The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Troll Toll
But by the time he develops to an NFL level of pocket passing he will probably be too old and beaten up to run effectively, in which case why not groom someone who has shown actual potential. His talent ceiling at that position is kind of a mixture of David Carr and Kim Kardashian. He'll probably finish his career playing for the Leicester Falcons for a few grand a year nothing.

Seriously though, I'm not sure about special teams but offensive subpackages are about where he should be, and third round picks are about what he is worth. There will be 5 QBs in every draft for the rest of his career with more grooming potential (no homo) than he has.

First off, it's this splitting of opinion which has caused this dreaded Tebowmania"! But I love it all the same.

I think Tebow has a very high ceiling as a player, not necessarily as a pure QB. His running attack is second only to Cam Newton IMO and he has thrown some amazing passes. He just throws far too many bad ones too. Like I said, if he can throw good passes consistently, and continue his running dominance, then there's no reason in my mind why he can't be very effective. Wont work out in NY though.
Original post by The Patriot
First off, it's this splitting of opinion which has caused this dreaded Tebowmania"! But I love it all the same.

I think Tebow has a very high ceiling as a player, not necessarily as a pure QB. His running attack is second only to Cam Newton IMO and he has thrown some amazing passes. He just throws far too many bad ones too. Like I said, if he can throw good passes consistently, and continue his running dominance, then there's no reason in my mind why he can't be very effective. Wont work out in NY though.

You're right, he was indeed the second best rushing QB out of the two QBs in the league who are regularly given designed run plays. In fact he was ALMOST good enough to not hurt his team's chances of winning on average when he carried the ball, but not quite (it's almost as if real backs run with a low pad level on purpose!). This might be worth sacrificing your team's passing game for in a passing league which still isn't enough of a passing league to be optimal, but only if you really, really believe in God. At 25 he is probably able to develop prototypical QB mechanics to offset this reliance on God, that all the other NFL QBs have been learning since they could hold a ball. There is some kind of sciency mumbo jumbo about it being harder to learn motor patterns when you're 25 than when you're a toddler, but God hates science almost as much as he hates stats so Tebow shouldn't have a problem developing to being almost as good as someone like Brock Osweiler or Brady Quinn. And the fact that he still hasn't learnt good enough footwork to time his passes with the receiver's break isn't anything a few reps on the punt team can't fix! Speaking of which, he should be able to step up and deliver the ball in the face of a blitz with no problem once he practices some personal protector. I mean if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball, so if you can stand there while a team sends 7 a fire zone should be easy to handle.
Original post by The Troll Toll
You're right, he was indeed the second best rushing QB out of the two QBs in the league who are regularly given designed run plays. In fact he was ALMOST good enough to not hurt his team's chances of winning on average when he carried the ball, but not quite (it's almost as if real backs run with a low pad level on purpose!). This might be worth sacrificing your team's passing game for in a passing league which still isn't enough of a passing league to be optimal, but only if you really, really believe in God. At 25 he is probably able to develop prototypical QB mechanics to offset this reliance on God, that all the other NFL QBs have been learning since they could hold a ball. There is some kind of sciency mumbo jumbo about it being harder to learn motor patterns when you're 25 than when you're a toddler, but God hates science almost as much as he hates stats so Tebow shouldn't have a problem developing to being almost as good as someone like Brock Osweiler or Brady Quinn. And the fact that he still hasn't learnt good enough footwork to time his passes with the receiver's break isn't anything a few reps on the punt team can't fix! Speaking of which, he should be able to step up and deliver the ball in the face of a blitz with no problem once he practices some personal protector. I mean if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball, so if you can stand there while a team sends 7 a fire zone should be easy to handle.

That was very amusing. A+
Anybody else here noticed the shaky nature of the Pats O-Line? I'm quite worried actually. We are stacked on offense. But if Brady doesn't stay upright then all of our offensive prowess is wasted. Belichick better have a solution under his sleeve. I don't want to see Brady get smushed by another tag team of d-linemen like in Thursday's game.
Anybody else here noticed the shaky nature of the Pats O-Line? I'm quite worried actually. We are stacked on offense. But if Brady doesn't stay upright then all of our offensive prowess is wasted. Belichick better have a solution under his sleeve. I don't want to see Brady get smushed by another tag team of d-linemen like in Thursday's game.

We were missing Mankins, Waters and Vollmer. If they are all fit then our O-Line will be dominant.

Chandler Jones was impressive. He completely dominated Bushrod. Pressured Brees on the second play, forced back to back holding penalties.
Original post by fudgesundae
We were missing Mankins, Waters and Vollmer. If they are all fit then our O-Line will be dominant.

Chandler Jones was impressive. He completely dominated Bushrod. Pressured Brees on the second play, forced back to back holding penalties.

I should have been a deeper in what I said.

Yeah we have some stud players, but I don't like our depth. Also, Koppen, Solder, Vollmer and some of the back-ups have had tendancies to be inconsistent, and of course the injury history of Koppen is a worry.

As for CJ, I'm very pleased thus far.
Pats O-line are one of the weaker lines in the league. Incredibly overrated, including Mankins who was dominant for a couple of years and then nosedived - Belichick needs to sign some depth fast or Brady is going to be either throwing off a 3-step or sitting on his ass all year!
Original post by Hedgeman49
Pats O-line are one of the weaker lines in the league. Incredibly overrated, including Mankins who was dominant for a couple of years and then nosedived - Belichick needs to sign some depth fast or Brady is going to be either throwing off a 3-step or sitting on his ass all year!

The problem is that the depth out there will all want more money than the Pats are willing to part with for a backup O-line. I'm hopeful that Solder will come through this year. At least we have loads of tight ends to throw to off 3-step drops...
Ok guys, I'm itching for some fantasy action. Happy to set up and manage the league - do we have 10 keen people here? I'm sure if I posted a new thread about it we probably could, but it'd be nice to get the regulars from this thread with good football knowledge involved!
Let me know if you're keen - provisional time for a draft could be next Tuesday (21st) at 2100 BST?
Reply 4229
Looking forward to seeing Peyton Manning for the Broncos this season!
Original post by shunter7634
Ok guys, I'm itching for some fantasy action. Happy to set up and manage the league - do we have 10 keen people here? I'm sure if I posted a new thread about it we probably could, but it'd be nice to get the regulars from this thread with good football knowledge involved!
Let me know if you're keen - provisional time for a draft could be next Tuesday (21st) at 2100 BST?

I'd be up for that, I always do the NFL UK fantasy football and I'd like to think I'm pretty good haha (I came 2nd one week, missed out on a decent prize by 1 fantasy point, typcal). Only thing is I don't really know the format of the normal fantasy leagues with the drafts and all that. Still, count me in.

Anyone else got GamePass on here btw? It's awesome!
Original post by BarneyMBS
I'd be up for that, I always do the NFL UK fantasy football and I'd like to think I'm pretty good haha (I came 2nd one week, missed out on a decent prize by 1 fantasy point, typcal). Only thing is I don't really know the format of the normal fantasy leagues with the drafts and all that. Still, count me in.

My mom got my sister a TV license for Uni and offered to get me one. I asked for gamepass instead :colone:

I have it, yeah. I'm not using it much at the moment though, seeing as how the coverage of preseason games is so poor. That and the fact that they're all at 8pm at the moment (even the weekend ones!). I've watched a couple games condensed but even then, I find myself being forced to watch the same play a good two or three times.

I know the coverage of regular season games is much better though, so I'll be watching games at University!
Rams looked impressive last night. Bradford had a couple of solid series' and both Quick and Givens (the 2 rookie receivers) made some nice plays, as well as Brockers on the D-line. The Chiefs had all of their starters out for the entire first half too, whereas most of our starters went off after 2 drives.
Original post by mobius323
I have it, yeah. I'm not using it much at the moment though, seeing as how the coverage of preseason games is so poor. That and the fact that they're all at 8pm at the moment (even the weekend ones!). I've watched a couple games condensed but even then, I find myself being forced to watch the same play a good two or three times.

I know the coverage of regular season games is much better though, so I'll be watching games at University!

Yeah, I haven't spent a lot of time watching preseason games at the moment but I might tune in to watch the 3rd set of games as the starters should get 3 quarters of action which will be interesting to see. I've been watching some old Super Bowls and Sound FX programmes which are always good fun!
My mom got my sister a TV license for Uni and offered to get me one. I asked for gamepass instead :colone:

Good choice, I made the same decision. I'll just catch up on regular tv on Iplayer etc and watch other sports in the pub.
Yeah, I haven't spent a lot of time watching preseason games at the moment but I might tune in to watch the 3rd set of games as the starters should get 3 quarters of action which will be interesting to see. I've been watching some old Super Bowls and Sound FX programmes which are always good fun!

Yeah, it's good to watch some old games and some old programs on there. As I say, it's a bit frustrating that the preseason games are on so late because I'd watch them. I watched the first half of the Colts game last week (watched Andrew Luck destroy St. Louis) because it was on at like, 6pm here. All the games at the moment are starting after midnight.
Good choice, I made the same decision. I'll just catch up on regular tv on Iplayer etc and watch other sports in the pub.

Good man. Great minds think alike!
Anyone else getting Madden 13? Really excited about the Connected Careers mode. Seems a lot more in-depth than Franchise mode in 12.
Original post by Scott129
Anyone else getting Madden 13? Really excited about the Connected Careers mode. Seems a lot more in-depth than Franchise mode in 12.

I am and I can't wait. Contemplating buying the EA Sports season ticket so I get to download it next Tuesday as opposed to next Friday! Haha. You played the Demo yet? It's such an improvement on last year's boring game.

Latest