The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Computer Graphics/Animation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gadzoinks
Got into Computer Arts Animation at Bournemouth :biggrin: So happy right now.

Congrats! I've got my place in Bournemouth too in Computer Visualisation and Animation :biggrin: hopefully I'll see you around :smile:
Reply 2221
Original post by Uni2010!
Hey,

Congratz on getting your place- im doing 3D animation at hertfordshire also :smile:

Well done JeezeJess and Uni2010!, see you on September 24th :smile:

@zkPC has your status changed yet? I'm back in university next Tuesday so PM me if you want me to look up your records - if you got the grades you should get in :smile: The admissions staff are probably somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of data they have to process at the moment.

And well done to all the rest of you who got where you wanted to do, surviving the end of the A-levels is a very tough time, especially when you need to get high grades.
Reply 2222
Original post by Wonganout
Congrats! I've got my place in Bournemouth too in Computer Visualisation and Animation :biggrin: hopefully I'll see you around :smile:

Original post by gadzoinks
Got into Computer Arts Animation at Bournemouth :biggrin: So happy right now.

Congrats guys! i'm studying Animation arts & will be starting my final year next month.

pardon me for not having been around really, but if you guys have any questions (esp regarding Bournemouth and the course here) feel free to gimme a shout! Cheers :smile:
Hello! What about Scottish universities?
Dundee's animation course looks pretty good to me. Glasgow Caledonian University,West of Scotland, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh College of Art and Abertay also offer animation courses (that I know of).
Does anyone know which Scottish unis are good? I'm interested in 3d animation, but I want to have a solid 2d animation background. Any advice?
Reply 2224
I've seen some very good 2D work from Dundee (Duncan of Jordanstone). Abertay is better known for Games Art, and is particularly good at the programming side of 3D. I haven't seen the work of any of the others.
Reply 2225
From what I know Dundee and Edinburg college of art have good 2D stuff. And though they embrace 3D in their programme, it is not really that extensive. But if that's what you want, then they look like good courses. You can always get more exposure and learn more of 3D on the job.

And if you want to learn all about 3D computer animation before, while in uni itself, then maybe you can take a foundation in 2D and then do BA/MA in computer animation from somewhere where they extensively teach you 3D, like at Bournemouth and at Hertfordshire.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2226
Hey there I'm a foreign student and going into animation at uclan in september though i have to go through foundation year, i was wondering if i could get some feedback if i did the right decision here as I've been reading some mixed student reviews.
I got offers from the university of bradford and hertfordshire, but i turned them down, did i do the right decision here ?????
Reply 2227
Well my opinion is obviously going to be somewhat biased :smile: but I think you might want to search Youtube for the work of uclan animation students and then have a look at Hertfordshire's animation work. If you're still happy with your decision after that, then that's fine, good luck with the course and your career. You can find a link to Hertfordshire's work in my signature.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2228
And if you want to learn all about 3D computer animation before, while in uni itself, then maybe you can take a foundation in 2D and then do BA/MA in computer animation from somewhere where they extensively teach you 3D, like at Bournemouth and at Hertfordshire.

Whatever you do, don't get yourself into 3D foundation joke course at Bournemouth, ESPECIALLY if its delivered at one of 'cooperating institutions' like Bournemouth and Poole College. If you are serious about computer animation/visual effects it will be much better for you if you'll go into stationary full-time course, that will be delivered over 4 years. Don't go for top-ups or other crap like that. Believe me I go myself into Foundation>Top-Up route and I will be regretting that for a really long time to come (and its not due to the fact that I was not coping during the course - my grades was really good).
What I could suggest (if you are serious about career in VFX industry), is to do Masters in 3D/Animation. It will give you much much better then doing Foundation to Top-Up. If you haven't managed to get there this year, it will be much better to wait over the year then get yourself into such trouble.
Original post by crism
Whatever you do, don't get yourself into 3D foundation joke course at Bournemouth, ESPECIALLY if its delivered at one of 'cooperating institutions' like Bournemouth and Poole College.

Just to be clear, the NCCA does not run any foundations courses, so this has nothing to do with the Universities Media School (where the NCCA is based).

In the future however, we are looking to run an NCCA foundation course; which is looking very cool. It won't be up and running until next year though...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by moid
No problem, I'm glad you didn't take it too badly. Thanks for the compliments :smile: I am indeed one of the lecturers (and interviewing staff). I'm happy to hear that you are starting to draw. Seeing as you are considering Games Art as a possible future direction I have some suggestions for you:

Buy, read and do the exercises from:

Vanishing Point - Jason Cheeseman-Meyer - a good book on perspective and how to draw it, once you can handle that, get:

The Skillful Huntsman - Mike Yamada et al - a great book on creative design for characters and environments that has a distinctly games art slant to it.

And at the same time get hold of Photoshop and watch the videos of Feng Zhu on Youtube - hundreds of very impressive concept art painting tutorials by one of the most famous concept artists in the world.

Once you feel your traditional / 2D Digital skills are coming on well, then get Maya http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=download_center from Autodesk for free, and start learning how to use it, and then get a game engine like Unreal Development Kit and start making 3D objects in Maya and exporting them to a game level / environment.

If you zip through that lot, let me know and I'll recommend a longer list.

Do you get to make films as part of film studies, or is it purely a theoretical course? Try to use Product Design as an excuse to make stuff in 3D in Maya :smile: Geoegraphy... hmmm not sure how to spin that towards games, just use it to acquire knowledge about the world. Good luck!

Hello again, I'm back!
I spent the whole summer focusing on improving my drawing skills and have been mainly following Jason Cheeseman-Meyer's 'Vanishing Points' book and 'Figure Drawing for All it's Worth' by Andrew Loomis. I've some of my best work here: http://sta.sh/21bo5cver91p if people wouldn't mind having a look at it and giving me some feedback!

I also finally got my computer last week and I've installed the student edition of Maya 2013. So far all I've managed to do is make a ball move at a ridiculously high frame rate that I can't figure out how do change... If anyone knows of some helpful Maya tutorials for beginners then I would be most grateful.

Finally, Life Drawing. I've signed up to the UK Life Drawing Society website but haven't attended a class yet. I'm going to send the guy who seems to organise it an e-mail to help find out which session would be the best one for me to attend. I've also managed to source out two other life drawing classes, one that starts tomorrow (if there are any spaces left) and another that a family friend is running, so I should be able to post some drawings here in the future.

Last quick question: Not sure if this is under your expertise, but do you have any idea of the level of skill art foundation courses look for?

Thank you so much for all the help :smile:
Reply 2231
Your perspective drawings are definitely improving. The one called untitled in the bottom row shows a good understanding of two point perspective, although the viewing angle you've chosen would be more suited to five point perspective (fish eye lens effect if you know it by that name). If you shifted your view so you were looking to the left or right a little, this would be a good image to try in three point perspective. The one point perspective train image works well technically also - but both images (or the ones you make in future) now need to consider lighting / shading - you're using flat colour at present which is OK for technical tests, now try adding colour and light to make the images interesting. The rest of the figure drawings need a lot more practice in terms of anatomical knowledge and proportion - the one drawing of a woman's head is beginning to show promise, so you are definitely improving.

Maya frame rate - do you mean this?
on the menu click Window->Settings/Preferences->Preferences
Click on the word "Settings" on the left. Under the group of options on the right called "Working Units" change the "Time" Attribute to whatever frame rate you want - film is 24, UK TV is 25 and US TV is 30

Life drawing - do as much of this as possible :smile:

I don't know how good you have to be to study for an art foundation these days (mine was twenty years ago :frown: ), I would imagine it will depend on whether the course is desperate for students or not/ how famous they are... but be warned that many foundation courses are not very good for traditional drawing / art techniques, I have interviewed students who have attended art foundation courses that did not teach life drawing - so make sure you know that the course you apply for teaches the areas you want to learn. Hopefully some of the students here could comment about this as they are much more likely to have attended an art foundation recently.
Hello,

I'm currently studying in my final year of a Multimedia Computing degree (Predicted 2:1) and I'm pretty sure I want to do a master degree in Computer animation. I really like short animations or designing characters and that stuff (my only experience is with blender though). How difficult would it be for me and what are the entry requirements generally?
Is that a relevant course " MSc in Advanced Computing - Creative Technology" ( http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/postgraduate/2013/prog_details/ENGF/450) ?

Thanks in advance
I'm so glad I found this thread. I wanted to apply to Scottish universities, but after some researching and seeing their students' work, I was so disappointed. Thank God for student loans! Otherwise I would've had to win the lottery to consider studying anywhere else in the UK. :grin:
I'll be applying to Hertfordshire, Teesside and UCA Rochester for sure. I'm considering Bournemouth, Glamorgan and Ravensbourne. Anyone else applying for 2013??

I have to figure out when to move to UK as I want to be present at the interviews. If I send my UCAS application in mid-December, when will I be asked to go to an interview? I know that Herts take their time, how about other unis?
Does it make any difference when I apply (as long as is within the deadline, of course) regarding my chances of getting an offer?

I've written down most of the advice given on this thread about the portfolio, but I still have a few questions. There aren't life drawing classes anywhere near where I live. :unsure: Would it be a great disadvantage if my life drawings are not nudes? I've also done some figure drawings (referenced from pictures on the Internet) that I'm quite proud of.

And finally, does my portfolio have to be A1 format? That seems huge to me, I've been working on A3 mostly.

:ta:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2234
Original post by savvas999
Hello,

I'm currently studying in my final year of a Multimedia Computing degree (Predicted 2:1) and I'm pretty sure I want to do a master degree in Computer animation. I really like short animations or designing characters and that stuff (my only experience is with blender though). How difficult would it be for me and what are the entry requirements generally?
Is that a relevant course " MSc in Advanced Computing - Creative Technology" ( http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/postgraduate/2013/prog_details/ENGF/450) ?

Thanks in advance

It's impossible to tell how hard it would be for you to undertake such a course without seeing your work quality, but if you are considering a career in computer animation, you should be using Maya / 3DSMax at least, Blender is a nice thing but it's not a professional software. You can download Maya or Max for free from http://students.autodesk.com/

I would say that it is very hard to learn all the skills required to become employable in a single year of master's study unless you already have a good level of experience in almost all areas of 3D beforehand. I have had a couple of students on my MA go from no experience to a job in one year, but those guys put in incredible levels of work, far more than most students would consider.

It might help you to consider either narrowing your field down a little (specifying what job role you want at the end of the study), because more focused help could be suggested.

I don't know anything about the course at Bristol, although it looks much more programming heavy (which might be a good thing for you if you come from Multimedia, and being able to program 3D is a very employable skill). You mentioned you want to be a character designer; Teesside have a specific course for concept art that might be good (I've not seen any of their work though)
http://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_courses/Computer_Games/MA_Concept_Art_for_Games_and_Animation.cfm

Entry requirements will vary from uni to uni for Masters... I would expect a portfolio should be required and also a degree, but as to what other requirements will depend on the individual course.
Reply 2235
Original post by lavinia94
I'm so glad I found this thread. I wanted to apply to Scottish universities, but after some researching and seeing their students' work, I was so disappointed. Thank God for student loans! Otherwise I would've had to win the lottery to consider studying anywhere else in the UK. :grin:
I'll be applying to Hertfordshire, Teesside and UCA Rochester for sure. I'm considering Bournemouth, Glamorgan and Ravensbourne. Anyone else applying for 2013??

I have to figure out when to move to UK as I want to be present at the interviews. If I send my UCAS application in mid-December, when will I be asked to go to an interview? I know that Herts take their time, how about other unis?
Does it make any difference when I apply (as long as is within the deadline, of course) regarding my chances of getting an offer?

I've written down most of the advice given on this thread about the portfolio, but I still have a few questions. There aren't life drawing classes anywhere near where I live. :unsure: Would it be a great disadvantage if my life drawings are not nudes? I've also done some figure drawings (referenced from pictures on the Internet) that I'm quite proud of.

And finally, does my portfolio have to be A1 format? That seems huge to me, I've been working on A3 mostly.

:ta:

I think the interview times will all be spread out - once you've got the application done and you start to receive invites to come to interview, get in touch with the universities and ask if you can specify a particular week so that you could visit all your choices and have interviews in one block of time - maybe suggest a time towards the end of March for example? Regarding getting an offer it tends to get harder towards the end of the interview period (around May at Herts, might be earlier elsewhere). However if you are very talented, most universities will make you an offer. Universities have to offer more places than they have actual places, because not every student who is offered a place decides to study at that university in the end, so for talented students there is almost always a place.

If you can't get to life drawing classes, drawing from photos is not ideal, but it is better than no drawings at all. See if you can draw friends from life, get them to wear swimwear or underwear - when you draw from life you have the ability to examine the model from different angles to clarify your understanding of anatomy, and you draw from a stereo image that you then turn into a 2D image. When you copy a photo, you are turning a 2D image into another 2D image. Drawings made from photos always have a flat quality to them, lacking in volume and roundness of form.

I don't think most universities would insist on A1, I would say that applicants who come from Art Foundation courses tend to have A1, whereas everyone else tends to have A2 or A3. Probably would be a good idea to check with individual courses in case they have requirements like this, but I think most people will be looking for quality, not physical scale.
Original post by moid
It's impossible to tell how hard it would be for you to undertake such a course without seeing your work quality, but if you are considering a career in computer animation, you should be using Maya / 3DSMax at least, Blender is a nice thing but it's not a professional software. You can download Maya or Max for free from http://students.autodesk.com/

I would say that it is very hard to learn all the skills required to become employable in a single year of master's study unless you already have a good level of experience in almost all areas of 3D beforehand. I have had a couple of students on my MA go from no experience to a job in one year, but those guys put in incredible levels of work, far more than most students would consider.

It might help you to consider either narrowing your field down a little (specifying what job role you want at the end of the study), because more focused help could be suggested.

I don't know anything about the course at Bristol, although it looks much more programming heavy (which might be a good thing for you if you come from Multimedia, and being able to program 3D is a very employable skill). You mentioned you want to be a character designer; Teesside have a specific course for concept art that might be good (I've not seen any of their work though)
http://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_courses/Computer_Games/MA_Concept_Art_for_Games_and_Animation.cfm

Entry requirements will vary from uni to uni for Masters... I would expect a portfolio should be required and also a degree, but as to what other requirements will depend on the individual course.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I will do my best to learn Maya. Could you please recommend me a good book on Autodesk Maya? Also, I will probably buy ''Mastering Maya: The Fundamentals'' (8 DVDs - 400 videos).
If I put in my portfolio a couple of animations, computer graphics and a short film for example, would that be ok or is it necessary to know how to do real life drawings as well? In other words, if I'm not good at real life drawings, will you be able to offer me a place?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2237
Sorry, I've never read any books on Maya, so I can't recommend any. I usually just search online whenever I need to learn a new function in it (although I'm fortunate to work with a lot of lecturers who I can just ask for help if I need to do something outside of my skillset). I found Digital Tutors videos very useful when I was first starting to use Maya, I'm not sure if that's a good tip. Regarding offering a place on the MA, it's not me who makes that decision (I teach on the MA, but I don't have final say on recruitment, unlike the BA at Hertfordshire where I can make yes/no decisions). However a portfolio should show an understanding of 3D, and if the applicant is considering specialising in character animation during the MA I would want to see some examples of this work. I would like to see some form of narrative in animation, it doesn't have to be in 3D, 2D would be fine. A short film could be good if it has strong editing, composition, narrative and lighting. The MA at Hertfordshire is designed towards creative development and original interpretation of what animation can be - so we are looking for applicants that show originality and have ideas to make new forms in animation - this may or may not be what you want if you are coming from a non animation background. The MA classes are based around making you think very differently about what animation is and can be and how you might change this. MA students are allowed full access to the BA classes, which is where the vast majority of practical 3D animation teaching goes on (that's where I teach for most of the week), so MA students can be taught whatever skills they feel are missing from their skillset. Regarding drawing skills, I would like to see evidence of the ability to draw and design, because students who cannot draw often have great difficulty thinking visually and creatively - they tend to be able to copy things they have seen but not innovate. Obviously that's a generalisation, and one that I have seen broken a couple of times, but it's sadly true in the majority of cases. If however you were wishing to become a technical artist of some form (rigger, particles TD, shader writer etc) I wouldn't be so concerned about lack of drawing skill. Think of drawing as visual thinking - you can use it as a form of communication, to express ideas and to explain processes often far better than any other form of communication, and if you want to work in a visual field, it's a good idea to be able to do so. However if your 3D work is really impressive and interesting, I'm sure we'd be interested in you :smile:
Original post by moid
Your perspective drawings are definitely improving. The one called untitled in the bottom row shows a good understanding of two point perspective, although the viewing angle you've chosen would be more suited to five point perspective (fish eye lens effect if you know it by that name). If you shifted your view so you were looking to the left or right a little, this would be a good image to try in three point perspective. The one point perspective train image works well technically also - but both images (or the ones you make in future) now need to consider lighting / shading - you're using flat colour at present which is OK for technical tests, now try adding colour and light to make the images interesting. The rest of the figure drawings need a lot more practice in terms of anatomical knowledge and proportion - the one drawing of a woman's head is beginning to show promise, so you are definitely improving.

Maya frame rate - do you mean this?
on the menu click Window->Settings/Preferences->Preferences
Click on the word "Settings" on the left. Under the group of options on the right called "Working Units" change the "Time" Attribute to whatever frame rate you want - film is 24, UK TV is 25 and US TV is 30

Life drawing - do as much of this as possible :smile:

I don't know how good you have to be to study for an art foundation these days (mine was twenty years ago :frown: ), I would imagine it will depend on whether the course is desperate for students or not/ how famous they are... but be warned that many foundation courses are not very good for traditional drawing / art techniques, I have interviewed students who have attended art foundation courses that did not teach life drawing - so make sure you know that the course you apply for teaches the areas you want to learn. Hopefully some of the students here could comment about this as they are much more likely to have attended an art foundation recently.

Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback Moid, it's so incredibly helpful! :smile:

I'm going to have to try out that drawing in 3 point perspective, cheers.
Lighting is definitely the next thing I'm going to be focusing on. As you pointed out, I made those perspective drawings to nail down the technical aspect of the drawings and then added in the colour later to simply liven them up a bit! Funnily enough, that drawing of the woman you mention was done when I was on holiday, jetlagged and feeling really ill - I barely put any effort into it! Weird how that works...

I don't quite know what was up with Maya but it seems to be working now! I'm just working my way around the interface and have started to do some very basic modelling, although I'm focusing more on learning perspective than Maya at the moment.

I found some life drawing classes at a college quite near to me, they start in two weeks time so I'm hoping to get into that. The college also does an art foundation, so i'm taking this as a good sign and am going to investigate at an upcoming open day they've got on!

Quick Question: When I was at the Herts open day, Neil recommended that I still apply and go for an interview even though I intend on doing the art foundation, so that I could get a feel for what the interview was like and the lecturers at Herts could get to know me and (hopefully) remember me for when I come round to applying. In order to get this interview, should I be going through the official UCAS way? And when I apply after my Art Foundation, is my application going to be viewed any differently as it would technically be the second time I applied?

Thanks for all the help once again :smile:
Reply 2239
Yes to get an interview you would have to do it the official way (via UCAS). I can see why Neil suggested it (so yo uget an idea of what the questions are like), but if it costs a lot to come to an interview this year and you might not have all the work required in the portfolio by that point, it might be cheaper/ more useful to leave it until you've finished your art foundation. You can still apply to UCAS up to late February if I recall correctly on most of our degrees, so maybe contact me before that and show me how well your portfolio is going and I could give you some advice on whether its worth spending the money / time to come in for an interview or not? Your application would be (as far as I am aware) treated the same whether you have completed an art foundation or not - unless you are currently predicted to get less than 240 UCAS points - our admissions system will automatically reject your application if that happens, students have to get 280 to join the course and we don;t bother to interview anyone who is not predicted at least 240 because there's no point making offers to people who can't get the grades (that's not my opinion of how students should be selected for interview, but the university's decision).

Quick Reply

Latest