The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Just finished watching Reservoir Dogs! Mashallah, what a film :adore:
Just watched 500 days of summer. Considering I think the two main actors have been great in most other stuff they've been in I thought this would be good. Nope. Started off well, and laughed a few times in the first five minutes, but it just came off a standard boring romantic film. There was an attempt to do something a bit different in the way the chronology was a bit off, (probably why people acclaim it for being different) and that was interesting - while it lasted. The last 30 minutes completely forgot about that interesting way of portraying the story, and went into chronological order. And it was so boring and predictable. I don't even watch these kind of films (I hate romantically themed films with a passion, watched this like I say because of the stars, and the promise of something different) and I knew what was going to happen way before it did.
War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. I'm not too sure what I think. Parts were alright considering I finished the book of it last night and other parts were sheer what the fudge? For example, makes more sense that the Martians attack all the Earth rather than just England and specifically around London. However the sentiment at the end with Cruise's boy somehow surviving the running into the middle of the battle between the army and the Martians...typical hollywood.

I hated as well how they placed effectively three characters into one. Ogilvy, he's meant to be an astronomer but in this he acts as the curate who goes with the narrator and is captured by the Martians after being buried in a house for over a week. However he also became the artilleryman with some of his lines and his digging towards the sewers. I would also have preferred it if the cylinders actually landed in the movie rather than the Martians zapping themselves down to them. It never really explained why the cylinders were there before although one assumes it was the Martians inside died like the Martians in the film.

Overall I'd give it a 5/10. Room for improvement but was rather enjoyable on its own.

I should stop watching movies where I have read the book first :moon:
Original post by SirMasterKey

Words to live by :sad: The only adaptations that have come close for me are LOTR (obvs) and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest..
Reply 7324
Original post by ManBeast
Anyone worked for Cineworld? Just applied for a job there and was wondering if anyone had any experiences?

I do, and I actually enjoy it, sad to be leaving in less than 2 weeks. Your experience will largely depend on the site you are at and the management team. Fortunately for me, my management team is excellent so it has all worked out rather well. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
This has probably been talked about before, but I recently watched Tyrannosaur (on my long list of films to watch after A-Levels). What did everyone think of it?

The acting was undeniably amazing but I really didn't like the rape scene :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 7326
Original post by Delta Aitch
Just finished watching Reservoir Dogs! Mashallah, what a film :adore:

My favourite Tarantino film. :yep:

SirMasterKey

That's funny - I generally try to make sure I've read a book before I approach the film. :p:

pinkpenguin

Words to live by :sad: The only adaptations that have come close for me are LOTR (obvs) and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest..

The Godfather? :holmes:
Original post by Abiraleft

The Godfather? :holmes:

In terms of accuracy perhaps. But that is one hell of a terribly written book :redface: My analysis is with regard to books that are actually good.. (love the story, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly 'great'. Too much talk about Sonny and his special abilities...)
Reply 7328
Original post by pinkpenguin
In terms of accuracy perhaps. But that is one hell of a terribly written book :redface: My analysis is with regard to books that are actually good.. (love the story, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly 'great'. Too much talk about Sonny and his special abilities...)

Ah, I see. That was the first case where I thought the film was better than the book - but I agree that I didn't find the book to be particularly well-written. :tongue:

That's funny - I generally try to make sure I've read a book before I approach the film. :p:

Same. I think Harry Potter was a perfect example of this, for me. :tongue:

Well it's always good to know how the story should have unfolded however if I've read it I usually like the film to be more faithful to the book than it is. I also just think how I would have made it myself. :moon:
Reply 7331
Looking forward to this! :biggrin:
[video="youtube;XvuNfq5vN-w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvuNfq5vN-w&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Watching Bronson for the first time.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
I didn't even know they were remaking this. Oh dear sweet Odin no. Kill it with fire.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/15/robert-pattinson-cast-as-lawrence-of-arabia_n_1777746.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
Reply 7334
Original post by Joey Tribbiani
Can't wait for taken 2!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

It looks pretty bad imo. Will give it a chance though.
My favourite Tarantino film. :yep:

It's such a great film! I don't know how I've got this far in life having not seen it. I've also yet to see the Kill Bill films :plz2:
Reply 7336
Original post by Retro.spex
Watching Bronson for the first time.

Did you like it? I thought it was a fairly decent film overall, but the ending was pretty effective for me (stylistically, maybe?) and left me a bit shaken. :o: For much of it, though, I wasn't sure the (deliberate) contradiction between style and content worked especially well. I think NWR was going for a A Clockwork Orange sort of atmosphere, and I don't think he quite pulled it off.

Also, to answer your earlier post, I really liked Tyrannosaur. :smile: What didn't you like about the rape scene? I suppose it might have worked if done a bit differently. If I was directing it, I suppose I might have

Spoiler

I have to admit, though, that I didn't recognize Peter Mullan as Mother Superior from Trainspotting when I first saw Tyrannosaur. :colondollar: That's a good bit of versatility there!
Did you like it? I thought it was a fairly decent film overall, but the ending was pretty effective for me (stylistically, maybe?) and left me a bit shaken. :o: For much of it, though, I wasn't sure the (deliberate) contradiction between style and content worked especially well. I think NWR was going for a A Clockwork Orange sort of atmosphere, and I don't think he quite pulled it off.

I did! I found it scarily funny... I felt myself laughing at a lot of points and thinking "should I be laughing right now?". I agree though the style is really effective for leaving an impression but I also wasn't totally convinced. I thought it was going to go a bit deeper than it did and I felt the scenes were a bit repetitive? Tom Hardy was definitely great in it though, I can't really fault him.

Also, to answer your earlier post, I really liked Tyrannosaur. :smile: What didn't you like about the rape scene? I suppose it might have worked if done a bit differently. If I was directing it, I suppose I might have

Spoiler

I have to admit, though, that I didn't recognize Peter Mullan as Mother Superior from Trainspotting when I first saw Tyrannosaur. :colondollar: That's a good bit of versatility there!

Perhaps it was just that it made for uncomfortable viewing, although I have to admit, that's what made the film so special. I suppose without the rape scene the impact might not have been as strong, I just thought we didn't necessarily need to see it to realise the importance of it. Seeing Colman's face was enough to see the significance of it. The other uncomfortable scene (

Spoiler

made enough of an impact in my opinion. I definitely still have that vivid image in my head every time I think of the film and I think it's enough to remind you of everything which led up to it.

I'm with you on the forgiveness scene, I thought it was a little too contradictory especially if so soon after he was going to rape her anyway (and he was clearly capable of doing so even at the beginning of the film). I wasn't sure if the scene was trying to show him as genuine or not to be honest. He didn't seem to me like a good person gone bad if you know what I mean?

Trainspotting is something I still need to watch! :colondollar: But Peter Mullan was amazing!
Original post by G-man89
I do, and I actually enjoy it, sad to be leaving in less than 2 weeks. Your experience will largely depend on the site you are at and the management team. Fortunately for me, my management team is excellent so it has all worked out rather well. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Ah will do. The deadline for applications was Monday so just waiting to (hopefully) hear back! Would be a good job for me to have as a student and getting a bit bored of not having anything to do until September!
Reply 7339
I watched Mary and Max last night. I was expecting it to be sad but not that sad. :frown: I would highly recommend it though, the animation is beautiful.

On a different note, could someone suggest some good dark comedies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending