The Student Room Group

Why isn't any Universities accepting grades which are below their own requirements?

I mean I generally do meet their top most requirements eg. A in an A level subject and all the other GCSE grade requirements - they just keep rejecting me saying my grades are below their requirements... do you think they'll keep these requirements such as AAB and ABB in a weeks time where most exceptional students with AAA/AAB has already got in but still have additional spaces or are they just going to close their vacancy spots?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
firstly it is why aren’t any NOT why isn’t any

why should they accept below there requirements if everyone did this it would be anarchy

You haven’t met the requirements for a driving license? don’t worry here is one anyway and so forth.
Reply 2
Original post by UPPSY
firstly it is why aren’t any NOT why isn’t any

why should they accept below there requirements if everyone did this it would be anarchy

You haven’t met the requirements for a driving license? don’t worry here is one anyway and so forth.

firstly it is their NOT there

:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by karchun
I mean I generally do meet their top most requirements eg. A in an A level subject and all the other GCSE grade requirements - they just keep rejecting me saying my grades are below their requirements... do you think they'll keep these requirements such as AAB and ABB in a weeks time where most exceptional students with AAA/AAB has already got in but still have additional spaces or are they just going to close their vacancy spots?

This can happen if you applying to a prestigious course. For example many universities requirements for pharmacy is BBB - ABB but in clearing they are asking for AAB - AAA, i suggest you keep trying or try to get accepted into a less prestegious course than ur applying to now.
Hi there - what were you final grades? What are you hoping to study? Thanks Liz
Reply 5
Original post by karchun
Well, why should they reduce their requirements if there are plenty of applicants out there who meet them? Depending on what course you are applying for and where, there may be other things they are looking for as well as grades.

I'd suggest that you look around for places where you do meet the stated requirements - constant rejection really isn't helpful to you!
Reply 6
Original post by Bournemouth University
Hi there - what were you final grades? What are you hoping to study? Thanks Liz

My grades are ACCCa - i was hoping to study law (1st priority), if not, then a mathematics subject...
Maybe the universities you are calling have already filled their quota of below AAB places and are now just looking for AAB students and above?
Reply 8
Original post by karchun
My grades are ACCCa - i was hoping to study law (1st priority), if not, then a mathematics subject...
What Decrepitoldie said.

Original post by Decrepitoldie
Maybe the universities you are calling have already filled their quota of below AAB places and are now just looking for AAB students and above?
Reply 9
Many universities only offer out AAB and over during the application process for pharmacy anyway now, especially the top places.
Reply 10
Maybe it's because your grammar isn't very good...
Quite a few of my mates have been accepted by their firm unis even though they missed the grades - e.g. one guy got onto an AAB course with AAC, and another onto the same grades with ABBC.
Reply 12
Do you know where you want to be or are you just keen to get into Law? Try the Welsh unis, they seem to be more flexible (not sure but don't think they have the same AAB stuff going on as England). I had a good conversation with Cardiff - think I'm going to accept a clearing offer there - and some of my mates are going to Swansea. But hey, I'm Welsh and may be biased :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by PeteyM
Do you know where you want to be or are you just keen to get into Law? Try the Welsh unis, they seem to be more flexible (not sure but don't think they have the same AAB stuff going on as England). I had a good conversation with Cardiff - think I'm going to accept a clearing offer there - and some of my mates are going to Swansea. But hey, I'm Welsh and may be biased :wink:

Well in the future i do want to become a solicitor/barrister one way or the other...
I don't know about WElsh Unis cause i think they only teach the Welsh law - unless thats Scotland??>?!>
But yh, i think i could narrowly scrape through cardiff though the problem would be the distance since its almost 200 miles from where i live!!!
Original post by karchun

'Generally' meeting their top requirements isn't really the point. The point is that they have requirements, all of which need to be met - and there are more than enough candidates to meet them. Why would they take someone who doesn't meet all of their requirements when more than enough people do?
Reply 15
No Welsh uni's don't just study Welsh law - you would be studying the same law as you would study anywhere else in the UK. Could try giving Cardiff University a call, its a great uni. I've just got in on a Journalism degree. Number I called was 02920 876 000, good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by karchun
Well in the future i do want to become a solicitor/barrister one way or the other...
I don't know about WElsh Unis cause i think they only teach the Welsh law - unless thats Scotland??>?!>
But yh, i think i could narrowly scrape through cardiff though the problem would be the distance since its almost 200 miles from where i live!!!

Welsh Uni's teach English law, as long as you take an LLB course you're fine to practice in england or wales. It's the scottish ones that teach it slightly different.
Reply 17
Original post by carlyp
No Welsh uni's don't just study Welsh law - you would be studying the same law as you would study anywhere else in the UK. Could try giving Cardiff University a call, its a great uni. I've just got in on a Journalism degree. Number I called was 02920 876 000, good luck!

Half-right, half-wrong. England and Wales share a single legal system, so studying law in Wales is the same as studying it in England for all practical and professional purposes.

But that's not true of the UK in general. Scotland has its own legal system, with its own courts and body of law, and as a result its own legal education system and professional qualifications. You can't easily study law in Scotland and practise in England without either taking a GDL in England, or tranferring later as a qualified Scottish lawyer. Both routes would involve considerably more hassle and expense than simply studying and qualifying in England, if that's where you want to practise.
Reply 18
Ahh alright - still the matter of distance though
Reply 19
Original post by degreeny
Many universities only offer out AAB and over during the application process for pharmacy anyway now, especially the top places.

AAB falls outside the SNC (student number control) - the government does not count these applicants against the number of students at a University and so universities are able to recruit as many of these as they like!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending