The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tspmarco
Hi folks,
I have just received the offer letter and will start my course this September!!:smile::smile: I was wondering anyone has also applied for this foundation course?? Also, any idea on the syllabus of the Phy,Chem and Bio?? :confused::confused:

I did the foundation year last year. Although I didn't move onto pharmacy, I'll be able to answer any of your questions.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 161
Really?? Thanks a lot!!! how do you think about the foundation course?? easy or difficult, also can you list out the syllabus for all three physics BIology and Chemistry subject?? thanks a lot!!!
Reply 162
Anyone also signed up for this foundation??
Original post by tspmarco
Really?? Thanks a lot!!! how do you think about the foundation course?? easy or difficult, also can you list out the syllabus for all three physics BIology and Chemistry subject?? thanks a lot!!!

It's difficult if you haven't studied any science A levels before.

Semester 1 starts out fairly easy and is taught at GCSE level then gradually gets more difficult. Semester 2 is where it starts to get really difficult especially for people with no science A level.

Maths is heavily involved with calculus i.e. intergration, differentiation, logs etc with other topics including trigonometry and vectors . Maths is where you really picks up the marks as it's 50% coursework in semester 1 and 20% in semester 2 and almost everyone gets between 90%-100% in the coursework.

Chemistry includes bonding, alkanes, hydrocarbons in semster 1 and goes into organic chemistry in semester 2 such enthalpies, spectroscopy and functional group.

Biology modules include cell structures, physiology, food chains, gametes and more but can't remember them on the top of my head.

Physics includes dynamics, acceleration, forces, and circuits for semester 1. Don't know what other topics there are as I didn't take it in semester 2.

As long as you put in the workload, you should get into Pharmacy but bairing in mind 70%/75% is still quite hard to acheive so you need to put in the extra hours.
Reply 164
I completed the foundation course a few months ago and got my offer for pharmacy. :smile:

I actually found chemistry in semester 2 easier. Which is good because it dragged my grade up.

My advice is do really well on your coursework; follow the instructions they give you for it. Also go to all the workshops and the (optional) tutorials. You should still have time for fun and the social side - work hard, play hard.

Also cherish those non-lab wednesdays.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 165
Haha actually I have taken an A level before so hopefully I can handle the course! Just wondering will the labwork also consider into the score?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 166
Hi

Has anyone gotten into this course doing a language? Just wondering if it would be accepted. Someone told me it wont?? :frown:
Reply 167
Hi

Has anyone gotten into this course doing a language? Just wondering if it would be accepted. Someone told me it wont????:frown:
Reply 168
Hi

Has anyone gotten into this course doing a language? Just wondering if it would be accepted. Someone told me it wont????:frown:

I am doing Panjabi at A2 and i fear they wont accept it.
I don't see why you wouldn't. I did politics, sociology and history and I have been accepted.
Reply 170
I am trying to apply and they are refusing me because i did Panjabi! I tried to hard for two years.
Try other university foundation courses.
Reply 172
Which would you recommend? I dont see why i am being refused because i did a uncommon a level.
I'm not sure really. Go to ucas and look up foundation year in the course search. Loughborough, Brunel and I think Kingston does it as well.
Reply 174
Yeah thanks, had a look. Loughborough and Brunel are both engineering- wont help with me getting to Pharmacy.
In regards to the language, is this something people have heard of for the course? I know some universities say General Studies etc. but how is a language not viable for a foundation course.
Original post by deepak12k
Yeah thanks, had a look. Loughborough and Brunel are both engineering- wont help with me getting to Pharmacy.
In regards to the language, is this something people have heard of for the course? I know some universities say General Studies etc. but how is a language not viable for a foundation course.

To be honest I am surprised they rejected you. The whole point of a science foundation year is for people who don't have the right subjects, so it shouldn't matter what subject you take.
Original post by deepak12k
Which would you recommend? I dont see why i am being refused because i did a uncommon a level.

It's probably been rejected because it's (I'm assuming) your native language and therefore it's easy for you to do well in. It's like someone fluent in French doing French A-Level, it's not really testing anything.
Reply 177
Hi, I just got a place on this course for 2012 and I'm ecstatic. Can anyone tell me which universities recognise the Foundation Science degree? As in which universities is it possible to transfer to after successfully completing the foundation year.
Reply 178
Original post by Iron Mike
Hi, I just got a place on this course for 2012 and I'm ecstatic. Can anyone tell me which universities recognise the Foundation Science degree? As in which universities is it possible to transfer to after successfully completing the foundation year.

hey ,, if you don't mind me asking did you apply through clearing? and if yes how many science A-Levels did you do ?
mike, i dont know about the transfer out of the uea but i know most of the students on the foundation transfer off into another degree after year 0.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending