The Student Room Group

A level remark information.

This thread is out of date.

Read our 2017 guide to reviews and remarks here.

This thread is designed to offer advice and for users to ask questions about remarks and the remark process. It is aimed at those taking A levels or other principal learning level 3 courses (such as BTECs and national certificates/diplomas). The process for GCSEs (level 2) is slightly different and mentioned in the thread here.

When to request a remark?

Remarks are usually requested where a result is lower than expected. You feel that the result doesn’t reflect how you did in the exam and that your paper(s) have been assessed incorrectly.

From 2016 the process of remarking has been altered so that only significant errors by examiners will be altered, slightly different interpretations of a markscheme will be left.

This means that applying for a remark simply because you were a few marks off a grade boundary is less likely to be successful than in previous years.

Remarks and university places

Universities are not obliged to hold a candidate's place in order to await the result of an EAR. It is at the discretion of the university whether or not they keep your place for you, but it is considered good practise to do so provided that the re-mark comes back showing that you met your offer and the universities are informed by 31st August. If they are not able to hold your place for this year, they may offer you a deferred place instead. It is important that if you are considering a re-mark you inform the university and discuss with them whether they will keep your place. Some universities ask you to notify them about re-marks using a form on their website.

The remark process

There are a few different services that can be requested for EAR’s (enquiries about results). Please note that services do differ between exam boards. These services are:

EAR Service 1: Clerical re-check.

EAR Service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components (exams)

Priority EAR service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components (exams)

EAR service 3: Post-results review of internally assessed/externally moderated coursework

To apply for any of these services, ask your centres examinations office, who can apply for you.

Private candidates

If you’re a private candidate you can apply for EAR’s directly. Most applications are done online so follow the online instructions.

Requesting transcripts and copies (ATSs)

You can request the original or photocopies of the scripts back through Access to Scripts services (ATSs). This is useful to help decide whether requesting an EAR will be beneficial or not, or to see how where and how marks were assigned on your paper. Remember though, if the original script has been requested and sent, you cannot apply for an EAR.

Service costs for June 2016 examinations

Please note that these fees are quoted by the examination boards themselves and your centre may charge differently. If in doubt, contact your centres examinations office.

Appeals

You are able to appeal the outcome of an EAR if you still feel that your result is correct. These must be sent from the centre’s themselves and not individual candidates. There is a deadline for these, however, which is usually 14 days. But this changes between examination boards.

There are 2 stages to appeals. These are as follows:

Stage 1:

Examination of the case is done by a senior examiner who hasn’t previously been involved. If they feel that there is an inconsistency, then the case will be upheld (allowed) and necessary further work may be done on candidates work. If it is rejected (disallowed) then no further action will be taken. Reports will be sent to the centre or private candidate in both cases.

Stage 2:

This must be made within 2 weeks of the result of a stage 1 appeal. Stage 2 appeals give centres or private candidates a chance to present their case to an impartial body in a hearing. This body will decide the fate of the appeal. Again a report on the outcome will be sent to the centre or private candidate.

Further information on appeals can be found here.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, two questions. If I get a re-mark and the mark goes down, does the initial mark stick or will your marks be demoted? Also, If I get a re-mark and the examiner was found to be wrong and my marks go up, do I still have to pay for it? Because they're quite expensive and I'm VERY close to the next grade. (AS).
Original post by dontbtz
Hi, two questions. If I get a re-mark and the mark goes down, does the initial mark stick or will your marks be demoted? Also, If I get a re-mark and the examiner was found to be wrong and my marks go up, do I still have to pay for it? Because they're quite expensive and I'm VERY close to the next grade. (AS).

Unfortunately if you get a remark and your mark goes down, your mark will be 'demoted', as you put it. You don't get to keep the initial mark.

If the examiner was found to be wrong and your mark does go up, you will receive a refund, yes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Not the responses I was looking for, lol. But thanks. Seems a little unfair that even though you've proven the examiner was initially wrong, you are still charged (A lot) of money for such services. Also, What do you think is the most my grade might be demoted by, bearing in mind im at the top end of my current grade boundary.
Reply 4
hey guys I got a C in F322 and asked my exam lady for a remark she said its around 50 pounds :/..what type of remark should I be looking for and has anyone had experience of their mark going down ?
Reply 5
Hey guys, how long does a priority remark usually take? I handed in the forms to my exams officer today so hoping for an update within the next week perhaps?
Reply 6
Original post by Loz17

When to request a remark?

Remarks are usually requested where a result comes back as being something that wasn’t expected. This could mean that the result ult was only a few UMS from a grade boundary, or you feel that the result doesn’t reflect how you felt you did in the exam. They are also sometimes requested to gain a few more UMS in modules where you feel they should have been given.

Hello,
I was two marks off an A- would it be worth having a re mark- could my score be lowered enough to move me down a grade? Thanks for any help
Original post by quaveralien
Hello,
I was two marks off an A- would it be worth having a re mark- could my score be lowered enough to move me down a grade? Thanks for any help

I think in your situation it could well be worth requesting a remark, and although it is not impossible that you could go down a grade, I'd say it's fairly unlikely given you are only 2 marks off an A.
Does anyone else suspect that maybe AQA DELIBERATELY makes mistakes with its marking knowing that students will request a remark. think about it. it charges the most and there have been known cases where students receive their paper and it has been marked atrociously- particularly with humanities subjects. this seems like a perfectly plausible money-making scheme.
Original post by Mr_Rationalist
Does anyone else suspect that maybe AQA DELIBERATELY makes mistakes with its marking knowing that students will request a remark. think about it. it charges the most and there have been known cases where students receive their paper and it has been marked atrociously- particularly with humanities subjects. this seems like a perfectly plausible money-making scheme.

Examiners wouldn't risk this. If many papers are sent to the chief examiner with marks going up from the original and is seen to be all from one examiner, then he/she's going to be in trouble.
Original post by Anythingoo1
Examiners wouldn't risk this. If many papers are sent to the chief examiner with marks going up from the original and is seen to be all from one examiner, then he/she's going to be in trouble.

yes but collectively as a company. wasn't it earlier this year when exam boards were accused of telling teachers what questions would come up in the exams. i'm real suspicious about this.

and i suspect that this is more likely to happen in exams where say a student has failed to number his ques. correctly or is disorganised.
Hello Im a new member and need help regarding remarking (which was actually why I signed up after many months of tsr thread stalking!)

I did Psychology with WJEC, got A A A in the first three units, and then on the fourth final unit (which I sat in June, 2 months ago) I got a U! I really dont think I did that badly! The worst thing is that when added up overall, my UMS is 279, a C grade, one mark off from 280 UMS WHICH IS A b GRADE!! :frown:

How much would it cost for me to get a remark? And is it really worth it? I just feel like this C grade doesnt reflect the hard work I put in for the whole 2 years :'(
Original post by Haesights
no because if the mark changes, you get your money back

really??? didn't know that. are you sure?
Reply 13
Original post by Loz17
B]Service costs for June 2012 examinations

Can you not request a photocopy from OCR or is the price just unknown?
Would like to request photocopies of my F322, F212, and possibly 4751 papers :smile:
Original post by Alotties
Can you not request a photocopy from OCR or is the price just unknown?
Would like to request photocopies of my F322, F212, and possibly 4751 papers :smile:

£15.50
Original post by SoSewSusanna
Hello Im a new member and need help regarding remarking (which was actually why I signed up after many months of tsr thread stalking!)

I did Psychology with WJEC, got A A A in the first three units, and then on the fourth final unit (which I sat in June, 2 months ago) I got a U! I really dont think I did that badly! The worst thing is that when added up overall, my UMS is 279, a C grade, one mark off from 280 UMS WHICH IS A b GRADE!! :frown:

How much would it cost for me to get a remark? And is it really worth it? I just feel like this C grade doesnt reflect the hard work I put in for the whole 2 years :'(

If you are only wanting the unit in which you got a U remarked then I think you might as well.

If the score goes down you'll still get a C and if the score goes up you'll average a B.

(Oh and presubably you'd want Priority EAR 2 so it'll be £42.00)
Reply 16
Seriously I am really concerned about the accuracy of my aqa resuts . I found unit 4 physics harder than unit 5 but ended up with less UMS for unit 5 than for unit 4 even tho 58/75 raw marks for unit 5 was full UMS !!!!!!!!!!! I was really expecting around 100-110 ums for that paper. I will be getting a clerical check for that paper .
Original post by cognito_08
If you are only wanting the unit in which you got a U remarked then I think you might as well.

If the score goes down you'll still get a C and if the score goes up you'll average a B.

(Oh and presubably you'd want Priority EAR 2 so it'll be £42.00)

Yeah its just the last unit, it doesnt add up, I knew I did bad but not THAT bad! And seeing as it will affect my whole grade I think I will, thanks!
Reply 18
Does anyone know why a photocopy of your script is worth more than the original? It's always seemed a little bizarre to me!
Is it worth getting a PSYB4 unit remarked if I'm on 66 UMS and about 2 UMS total from an A? Also, what about a Geography GEOG 3 paper of 89 UMS of grade B? (Though this may not be worth it, it won't affect my grade but the latter would)

Latest