The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by balloon_parade
Oh my, guys! Can you believe that I am finally a qualified teacher! It's taken me nearly 6 years to get to this point and I am so flipping pleased! It just shows that getting pregnant at uni is not the end of the world and whilst it is more difficult, involves lots of hard work, determination and sacrifice... it can be done! Woohoo!

Thank you for posting this- im a single mummy about to start my pgce in september and came here looking for someone to tell me it wasn't impossible :biggrin: can I ask a question, I've been trying to find a 'typical' timetable online to work out what after school childcare I'll need but can't seem to find anything, can anyone enlighten me? thank you! x
Original post by julez117
Thank you for posting this- im a single mummy about to start my pgce in september and came here looking for someone to tell me it wasn't impossible :biggrin: can I ask a question, I've been trying to find a 'typical' timetable online to work out what after school childcare I'll need but can't seem to find anything, can anyone enlighten me? thank you! x

It's not impossible! Bloody difficult...but doable. There were 4 Mums in my group! :biggrin:

So timetable, obviously this might be different for each ITT but mine was placement for 21 weeks (broken down into 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 2 weeks, 9 weeks) of which was full time teaching so 8-5 most days (although I know schools can be flexible regarding childcare so perhaps an earlier finish.) then during the time we weren't on placement it ranged from 9-5 4 days a week to having 2, 3 day 9-5 weeks. Then there is all the school holidays that will be off too.

You probably willl get an overall timetable during the first week, for the first few weeks I would just arrange childcare to cover 9-5 and then you're sorted either way, then when you get the time table just alter accordingly and plan further ahead. good luck! It will be such an amazing year!
Reply 902
Thank you lovely, my first placement isnt til january so ill have some time to adjust before it gets proper intense. Ive found a great after school club so its all coming together!

well done for getting through it and thanks again! x
I got a phone call from the headteacher of the school today. He wants to move Lydia up a class after the summer holidays! Effectively that means she will be skipping Year 2 altogether, (she's currently in Year 1) and going into Year 3 with the older kids.

I've emailed him just now asking what that means in terms of her sitting her SATs, because they are usually taken in Year 2.

Also, it's Year 2 that put on the Christmas play, so I've had to ask if Lydia can still take part in the play, because she's gutted about that.

Other than that, I'm a proud mama! She already got temporarily moved up last year for a while but then in September she had to go back in with her own age group because they didn't have enough room for her in the higher classes, but this is going to be a permanent move :smile:
Wow well done Lydia! She is so clever!! :biggrin: They will want her to sit the SATs because they will definitely want her attainment data, she'll probably just sit them around the same time much of it is teacher assessed now too so it will work out fine.

Very impressive stuff, go Lydia !!
thanks balloon.

Well the headteacher rang me today (apparently he hadn't got my email). He said she's fine to be in the Christmas play, and that she will be doing her SATs in the hall and that I shouldn't worry about that.

So there we go!
So, how goes life everybody?

Invitations have been handed out for Alex's party now, just waiting on the RSVPs. Three acceptances and one refusal so far. I thought I'd better hand them out now, even though his party isn't till August, because I can't chase people up once school breaks up, if they don't RSVP!

Sports day is going to be on Tuesday (weather dependant). We've got it nailed that one of us is going to take the camera, and video Lydia, and the other is going to take the camcorder and video Alex lol. God knows what we're going to be like when Jason starts at school haha.

One more week of school, and then when they've broken up, we've told Jason that he's going to be toilet trained. We tried a couple of months ago and it didn't go very well. This time he seems more positive about it, so we shall see.

Phil won family tickets to Camelot theme park the other day! I was kind of sceptical when he received the email, but lo and behold they really did arrive through the post! His name is up on Camelot's website as well! He's one of 25 winners! It's tickets for 4 people, but as kids under 1m high are free anyway, that means we don't need to pay for Jason. So we're all off to Camelot for free this summer! WOOO! I'm excited, I've never been. Alex loves knights, so I bet he'll really like it.

Still haven't told them we're off to Spain in September. We're keeping it a secret. I think we'll spring it on them the night before we go. Phil is getting a bit worried about Spain's economy though! I think we're probably going to change our money in bits, as we use it, rather than all in one lump, because if the euro crashes whilst we're over there we'll kinda be screwed. Plus if we have any money left at the end of the holiday, it will be worth peanuts if we try to convert it back.

Anybody been up to anything interesting lately?
So, got the kids' school reports today.

Lydia :

Alex :

|

So Lydia is above her age and Alex is struggling....not that I didn't know this already.

It's hard having them at the opposite end of the spectrum. I can't feel as though I should praise Lydia for doing so well, because Alex might get miffed. I've told him he's good for trying hard though. *sigh*

I don't think the teachers take into consideration the fact that he's currently the second youngest child in the whole school. They expect him to be doing as well as the kids who are coming up to 6 in his class, yet Alex is still 4! He's still got a month to go before he even turns 5!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 908
I think you can be v proud PMP : ) And you are right, Alex is very young! Don't worry it doesn't sound to me like you're making excuses just because you're his mum. Sounds like you're handling it really well.
Original post by Zenobia
I think you can be v proud PMP : ) And you are right, Alex is very young! Don't worry it doesn't sound to me like you're making excuses just because you're his mum. Sounds like you're handling it really well.

thanks. I'm going to work on his reading and writing and maths with him during the summer hols and see if he makes some more progress before he goes back in september.
Reply 910
New job again for me, I start on 1/9 and now clearing off all my vacation time.

Now we are on holiday, we = Matthias, Emilie, Katrina, OH, OH's mama and my parents. Vacation this year alas was done at a rather short notice as I wasn't sure what my schedule would be, originally was planning to go to Britain for a shopping holiday but OH vetoed it down as she doesn't want Emilie to go through the anxiety of being there. We were also planning on Spain and a Greek island but decided against it due to their economic crisis.

We are now in Japan, we found some good deals to come here, after Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto and Kobe we return to Tokyo where we fly to Honolulu, my dad's brother will join us there, won't be a long trip and it won't really be a holiday for me as I'm attending a conference and exhibition while the rest are going to have fun. After Hawaii, Katrina and me will fly on to New York where we will then drive to New Haven, Connecticut as I have my module abroad for my MBA..and yes it is my final module.... after this no more studying for me ever (maybe after that it is time to stop being on TSR too :tongue: ) After that module I will meet up with 2 former uni mates of mine, both are now pursuing their studies at Harvard uni, will get them to show Katrina around so she knows what I expect out of my kids or else :devil:

The rest of them will go to Hong Kong where my parents will be either selling off or packing up most of their junk as they've decided that they will resettle in Switzerland permanently. Katrina and me will join them after we finish our USA east coast trip, once in Hong Kong she can help her grandparents pack while I go for massages after massages :biggrin:

Will be back in Switzerland after we finish at Hong Kong.
Reply 911
Been rather quiet in here lately..... where has everyone gone to and how's all the mums and kids doing?

Still on holiday, been back in Hong Kong for a few days. Thankfully most of the big packings had already been done so it turns out there isn't much I need to do :biggrin:

Am so torn, my parents sent Emilie to a ballet camp while I was away and she was talent spotted to do a commercial for an insurance company. I'm so torn as to whether to allow it to happen, one part of me feels as if I shouldn't and the other part of me feels that it isn't for me to deny her the chance to do something like this if there is an opportunity to do so.
Original post by Herr
Been rather quiet in here lately..... where has everyone gone to and how's all the mums and kids doing?

Still on holiday, been back in Hong Kong for a few days. Thankfully most of the big packings had already been done so it turns out there isn't much I need to do :biggrin:

Am so torn, my parents sent Emilie to a ballet camp while I was away and she was talent spotted to do a commercial for an insurance company. I'm so torn as to whether to allow it to happen, one part of me feels as if I shouldn't and the other part of me feels that it isn't for me to deny her the chance to do something like this if there is an opportunity to do so.

Hey there! I'm just enjoying the summer with my girls before I start my teaching job. Having a lovely time so far and lots of nice activities planned. It's like being a stay-at home mum for a change!

Ballet camp sounds adorable! I think for the commercial I'd let her do it! If she doesn't enjoy it then don't do it again, it would be a shame to let the opportunity go to waste (and how cute would it be to watch on her 18th! :tongue: ) Glad you're well!
welcome to our newest member nati_jade
Well my Alex turned 5 on Tuesday. We did the usual - party at home, bouncy castle, pass the parcel, and so on and so forth. Twas good tiring fun :smile:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/376671_217289681731201_125791837_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378178_217289805064522_1324487518_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/431481_217289858397850_509220615_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/546650_217290685064434_2038619887_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/533043_217291118397724_294329090_n.jpg

in other news, Jason is perfecting his Farrah Fawcett hair style (gonna take him to the hairdressers at the beginning of September). He is pretty much totally potty trained now - even at night, though that was totally unexpected, he did that on his own!

Lydia is....well, she's Lydia, same as ever really. She has an awful chesty cough at the moment, I hope it's not a chest infection. I'm seeing how she goes with Calpol and cough syrup,, but if she doesn't seem like she's getting better we'll be taking her to the docs.

We went to Camelot theme park last week. Phil won family tickets. That was fun.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/404117_215443655249137_1594625318_n.jpg

And I guess that's about it for my news lately. Hope everybody is well.

balloon - I'm glad you're enjoying your summer :smile:
Reply 915
Original post by Herr

I think you should let Emilie do the commercial, what harm can it do?.
Reply 916
Original post by Annie72
I think you should let Emilie do the commercial, what harm can it do?.

Privacy issues, time required as it requires a good 6 months of rehearsals, not sure if it is actually fair on her to be subjected to this.

Either way I got out-voted by my OH and parents so I decided I will be supportive of her being in it and hope it turns out for the best.
Reply 917
Experiences of student parents.
[INDENT]For my dissertation I am researching the experiences of student parents' identities and the challenges and enjoyments parents face whilst studying. If any student with dependants could help me out by sharing their experience, please let me know! [/INDENT]
Reply 918
How's everyone doing? We are back from our trips, arghhhh feel as if it was too short :tongue: Felt as if I should have eaten a few more rounds at my favourite restaurants while in Hong Kong.

Parents finally with a heavy heart sold off their last home in Hong Kong, can't believe the home they had since I was 5 is going to be lived in by someone else... uhhhhh feels too weird. But found some things which I had when I was little that I didn't even know still existed in that home. My OH and my mum make a good pair, one thinks she is the daughter she never had while the OH feels she gets on better with my mum than her own mum. Between the 2 of them they went for all kinds of spas, shopping and dining trips...and uhhh all without me :frown:

Katrina didn't quite enjoy her trip to the Far East, she kept finding it to be very claustrophobic and the polluted air was giving her throat problems so we had to always keep her indoors though it didn't prevent her from going to all the malls and using the credit card rather liberally :tongue: We have decided that it will be best if she does IB here in Zurich, makes it easier for my parents and me to train her up and improve her life skills and work ethics. Will get her to work 8 hours per week at one of our own companies.We will go to Birmingham later this week to pack up some of her stuff to move it here and also will need to have a few words with her mother.

Emilie, this girl she has been having the time of her life, in Japan she got rather fascinated by all the temples and the gardens which has a pond. In Hong Kong, my mum and OH brought her along on all their excursions. Well at least they topped up all the clothes she would need for the year and she developed a taste for dim sums, everywhere she went she would ask whether there were any good dim sums in the area with her favourite ones being those with a big piece of prawn, egg tarts and mango pudding. My parents placed her at a ballet camp when I was gone for my exchange abroad module, she performed quite well thanks to all the lessons we been spending hehehe... as mentioned earlier she was talent spotted to do a commercial for an insurance company, was rather torn as to whether to allow it, finally I put it to a vote gave my parents, OH and myself each a vote, alas I got voted 3-1 so she will perform it, thankfully it will be filmed in Zurich so rehearsals won't be such a big problem. Only thing that is driving me up the wall is she needs to play a flute and OH has been teaching her how to play one, urghhhh the noise of the flute is driving me up the wall. She has somewhat developed a fondness for my OH, these days calls her mama as well just like how Matthias does (granted he still calls everyone mama). I told her she should use Frau (surname) as she has a mother in Britain, she shot back that is mam, the OH is mama. Anyway I did ask her if she wants to go see her mam in Britain as I told her I will be going and maybe she might want to see her mam and her aunts plus grandmother, she said she doesn't want to go, OH said not to force her to go as when she is ready to go she will say so and forcing her would only lead to the little one being under unnecessary stress.

Matthias, this little rascal you got to keep your eyes on him at all times as he can move about without you knowing, how time flies, he will turn 1 in just under a week. Sometimes I wish I had more time to spend with him but I guess the little I do will have to do, the rest of the time OH does a good job anyway. He is doing well though I think the bad air quality in Hong Kong has affected his nose as well, he is recovering after we returned. We will celebrate his birthday this Saturday, OH is planning it as I will be in Birmingham and will return just in time for it.

Well on other news, we are not trying but won't be preventing... no idea if there is a term for it... but decided it is better for the OH to have it sooner rather than later in case she gets a twin it will be easier to recover and financially it will be easier to plan, hope if it does happen it is just 1 though.
Hi guys just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Nathalie, I have a 20month old (today actually!) little girl, Emily, have just finished a degree in History at Derby uni (got a 2:1) during which I had a year out to have my little girl. I am going on to do a Primary PGCE at Staffordshire starting in two weeks time! Very, very excited. My partner is already a secondary English teacher having completed his PGCE last year, so I know first hand how stressful next year might be! Luckily Emily is VERY settled at her nursery, and we are all settled in a lovely house in the neighborhood I grew up in, a 30 second walk from my VERY supportive parent's house. So hopefully will be able to cope.

Last year I set up a society for Parent Students at my old uni, which I'm very proud of and hopefully will continue to go from strength to strength without me.

Hope you are all well, nice to meet you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest