The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by es.c
Orange are terrible. They offered me £36 for HTC sensation XE over the phone, when online I could get it for £21.50... and it was orange's website :s-smilie:

I cancelled the contract and went for Galaxy S2. Carphonewarehouse have an orange deal for £20.50/pm. Galaxy S2 is a decent phone, but getting updates like JB is slow.

Wouldn't advise rooting your phone; so many problems if your not an expert and don't have much time on your hands, plus it voids warranty

So the SII is getting JB officially then? I hope so, but I heard it doesn't support flash? :s-smilie:

Also, what's the deal with flash from today? Last day on the Google play store? Can someone provide a full explanation, one of the main reasons I got my phone was because it could support flash...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by es.c
Orange are terrible. They offered me £36 for HTC sensation XE over the phone, when online I could get it for £21.50... and it was orange's website :s-smilie:

I cancelled the contract and went for Galaxy S2. Carphonewarehouse have an orange deal for £20.50/pm. Galaxy S2 is a decent phone, but getting updates like JB is slow.

Wouldn't advise rooting your phone; so many problems if your not an expert and don't have much time on your hands, plus it voids warranty

I have no respect for the warranty, I don't think that will be a problem :sly:
Reply 7842
Original post by Karma Charger
So the SII is getting JB officially then? I hope so, but I heard it doesn't support flash? :s-smilie:

Also, what's the deal with flash from today? Last day on the Google play store? Can someone provide a full explanation, one of the main reasons I got my phone was because it could support flash...

It should be getting the JB update, its just a matter of when. Android 4 was released in November, Samsung got it out in May if I remember correctly, that's 6 month wait-ish. So you can expect 4.1 around December at earliest. Flash is just outdated. To be honest, I use the Google chrome browser on my phone which doesn't have flash, and I can safely say I never required it. HTML5 is the new way forward and its getting more popular. Flash will eventually be a thing of the past
Original post by es.c
It should be getting the JB update, its just a matter of when. Android 4 was released in November, Samsung got it out in May if I remember correctly, that's 6 month wait-ish. So you can expect 4.1 around December at earliest. Flash is just outdated. To be honest, I use the Google chrome browser on my phone which doesn't have flash, and I can safely say I never required it. HTML5 is the new way forward and its getting more popular. Flash will eventually be a thing of the past

I like watching things off the BBC sports sites etc...

Reply 7844
I like watching things off the BBC sports sites etc...

They optimise there mobile site so you can watch what you want, and theres also a BBC iPlayer app which is pretty good and has a load of content to watch
S II or One S, guys? I can't decide :redface:
Original post by + polarity -
S II or One S, guys? I can't decide :redface:

I would go for One S personally. Then again I'm a bit biased towards HTC because my Desire has been great. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
I would go for One S personally. Then again I'm a bit biased towards HTC because my Desire has been great. :smile:

I touched a One S a few days ago, and I really liked it, very nice to hold. However, the lack of a card slot*, and the Adreno (compared to the Mali)... :/

Does this mean the Adreno 225 and (old) Mali 400 are pretty much the same? (1:26)

That's interesting.
Nah I think the One S just ****ed the S2 up
Reply 7850
So I got a Galaxy Nexus back in my hands today for the first time in about 3.5 months (after not being bothered to send it off for insurance then the insurance company taking nearly a month to process the claim) and decided to root and flash CM10 as my first ROM. Have to say I am loving it! Was a bit of a pain fiddling with the drivers and such but then using the toolkit to unlock and root was a breeze, and flashing the ROM was easy! Even installed myself a nice new custom boot animation.
Original post by tface
So I got a Galaxy Nexus back in my hands today for the first time in about 3.5 months (after not being bothered to send it off for insurance then the insurance company taking nearly a month to process the claim) and decided to root and flash CM10 as my first ROM. Have to say I am loving it! Was a bit of a pain fiddling with the drivers and such but then using the toolkit to unlock and root was a breeze, and flashing the ROM was easy! Even installed myself a nice new custom boot animation.

Good work! Just remember that now you've started flashing custom ROMs, you'll never stop. :yep: Titanium Backup is your friend here!
Just got my PAC (code) and ordered my One S :colondollar:
Reply 7853
Original post by mikeyd85
Good work! Just remember that now you've started flashing custom ROMs, you'll never stop. :yep: Titanium Backup is your friend here!

So true, I am already eyeing an AOKP JB build :teeth: Gonna start flashing my Nexus 7 too :tongue:
Just got my PAC (code) and ordered my One S :colondollar:

Nice phone. Mate has one, I really quite like it. How much I'd like it even more if she let me put a custom ROM on it though...

Original post by tface
So true, I am already eyeing an AOKP JB build :teeth: Gonna start flashing my Nexus 7 too :tongue:

:colone: AOKP > AOSP, IMO. :yep:
Original post by mikeyd85
Nice phone. Mate has one, I really quite like it. How much I'd like it even more if she let me put a custom ROM on it though...

I think I'll be putting a different ROM on it, but I'm not sure when. I didn't even give Sense a chance last time, but I'll be busy for the next few weeks, so maybe I'll flash after that period.

The rooting procedure looks way more complicated than it was for the Hero though :s-smilie:
Original post by TheCasual
My GS2 auto updated to ICS 4.04 yesterday. Thought I'd have to do through Kies though
Original post by es.c

The changes in the codebase from 2.3.3 to 4.0.x we're huge hence why it took so long, look at the guys from CM as well for a comparison with how quick you can get stock onto the phone. That said now that the hard work has been done then it should be a bit quicker to get 4.1.x on the S2. Well that's the hope
My mum's S2 is still on 2.3.3 :nothing:
My mum's S2 is still on 2.3.3 :nothing:

:wtf: Upgrade it for her :ahee:
:wtf: Upgrade it for her :ahee:

I'll be installing Kies shortly. Will I have to back up first? :dong:

Latest

Trending

Trending