The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
-hugging- Anyone else find it really hard to believe that your uni didnt accept you by mistake?

That happened to me last year. Exeter were like, you didn't meet our minimum grades required and I checked them again and they were AAB..so I sent an email saying I understood if I were rejected but I got A*AB; so can I have the ACTUAL reason you rejected me?

Then they were like, it was an error, we actually accepted you. BOOM

One year down the line..I quit after a month, work at ASDA and going back to my LOCAL uni in September haha. YOLO.
Original post by sentiment
I bloody well hope not! Just not sure how successful I'd be in getting them prescribed or whether I'd be expected to try therapy or something first. To be totally honest, I'm not really up for tackling the disorder itself just yet, I would just like something to stop me feeling so **** all the time.

They may prescribe them if you are considered to have a co-existing depressive illness. You've made a really good point about distinguishing one part of your experience from the other as you want to improve your concentration and your depressed mood. As anti-depressants are very often really useful and effective at doing this you are in with a chance of getting prescribed so long as they don't consider them physically dangerous for you. It does depend on your doctor. Just make sure you keep the GP on track by saying something like you are undertaking lots of positive behavioural adjustments regarding your disorder but you feel that you also battling depression and this is making it all hard (or whatever works/is true for you).

Good luck! I hope you can get some help with the poor mood.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MelissaJayne
That happened to me last year. Exeter were like, you didn't meet our minimum grades required and I checked them again and they were AAB..so I sent an email saying I understood if I were rejected but I got A*AB; so can I have the ACTUAL reason you rejected me?

One year down the line..I quit after a month, work at ASDA and going back to my LOCAL uni in September haha. YOLO.

Yay. I got Needed ABB, got BBB. Track shown unconditional, and I've got the congrats you're coming to Sheff email.
Yay. I got Needed ABB, got BBB. Track shown unconditional, and I've got the congrats you're coming to Sheff email.

Well done! Hi-ho-hi-ho it's off to Sheffield you go
Hope everyone is doing well.

Silly question but I've just registered with a new dentist and need to complete a medical record before my first check up. Should I mention that I'm bulimic?

-hugging- Anyone else find it really hard to believe that your uni didnt accept you by mistake?

When I did it first time round, yes - I got CDD and my offer was BBB but I was still accepted :colondollar:
Congrats to everyone getting results today!

On a slightly less cheery note, does anyone have any experience of taking anti-depressants directly in relation to their eating disorder? My mental faculties/rational thinking have not returned over the summer despite eating well and I'm starting to wonder if medication would help.

Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently on Citalopram and have been since March- but to be honest I'm more on them due to my depression. Rather than the 'wait and see' thing with depression my GP put me on them straight away basically due to the fact that I was practically suicidal (not actually going to 'commit' but the thoughts of not existing anymore were there). However, these drugs have made me incredibly anxious beyond belief and the need of control is stronger than ever. In my case, I've become aware I'm in more need of control of knowing how many calories I'm having a day, if theres a meal change plan or whatever I just crumble.

...When I started the drugs I had no idea who I was or what was going on for like 2 weeks. I was totally spaced out.

I was put on Citalopram, again mainly for my depression. However, I found it did the opposite and made me fee a lot stronger and kind of helped to lessen the depression so I could focus on getting out of the ED. Different people react in different ways.

Original post by cowsforsale
Hope everyone is doing well.

Silly question but I've just registered with a new dentist and need to complete a medical record before my first check up. Should I mention that I'm bulimic?

Yes, you should. It can seriously affect the health of your teeth, so definitely mention it. I had to declare I used to be anorexic despite having been recovered for 2 years when I went and they still asked about whether I purged.
Original post by MelissaJayne

I saw the word 'Exeter' and got excited, then read that you dropped out :\ we could have totes been friends! Still, uni is not for everyone. x
I've posted in here before, but then things got better and I tried not to think about everything. However, recently things have gotten worse and I feel like I'll be back again, more frequently than before.

I've been the same weight for the past 6ish months and although it didn't bother me before, it is REALLY starting to drag me down now. It seems like every single girl I see is tiny and I can only see myself getting bigger. Recently during the week I've been eating less than 1000kcal and even then it is only fruit, veg and quorn I eat - nothing 'bad'. For the one night I am with my fiance alone we have wine, some crisps and just relax and for that night I don't feel bad, but the next day I feel awful.
It's getting to the point now, that today I have 2 slices of toast, an apple and then went to a chinese buffet where I had two small plates of the 'starter' food, and never even finished them and now I feel crap. I walked around for about 2 hours beforehand, pushing a pram with a 28-29lb 2year old in it and I'll be exercising later tonight, but I don't feel that justifies anything, even though in total I've eaten less than about 1800kcal I'd say.
I've already planned to eat only fruit tomorrow, do a home exercise, go to the gym and work an 8 hour bar/waitressing shift in order to counteract what I ate today.

It's honestly soul destroying, I know it's not healthy, but my drive to just lose weight is clouding everything else.
Got an appointment at the doctors at 8am next Friday (:sad: 8am! :sad:) to see if I can get something for the anxiety I'm currently experiencing; but I'm so totally lost as to what I want for it. I definitely don't want SSRIs (bad experiences on them) and don't want anything that changes my perception (drowsy etc.) as I dissociate when I'm stressed and tiredness makes it worse. Anyone had experience with anxiety meds?
Reply 4150
Congrats on the a level results guys!!

I am taking my brother out for meal tomorrow because he has failed his :frown: He's been extremely ill with cancer and i'm just proud of him for going and doing these exams in amongst the surgeries and seizures and everything else. Really puts things into perspective and i'm so grateful for that.

I'm going through my days on cloud 9. Some days i'll have a load of junk... but now I can just laugh and think 'oh well, a few healthy days then'. Nothing is extreme or urgent or provoking anxiety. I seem to be having a mixture of healthy days, indulgent days and careful maintenance days (which i'm guessing is like any other 20 year old??)
Guys, does anyone else find the mention of food in here make them feel a little on edge??
Original post by jazzykinks
I saw the word 'Exeter' and got excited, then read that you dropped out :\ we could have totes been friends! Still, uni is not for everyone. x

WE'LL BE FRIENDS ANYWAY DUDE! Exeter was awesome in the short while I was there and very supportive, they also said they'd keep my place open for two years. But I'm going to Essex Uni instead now..but I'm sure you'll love it x
Original post by Cinnie
Congrats on the a level results guys!!

I am taking my brother out for meal tomorrow because he has failed his :frown: He's been extremely ill with cancer and i'm just proud of him for going and doing these exams in amongst the surgeries and seizures and everything else. Really puts things into perspective and i'm so grateful for that.

Even just being able to sit the paper whilst so ill is a massive achievement. If he can do that, he can do ANYTHING he wants to.
Guys, does anyone else find the mention of food in here make them feel a little on edge??

Definitely.
If I see someone say how well they're doing and how healthy etc. it instantly makes me feel 100x worse.
However, if I see someone say they're slipping (which I know I just done a few post previous) I worry I might too and get anxious.
Reply 4155
Original post by Discouraged One
x

Loosing weight doesn't prove you have control. It's easier to loose weight than to deal with your self-esteem issues. 9 and a half stone is perfect for someone of 5ft 8. You won't be happy with yourself just because you loose a stone. Trust me. You are not eating enough and it's going to result you having completely distorted views of eating and your body and once you reach your target weight you'll be too exhausted to enjoy yourself! What kind of life is that! Please do the right thing!

Guess what, you'll prove SO much more to yourself by succeeding in improving your health, having a good diet, and doing moderate exercise including weight and resistance training to change your body rather than destroying your body.
So, I can't workout tonight and feel like absolute ****e.
I bloody well hope not! Just not sure how successful I'd be in getting them prescribed or whether I'd be expected to try therapy or something first. To be totally honest, I'm not really up for tackling the disorder itself just yet, I would just like something to stop me feeling so **** all the time.

i was put on Prozac (60mg) and it didnt make me feel much different, other than feeling slightly disengaged from situations and I was unable to cry. I didnt like it(not being able to cry) although i am now abit of an emotional wreck (since i stopped taking them), i prefer to feel things than nothing at all. It all depends on your needs and how you respond to the tablets, i didnt feel like they improved things for me, but for other people it has improved their life dramatically :smile:

xx
Hey :smile:

I have to go to the doctors tomorrow as my routine blood test ( have a couple every month) came up with an abnormal liver function test, i'm scared :frown: is there any correlation between ED's and abnormal liver enzymes???
Reply 4159
Anon, yes, at my worst point of ED I had 2 weeks to live due to liver and renal failure. Look at my first picture in the original post, that wasn't far off it; look how yellow my skin was.

Quick Reply

Latest