The Student Room Group

In without the grades

I was just wandering how many people got in with lower grades then they needed? given that I have heard recently that unis are being more flexible due to lower numbers of applicants.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

It depends, what course is it and where?
Friend got an offer through adjustment with BCC for an ABB course so I guess it could be true or she's just really lucky!
I got in to my firm with grades lower than i needed, so happy about it that my grades dont really matter anymore!!!!
Reply 4
Yeah it's happened quite a few times, people get in despite lower grades or are offered alternative courses. The lower number of applicants, lower A grades, more people opting out of higher education, they all played a role this year. Most people don't care though, the most important thing is that you're in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
definitely true, so many of my friends missed their offer and still got in. For example

offer for geography AAB - she got ABC and got in
offer for english lit - AAB- she got BBB and still got in
Reply 6
This happened to several people I know this year, for example, my friend got ABC for an AAB course, but was accepted anyway - I think it's actually been quite common this year - that is, compared to previous years. (Although last year was exceptionally tight, and this year may be an exception too!) Obviously though, that is just one university and one course.

Another one of my friends applied to the same uni, missed his grades by only 1 grade, and was not allowed in, for another (presumably more competitive) course.
Reply 7
Offered BBC for Geography at Portsmouth, got BDE...Still got in though didn't I :wink:
One of my friends got onto an AAA course with Bs and Cs, and another got onto a History course with an E in History. And I've heard many similar stories from friends and family.

I can imagine the drop in applicants has played a large part, but good personal statements and references also count for a lot. I guess a concern will be whether the lower scoring applicants will be able to handle very demanding courses, which have high entry requirements for a reason.
Original post by amberee
Friend got an offer through adjustment with BCC for an ABB course so I guess it could be true or she's just really lucky!

Which uni?
Original post by KAB1010101
definitely true, so many of my friends missed their offer and still got in. For example

offer for geography AAB - she got ABC and got in
offer for english lit - AAB- she got BBB and still got in

Same story with me really. My offer was AAB for History and Politics at Manchester. I got BBB, but both my firm and insurance still accepted. I would never have thought.

I just worried that those blasphemous grades will end up holding me back somehow, regardless of whether I achieve a first or not.

I think its owed to as previous people have said, to the fact that its been a bonkers year for applications.
Reply 11
Ahh, I know 2 people who got BCC, and got into courses requiring ABB
2 other friends also got ABC/BBC for offers requiring AAB/ABB respectively, and both got in
Some were russell group uni's too, so personally I believe they are being a bit more flexible.
Original post by BiologicalFreak
Which uni?

Kent to study psychology
Original post by mexicanchiliman
I was just wandering how many people got in with lower grades then they needed? given that I have heard recently that unis are being more flexible due to lower numbers of applicants.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

more flexible than last year yes, but flexible? no
My cousin wasn't too happy with his results, he got BCD, but he is going to the University of Nottingham this year, not sure what his course was, I think it was American Literature, it can be done!
I wonder if aberdeen would take me for english with ACC (a in eng lit, 2 off A star, the psychology history)
Reply 16
Friend got in sheffield uni with BCC even though her offer was ABB.
Reply 17
Original post by jcm6084
Offered BBC for Geography at Portsmouth, got BDE...Still got in though didn't I :wink:

Dude..you're awesome. How did you manage that? Congrats!
Yep, got into UEA with BBB (really disappointing), original offer AAB. I do feel incredibly lucky!
Reply 19
My offer to study International Relations and French at Sussex was AAB but I still got in with ABB! So happy to be going to my firm in Sept :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending