The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How expensive is York?

I have recently got my unconditional offer from York and I was over the moon. That was until I started worrying about money, I come from a poor working-class background so will be entitled to maximum loans and grants of £7125.00. My parents will not be able to contribute any money whatsoever to me whilst at York, and I can only manage £500 for each of the three years from savings. How much do people spend in York term wise? And do you think I'll be able to get along with that much money? Also, is it 'easy' to get a part-time job in York? All help is appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
If you apply for the cheaper accom you should be fine. You'll just have to budget your money wisely. Its fairly easy to get a part-time job as york is so touristy, there are plenty of pubs/bars/club/shops ect to get work in.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
If you apply for the cheaper accom you should be fine. You'll just have to budget your money wisely. Its fairly easy to get a part-time job as york is so touristy, there are plenty of pubs/bars/club/shops ect to get work in.

Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Alkain1607
I have recently got my unconditional offer from York and I was over the moon. That was until I started worrying about money, I come from a poor working-class background so will be entitled to maximum loans and grants of £7125.00. My parents will not be able to contribute any money whatsoever to me whilst at York, and I can only manage £500 for each of the three years from savings. How much do people spend in York term wise? And do you think I'll be able to get along with that much money? Also, is it 'easy' to get a part-time job in York? All help is appreciated.

Have you contacted the student financial office? If you're from the lowest income bracket you should be able to get a tuition fee reduction and a bursary (and subsequent bursaries in your second and third years). There are lots of additional funds for you, have you been told about them?

In terms of rent/private accommodation, your loans and grants should cover that with quite a bit left over for travelling/nights out/food. I recommend going to the morrisons on foss island or the asda nearby as they're quite cheap. There are usually quite a few jobs going in york city centre (well there were when I was last there) and it is possible to get a job helping out at the university and participating in psychology/economics experiments. All the best.
Reply 4
For my first year I had about 5000 worth of loan, with some support from my family. I was in cheap accommodation (85 a week for 39 week let) which was fine. I had about 40 a week to spend on food and things after rent was taken from my account. it was plenty. ^_^
Reply 5
Just to compare, in my first year, my maintenance loan of ~£3600 nearly covered my entire accommodation fees, and my parents gave me £150 a month for everyday stuff (however I was catered, but last year £200 a month was fine). If I was given £7125, I would have had ~£1500 left at the end of the year!!

So unless you opt for some hideously expensive halls you will be fine. To answer your initial question, York is not particularly expensive. Like any place just be smart, don't go on nights out 5 times a week and don't buy too many clothes/games/electronics/textbooks (which you would most likely buy online anyway!)
Reply 6
I get the maximum loans/grants and the York bursary but from the £3000 fees, not the £9000 fees, so I think you probably get a lot more now. I don't get any help from my parents and I don't really have any savings. It's been absolutely plenty. In my experience I'm actually a lot better off than friends who get less in grants and loans and have to have help from their parents.
Reply 7
Removed
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by atomicmedic
I think you have it good, I get the minimum maintainance loan of £2800 but my parents will be giving me £2000, this gives me £4800 which happens to be the same cost as the more expensive accommodation I had to get :frown:

The accommodation stupid was really stupid- you've all put my mind at rest now- I'm sorry to hear that you're going to struggle for uni- I wish you the best.
Reply 9
Removed
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by atomicmedic
Thanks, I should be ok, I have a very small amount in my bank to survive of until I can find a part time job.

Good luck mate
Hi!
I live in york, and i'm always constantly suprised how cheap things are here, if you go into town on a thursday (student night) it's ridiculous how much booze you can get in you for even £10...
Other stuff is cheap too, there's a really good resteraunt called "The spiriurgate centre" which does stuff like baked potatoes for £3.20 and cake for £1.50
Hope this helps put your mind at rest!
Harry
I loved in York for a year when I was doing my masters and found things to be a lot cheaper than London.

Posted from my Galaxy note
Reply 13
Original post by Aeschylus
Have you contacted the student financial office? If you're from the lowest income bracket you should be able to get a tuition fee reduction and a bursary (and subsequent bursaries in your second and third years). There are lots of additional funds for you, have you been told about them?

Do you have to contact them? I thought they already had your financial data and would contact you if you're eligible... (please correct me if I'm wrong, this is something I need to know).
Original post by Accalia
Do you have to contact them? I thought they already had your financial data and would contact you if you're eligible... (please correct me if I'm wrong, this is something I need to know).

Well it depends on your parent's income but if it's (iirc) under 42k you should be eligible for at least something... if you've received no letter you should phone the support office they're very nice people :smile:
Reply 15
If you didn't specifically request that Student Finance not pass your information on to the university, and you're from a family with an income under £40,000, you'll get a bursary paid into your account without having to lift a finger- usually quite a sum, as well.

Check the university's website- it's got all the details.

Suffice it to say that York's entirely survivable on a budget.
Reply 16
Original post by Accalia

ring them yourself, even if its just to check! can't leave something like this up to chance...
Reply 17
Original post by Alkain1607

I did some internet snooping and everything seems fairly reasonable compared to the rest of the UK...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest