I'm useless at these kind of things. I've already accepted the fact that I WILL end up breaking down and crying in front of the entire airport. My layover's quite tight time-wise so I hope I don't miss my connection.

I'm rooming with a girl who cam to Aberdeen on exchange and we get on like a house-on-fire so that's not a worry for me!

Just keep calling it Monopoly money, it's colour-coded isn't it? :tongue:.

Oh dear, hopefully it'll be simple enough for you! Breaking down and crying will probs make Americans want to help you which would be good!

Ahh that's great! I'm with 3 other girls but the girl from Glasgow is in the halls literally directly opposite me so at least not too far if I need to escape for sanity!

Well being an English person who goes to uni in Scotland I already think of Scottish money as somewhat monopoly money like :blush:
Oh dear, hopefully it'll be simple enough for you! Breaking down and crying will probs make Americans want to help you which would be good!

Ahh that's great! I'm with 3 other girls but the girl from Glasgow is in the halls literally directly opposite me so at least not too far if I need to escape for sanity!

Well being an English person who goes to uni in Scotland I already think of Scottish money as somewhat monopoly money like :blush:

I know, trying to get rid of Scottish notes back in England is ridiculous :rolleyes:!

Haha, hopefully they'll take pity on me and be flabbergasted by my accent :biggrin:.

I'm entirely on my own but I imagine there'll be a lot flying in from Atlanta to my school so should see a lot of other bewildered looking student-y types.
I know, trying to get rid of Scottish notes back in England is ridiculous :rolleyes:!

Haha, hopefully they'll take pity on me and be flabbergasted by my accent :biggrin:.

I'm entirely on my own but I imagine there'll be a lot flying in from Atlanta to my school so should see a lot of other bewildered looking student-y types.

I have to spend all my Scottish money before coming home :sadnod:

Yeah look out for confused people with large amounts of luggage!
Hi,

I need advice. I am planning on doing an Electrical Engineering degree. I contemplated doing this in the States but after research I learnt that this would be too expensive.

I really want to study abroad so I learnt that you can do a year studying abroad within some EE courses. I've only found this for MEng degrees still haven't found an option for BEng. How is the year abroad funded? What will I need to pay (tution fees??) Is it hard to get a succesful application?

I would be grateful if anyone with experience could advise me on the process and benefits and alternatives.
Hey guys, I'm really interested in studying in Copenhagen next year (Politics, I'm at Bristol right now) so would love to hear from anyone who is there ! Positives and negatives please :smile:

I'm starting to worry about it possibly being a bit boring... ? As in it's too spread out and there is any real student centre as there is in Bristol, but these concerns aren't really based on fact.

My only other European option is Gothenburg, which I know even less about, but I really want to be in Europe...

Quick Reply