The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

no problemo :h:

just watched the hayate no gotoku movie, twas fun :h: been a while since i watched the 2nd series so forgot who half the characters were :colondollar: been looking forward to the 3rd season which is airing later this year but just found out theyve changed it into a stupid remake instead :unimpressed: :frown:
Reply 3701
Ok, as I've taken a sick day from work (have a fever), what better way to recover other than to watch anime! :tongue: Specifically, after chatting to Euge, I think I should resume Ben-to and Sankarea. I was about midway with both before I decided to put them on hold. :smile:

In the same vein, I decided to resume Nazo no Kanojo X and I'm glad I did. When I first started watching the anime, it was the quirky premise of exchanging saliva that amused me the most, but the romance between the two main characters really came into its own by the end, and Urabe particularly has turned out to be one of my favourite anime characters, certainly of the year. I love her nonconformist/nonchalant approach to life that's considered weird by others, and her complete lack of awareness of her own qualities, whether that be her personality or her physical appearance (of course, her fearsome cutting ability is also appreciated). Aside from that, I liked the slightly dated animation style. It was like watching something from the 90s in HD, which added a certain charm. I guess it's just refreshing to watch something that positively stands apart from everything else in its respective genre. :smile:
Ben-To is one of my favourite anime. I mean, it's classed as more 'ecchi', but I love the concept of students beating seven-bells out of each other for food.

Nazo no Kanojo X is one I loved for the same reasons as you, Aiko. The animation style was ironically refreshing considering it's old-style, and the saliva exchanging and the drama surrounding it acted as a great hook.

I'm watching Gurren Lagann at the minute, I can see why everyone loved it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3703
Original post by AaronM1D1
Ben-To is one of my favourite anime. I mean, it's classed as more 'ecchi', but I love the concept of students beating seven-bells out of each other for food.

Aha, yeah, I found the first episode hilarious because of the concept alone. However, I think the reason why I chose to postpone the anime was more to do with the lack of longevity. Maybe I was too impatient and some actual plot and character development does occur later on, I'll have to see...

Nazo no Kanojo X is one I loved for the same reasons as you, Aiko. The animation style was ironically refreshing considering it's old-style, and the saliva exchanging and the drama surrounding it acted as a great hook.

If I had to nitpick, I would have liked an overarching plot line and/or goal to compliment the relationship, but I suppose given the meagre episode length, focusing solely on the aforementioned with episodic-esque scenarios was more appropriate.

I'm watching Gurren Lagann at the minute, I can see why everyone loved it.

Brilliant anime. Amusedly, I didn't really know what to expect from this before it aired, only that it would bear resemblance to FLCL with its animation style. :smile:
The long waits for buses/trains that come with my new job mean that I'm reading a lot more manga... and my Rave Master backlog is running out fast as well. So I decided to buy vol.1 of Dr. Slump - I planned to start the series ages ago but never did for some reason. :hmmmm2: I even went to the effort of getting scanlations for the first couple of chapters to see if I'd like it, which is something I don't usually bother with.

*is not sure whether he should be feeling bad as a manga fan about the fact he's starting this before Dragon Ball, but is still hoping to work something out with The Pudding Earl about that series*
Reply 3705
Decided to give Muv-Luv a second chance after the first episode failed to convince me, and my god, the second was completely different in its portrayal. It was like watching something out of the Alien franchise. Those 'BETA' (these abbreviations...) looked a lot scarier this time around, exemplified by the collective terror of our characters, and topped off with some surprisingly gory ends for many of them. There seems to be a time skip from this point onwards where our main character, the only survivor of her squad, has renewed conviction to eradicate the BETA. I've also seen snapshots of a male squad of a similar age making an appearance, so I suspect some romance will play a part here. Will continue with it, anyway. :smile:

Naruto Shippuden was for a while one of the few anime series I genuinely looked forward to, despite very little happening each week, but now the shounen formula of talking a lot with very little fighting is wearing thin, not to mention all of the flashbacks. It's just becoming a little boring, although Naruto's absence might have something to do with that.

Following on from Naruto, Saint Seiya Omega is just ok. I decided to re-watch the original again yesterday and it reminded me of how much better Seiya as a main character is to Koga. Seiya is your typical shounen lead, but his confidence and determination is backed by apparent ability, which is recognised by those around him, and unlike many leads, he has a certain modesty and reasoning that I like. However, with Koga, he's rather dimwitted and naive, and this is something that the other characters mention frequently, even though like Seiya, he possesses potential. Whether said potential will match up to Seiya, who pretty much reached the top of his game (think Son Goku), we'll have to see. Aside from that, it's obvious that Omega isn't by Kurumada as the plot is very generic and adds nothing of note. I suppose Omega is merely a tribute of sorts to the original series for fans such as myself. I'll keep it on, and I do like Umakoshi's character designs.

Lastly, I didn't expect much from Oda Nobuna when I first started it, but the characters are likeable enough, however unoriginal, and the harem that is slowly surrounding our main character is enjoyable to watch. The animation is also attractive, and the character design, while fairly standard, is as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
Decided to give Muv-Luv a second chance after the first episode failed to convince me, and my god, the second was completely different in its portrayal. It was like watching something out of the Alien franchise. Those 'BETA' (these abbreviations...) looked a lot scarier this time around, exemplified by the collective terror of our characters, and topped off with some surprisingly gory ends for many of them. There seems to be a time skip from this point onwards where our main character, the only survivor of her squad, has renewed conviction to eradicate the BETA. I've also seen snapshots of a male squad of a similar age making an appearance, so I suspect some romance will play a part here. Will continue with it, anyway. :smile:

The second episode of Muv-Luv was my favorite, as it was enjoyable if only because of all the violence and gore. :p: The main issue for me is that after the timeskip they then had to introduce the new main characters in episode 3, but rushed those introductions in an attempt to fit in as much plot as possible. I'm not finding the romance aspect very good either... this show needs more mechs!

Original post by Aiko
Lastly, I didn't expect much from Oda Nobuna when I first started it, but the characters are likeable enough, however unoriginal, and the harem that is slowly surrounding our main character is enjoyable to watch. The animation is also attractive, and the character design, while fairly standard, is as well.

Definitely agree with you there. I'd go as far as to say it's probably the best of the many genderbent Sengoku or Romance of the Three Kingdoms series I've watched... still too generic to stand out overall when compared with the other shows I'm watching, but highly enjoyable. :smile:
Been getting into a lot more manhwa lately. Just read Noblesse (or caught up with it, I should say) and I have to say I am enjoying it more than a lot of manga I've read in the past. I typically don't see black and white drawings as a drawback in story telling, but I do admit that having full colour pages, whilst not necessarily adding to the story, does seem to add something to the general enjoyment. I am especially surprised by the quality of drawing in these 'webtoons'; both Tower of God and Noblesse are always drawn to a high level of detail considering the addition of colour.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Tower of God (in my opinion, probably the best manhwa currently) and Noblesse. Though Kubera and God of High School are both amusing and quite entertaining action stories in their own right as well.
I recently got addicted to watching BECK. It has quickly become one of my favourite series, although my musical taste and playing guitar might have influenced it a little. It's quite old-school with the animation, and you hear 'Full Moon Sway' EVERY episode; but I guess that's what gives it that real 'Spice of Life' appeal [PUN WIN] as bands will practice and play the same songs over and over. Watching Koyuki's character development is enticing, as he really grows into a fine lad over the few years the adaptation spans. Chiba is by far my favourite character, adding a craziness to what can become quite a sombre series at times. In addition, the gritty underbelly of the music world; a world filled with producers and agents, is explored deeply which really removes this show from anything else musically-orientated I've watched - Forget K-On! The music itself, whilst repetitive as previously noted, is brilliant. It almost reminds me of Rage Against the Machine the way they have that rock/funk/rap edge [Taira's bass <3], although I was left in a different kind of funk when I finished watching through. It's rare that I get upset that I finish a series, but BECK was inspiring and pushed me through the brick wall I was facing as far as my own playing was concerned.

I'm going to read the manga now, as the adaptation only got a third of the way through.

Rock on. \m/
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey all, I need a new anime to watch, I haven't seen many but I'd like to see one with a strong plot/story, or one similar to what I've seen already. So far I've seen:
Death note
Full Metal Alchemist
Steins gate
Darker than black
Clannad
Code geass
Phantom: Requiem of a phantom
GTO

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :h:
I don't want to watch One piece, Bleach or Naruto.
Original post by Eloades11
Hey all, I need a new anime to watch, I haven't seen many but I'd like to see one with a strong plot/story, or one similar to what I've seen already. So far I've seen:
Death note
Full Metal Alchemist
Steins gate
Darker than black
Clannad
Code geass
Phantom: Requiem of a phantom
GTO

I have very similar tastes to you and found Fate/Zero to be absolutely spectacular. The story. animation quality and characterisation are second to none, I wholeheartedly recommend it as my most favourite anime thusfar. (And i was a pretty big Code Geass fan).
Original post by Ocassus
I have very similar tastes to you and found Fate/Zero to be absolutely spectacular. The story. animation quality and characterisation are second to none, I wholeheartedly recommend it as my most favourite anime thusfar. (And i was a pretty big Code Geass fan).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll watch a couple of episodes tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Eloades11
Death note,Code Geass Berserk
Full Metal Alchemist Hunter x Hunter
Steins gate Noein
Darker than black Gungrave
Clannad Nana
Phantom: Requiem of a phantom Noir
GTO Detroit Metal City

Recommendations in bold. I'd suggest you definitely watch Berserk at some point :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ocassus

you have a great sales pitch :tongue:
Started watching Another. Episode 3 with the umbrella freaked me out. ;_;

Not sure if going to continue. ;_;

The death scenes only get more frequent and spectacular from there on. :p:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The death scenes only get more frequent and spectacular from there on. :p:

Mfw...

Spoiler

I know who dies next. I don't want her to. ;_;

She could be my waifu. ;_;

I finished watchin Gurren Lagann through as well. As much as I'd like to say I'm satisfied with the ending in all its manliness, I just can't. Simon deserved that ruddy happy ending!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3717
Having finished Getter Robo Armageddon, I've started watching New Getter Robo, which is nuts, like Armageddon, but in a different way: it's incredibly violent. I'm not so much surprised by gore, though it is gory, but by the casual omnidirectional nature of the violence. One of the heroes, for example, is a psychopath who maims and kills his allies and innocent bystanders for pretty much no reason.
Original post by QHF
Having finished Getter Robo Armageddon, I've started watching New Getter Robo, which is nuts, like Armageddon, but in a different way: it's incredibly violent. I'm not so much surprised by gore, though it is gory, but by the casual omnidirectional nature of the violence. One of the heroes, for example, is a psychopath who maims and kills his allies and innocent bystanders for pretty much no reason.

The main characters in New Getter Robo aren't your usual nice-guy heroes, that much is certain. :p: Rest assured that most of the violence after the introductory episodes is aimed at the Oni and various other, quite deserving villains, though that doesn't change the fact Ryoma in particular is fighting more for fun than to save the planet.
Reply 3719

I had the opposite reaction - that episode made me laugh hysterically......and then the series got worse :giggle:

Latest