The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicholasng925
Haha thanks! Stats and pure maths is fun. Just need more practice and be clear with the concepts. :smile:

Not that expensive? Haha! It costs around RM700k to send a scholar to UK. Is £1056 per month considered a lot, for London? :smile:

Wow! SMART GIRL! Hahahaha that's nice! Congrats! :tongue:

It's certainly not very expensive.... In relative terms, of course. Compared to the nearing $60,000 for the East Coast schools in the States, or the practical medical courses costing £25,000 or more, the cost is definitely on the lower end.

I think you should be fine with a thousand pounds a month, although i suppose it's never enough for London! It largely depended on what you wish to do, really. If you wish to dine at Michelin star restaurants and watch musicals while sipping champagne every other day, a thousand might be on the low side. If you're fine with cooking at home, chatting in college bars and eye shopping, you'll be well off! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by whitelily29
Isn't 22nd a saturday? That's a pretty short freshers' week. Haha! Or maybe UCL's one is just really long..

My birthday's on the 23rd of sep. HAHA! You're not the only one.

I must say they have a bizarre idea of a "week," in my opinion. Mine starts on a Sunday (23rd) and ends on a Wednesday the week after...... Going to be an amusing yet tiring 10 days! :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by hhforever
Oh ohoh! What time's you flight from dubai and you have the flight number?

But i'm taking Qatar and will be doing a layover at Doha airport instead. we might just land at Manchester airport at same time, 7,15 am I checked. I don't have my flight number yet. haha
Original post by mighty_mouse
But i'm taking Qatar and will be doing a layover at Doha airport instead. we might just land at Manchester airport at same time, 7,15 am I checked. I don't have my flight number yet. haha

aw man, I am reaching at 7:55 haha. Prolly when I'm out of the immigration, u're on your way to leeds already.
(edited 11 years ago)
Isn't 22nd a saturday? That's a pretty short freshers' week. Haha! Or maybe UCL's one is just really long..

How long a fresher's week is supposed to be? :eek: Wow!!! HAHA! Any idea how to celebrate your birthday there? :tongue:
Original post by ofssinfoxes
It's certainly not very expensive.... In relative terms, of course. Compared to the nearing $60,000 for the East Coast schools in the States, or the practical medical courses costing £25,000 or more, the cost is definitely on the lower end.

I think you should be fine with a thousand pounds a month, although i suppose it's never enough for London! It largely depended on what you wish to do, really. If you wish to dine at Michelin star restaurants and watch musicals while sipping champagne every other day, a thousand might be on the low side. If you're fine with cooking at home, chatting in college bars and eye shopping, you'll be well off! :biggrin:
p

That's true! I saw the cost for most maths related courses are at the lower spectrum in relative to medical courses, pharmacy, dentistry etc. But considering I'm from a middle income Malaysian family, supporting myself financially isn't an easy task, neither for me and my family. Without a scholarship, it's a dream that can only remain at its own state.

Yep, although I still think my accommodation at university hall is a bit overpriced. The cheapest university hall at City University is Liberty Hall or Liberty Court (same price), costing £180 per week. For me personally, cooking at home, chatting in college bars and window shopping shall be a more appropriate one. Otherwise I will go broke very soon. :colondollar:

Haha thanks for the encouragement in your previous post!

My mum's birthday is on the 23rd of Sept, that's why I am leaving Singapore after that :frown: A bunch of my friends are studying econs/statistics/law at UCL!
That's true! I saw the cost for most maths related courses are at the lower spectrum in relative to medical courses, pharmacy, dentistry etc. But considering I'm from a middle income Malaysian family, supporting myself financially isn't an easy task, neither for me and my family. Without a scholarship, it's a dream that can only remain at its own state.

Yep, although I still think my accommodation at university hall is a bit overpriced. The cheapest university hall at City University is Liberty Hall or Liberty Court (same price), costing £180 per week. For me personally, cooking at home, chatting in college bars and window shopping shall be a more appropriate one. Otherwise I will go broke very soon. :colondollar:

WOW the cheapest is that pricey?! Thats even more expensive than the most expensive halls in Manchester.
Original post by johnconnor92
Hey guys!

I'm planning on a trip to the Harry potter exhibition but I haven't done much research on it and I'm not familiar with Singapore. I would really appreciate your advice and suggestions on the itinerary for the trip. Among my questions are:

1. How long will the tour in the Harry potter exhibition take?

2. Is it really necessary to book tickets to visit the place on Saturday (18/8)?

3. What other recommended places could I visit after the tour?

4. Any recommended food/restaurant around the area?

5. What was your itinerary when you travelled to the exhibition?

Thank you for your assistance!

Hi! I went there about a month ago with my friends. :smile:

We took about an hour to tour the place. It was probably because we weren't allowed to take any pictures. -_-"

I think you may have to book tickets since it is a weekend. But if you want to take a chance, you can just go there and see if there are any free ones. Its been here quite long already, so most of the locals would have already seen it. There will only be tourists there now, so it should be fine to just go there and get the tickets.

If you want to go somewhere in the city area, you could go to 'Gardens by the Bay' then out of the city area, there are tourist attractions like Sentosa, Zoo, Bird Park and all. But they are far away. You might just want to walk around shopping districts like Orchard Road too.

Right outside the exhibition, next to it is Marina Bay Sands mall. There are many eateries at the bottom floor with all sorts of cuisines (coffee shop) the food there is much cheaper than the rest of the restaurants there, so you may want to eat there.

We just took water and our wallets with us. You may want to bring and umbrella in-case it rains too. Nothing else is needed. You can take pictures in front of the exhibition, but it is not allowed once you're inside, so its up to you if you want to bring a camera.

I hope you have a nice time there ! :smile:

This is posted from my android :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hhforever
WOW the cheapest is that pricey?! Thats even more expensive than the most expensive halls in Manchester.

I know right, insane price! That's why I'm looking for accommodation outside campus now. But if everything fails, it seems I just have to take up the hall.
I know right, insane price! That's why I'm looking for accommodation outside campus now. But if everything fails, it seems I just have to take up the hall.

hey! just stalking here. but isn't 1056pm kind of low? especially since you're essentially paying almost 760 a month on accom? :eek: JPA gives more don't they?
Hey guys :smile:

I'm leaving for Leicester in about a months' time, just wanted to get an opinion on what you guys will be bringing over with you? I have a friend who'll be bringing tons of stuff over, but my dad told me to bring just the essentials.

What's your take on this?
Original post by Isaacchan
hey! just stalking here. but isn't 1056pm kind of low? especially since you're essentially paying almost 760 a month on accom? :eek: JPA gives more don't they?

Around 720 a month on accom. I'm not so sure about JPA though! :eek:
Ill be bringing all my clothes, maybe a small pack of toiletries, towel, chopsticks and thats about it. Everything else can, and should be bought there
Reply 3734
Original post by Lemonique
Try these but i'm really unsure. I'm just figuring it out with the league tables using the UCAS tariff (approximation only)
(You should see a consultant tho)

1. Birmingham City
2. Leeds Metropolitan
3. Westminster
4. Oxford Brookes (Quite tough)
5. Manchester Metropolitan
6. Queen Margaret
7. University College Birmingham
8. London Metropolitan
9. Hull (Quite tough)
10. Bangor (Quite difficult)
11. Kent (Quite tough)

I picked out these 11 because I've heard of them before which means they are more reputable in a sense.....?

Original post by jonobebe
try retaking your chemistry since u applying for next year's entry? pushing it to at least a C gives u chances to better universities.
i took a gap year to improve too, and i am happy with the results i received.

i might choose oxford brookes, queen margaret, kent. Bangor is quite good. and i got friends in Hull doing IR and business. these 2 are the best faculty in the university. Just don't choose london met, its ranked the last in every faculty almost every year. same goes for anglia ruskin.

30th august by BA :smile:

Thanks for your help folks! Any consultant to recommend?
How long a fresher's week is supposed to be? :eek: Wow!!! HAHA! Any idea how to celebrate your birthday there? :tongue:

One week? Haha! It does say fresher's week.

EAT INDIAN FOOD. Ever since I went to London when I was 12, I've been wanting to eat the indian food there. LOVE IT. Other than that. Meh. :colondollar:
Original post by pandapower
Haha thanks for the encouragement in your previous post!

My mum's birthday is on the 23rd of Sept, that's why I am leaving Singapore after that :frown: A bunch of my friends are studying econs/statistics/law at UCL!

That's nice! Well.. I can't exactly leave after my birthday. It's too late. So I had no choice. At least there's skype :biggrin:
That's nice! Well.. I can't exactly leave after my birthday. It's too late. So I had no choice. At least there's skype :biggrin:

Oh? When's your birthday?
One week? Haha! It does say fresher's week.

EAT INDIAN FOOD. Ever since I went to London when I was 12, I've been wanting to eat the indian food there. LOVE IT. Other than that. Meh. :colondollar:

Yeah, I think it's a week haha! :tongue:

Wow!!! How delicious can Indian food in London be? I must try one day! Haha! Go celebrate your birthday at Indian restaurant muahahaha! :eek:
Original post by shawnlee
Thanks for your help folks! Any consultant to recommend?

Hmmm. There are a few I think, StudyabroadJACK, ASedu anddddd I cannot remember. Try the first one? Cuz.....it's mine :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending