The Student Room Group

best STUDENT bank account!?

Hey everyone,
Im going to University in September and am starting to look at student bank accounts and which one would be best for me..
on a website it says the CO OP is the best however i was then thinking but surely the co op has a lack of cash points
im already with santander but currently have no overdraft or anything so perhaps that would be best for me because surely i could just switch my account?
What bank is everyone else with and what does everyone reccommend?
thankyou :biggrin:

Community Team Update:
Check out our guide to the Best Student Bank Account for more.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to know too. I'm really just looking for a safety net. Which do you guys recommend?
You are aware that you can use a visa debit card in all cash points free or charged regardless of what bank they are owned/operated by.
Original post by JessChappers01
Hey everyone,
Im going to University in September and am starting to look at student bank accounts and which one would be best for me..
on a website it says the CO OP is the best however i was then thinking but surely the co op has a lack of cash points
im already with santander but currently have no overdraft or anything so perhaps that would be best for me because surely i could just switch my account?

Swiss safe deposit box. Quick flight on my jet and I have secure access to my millions of pounds in random currencies, my ten different passport disguises, and an irrelevant handgun which I use to take our twenty trained guards at once.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
well i got the co-op student account a month or so ago, it was dead easy - i went online, filled in my details, and they sent me an email and a week later i had all my info for my account!
then i deposited £300 in my account which activates the £1400 overdraft - i got the whole lot, i think most people do and it's the most i've seen. i put this in my savings account, so it's now making tidy interest :smile:

i didn't have to provide proof of being a student or anything!

to activate online banking you have to call this number which i was a bit nervous about but the lady on the phone was really nice and helped me sort out all my security details etc.

very good account imo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by canŵio
well i got the co-op student account a month or so ago, it was dead easy - i went online, filled in my details, and they sent me an email and a week later i had all my info for my account!
then i deposited £300 in my account which activates the £1400 overdraft - i got the whole lot, i think most people do and it's the most i've seen. i put this in my savings account, so it's now making tidy interest :smile:

i didn't have to provide proof of being a student or anything!

to activate online banking you have to call this number which i was a bit nervous about but the lady on the phone was really nice and helped me sort out all my security details etc.

very good account imo.

Might sound like a silly question but can you use a co op credit card in any cash machine? because im not very clued up on this sorta stuff haha
& also is it 0% interest on your overdraft?
If you'll be using the train a lot in Uni, it might be worth getting a Natwest student account. You get a free student railcard with it, which is great for me as I will be travelling back home by train in the holidays.
Original post by SharkInTheWater
If you'll be using the train a lot in Uni, it might be worth getting a Natwest student account. You get a free student railcard with it, which is great for me as I will be travelling back home by train in the holidays.

I thought that but you can only have a natwest railcard if your already with natwest since may 2012 .. :\ otherwise that would have beeen my option haha!
Reply 8
Might sound like a silly question but can you use a co op credit card in any cash machine? because im not very clued up on this sorta stuff haha
& also is it 0% interest on your overdraft?

yes 0% (although not all student account are, which is ridiculous)

i'm not getting a credit card :eek: do you mean debit card? i think it's a visa card so you can get cash from any machines. not quite sure!

I thought that but you can only have a natwest railcard if your already with natwest since may 2012 .. :\ otherwise that would have beeen my option haha!

i have a natwest current account but already have a railcard so i don't need another one!! annoying. but i chose co-op because i haven't been all that happy with natwest recently, with all the problems.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Santander gives you £50 if you go for their student account. Which is a better deal then a freee railcard because that's only £28.
Original post by Lydia1234
Santander gives you £50 if you go for their student account. Which is a better deal then a freee railcard because that's only £28.

They send you a railcard for every year you're at university. Up to 5 years. 5 railcards > £50.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm going with HSBC. They've got a cool logo. :colonhash:
Reply 12
To be honest they are all quite similar. The £50 or railcard may sway it for you. However if you go for one like CO-OP make sure there will be a branch near you!!!
Reply 13
Any high street bank will give you either a Visa or Mastercard debit card, which can be used just about everywhere in the UK and in many other parts of the world. I'm going with Natwest, as Ram92 said you won't find yourself at any major disadvantage going with this bank or the next one, it's just preference. A free rail card appeals to me as it saves ~£100 leaving my pocket in the first semester and I've never had an issue with them :smile:
Reply 14
HSBC have £3000 interest free overdraft for student accounts

Reply 15
http://www.studentwhat.com/the-best-student-bank-account-20122013-201213/ Halifax are number one though

Original post by Astronomical
I'm going with HSBC. They've got a cool logo. :colonhash:

Our whole family has always been with HSBC :yep:
Reply 17
Hey everyone,

Check this out, it was hugely helpful to me- it lists the best student bank accounts with the largest overdrafts :smile:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account
Reply 18
Original post by Aa234
HSBC have £3000 interest free overdraft for student accounts

Has to be applied for rather than being guaranteed though.

:smile:
Reply 19
Hey everyone,

You've obviously done some research already. I know 'money saving expert' has an article on student bank accounts and an assessment of the pluses and minuses of each one.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending