The Student Room Group

How's my Uni choices?

Hi!
I received my AS results and they were AABC. I received an A in Politics and R.E, a relatively high B in English lit and 3 points off a B in maths. Thus I've decided to drop maths and get it remarked so that hopefully I will get a B in maths and I will also get my English remarked so that hopefully it will go up to an A grade. After discussing my results with my UCAS adviser, he told me that since I will get predicted an A*AA next year therefore I still have a chance of applying for Law to uni's such as Kings College. My question is that will it be sensible if my choice for uni's will be UCL, LSE, Kings College, Queenmary and York ?(UCL, Kings, Queenmary and LSE want A*AA whereas York wants AAA)
I'm also doing EPQ if that's significant in uni applications and I also have no resits.
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Hi, your uni choices seem to be very ambitious. You may be able to get into them but I'd remove 1/2 of the 4 unis that want A*AA because applying to all is risky. Have a lower 'back-up' choice of another AAA or AAB.
Of course if you are really confident then go for it but remember you'll be under pressure :tongue:
Reply 2
York, Queen Mary and KCL are reasonably appropriate choices with those grades - if you can push the B in English Literature up to an A by the end of A2 and get your Maths exam remarked to a B. UCL and LSE are a little more competitive, so make sure you include a really good personal statement and, if doing the LNAT, get a good mark. You would be in with a better chance with LSE and UCL if you got the A* in English Literature, and kept Maths as universities tend to prefer traditionals subjects. Like the post above said, you should replace one or two of those universities with some that require "AAB" or "ABB" as a back-up choice.
Reply 3
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Hi, your uni choices seem to be very ambitious. You may be able to get into them but I'd remove 1/2 of the 4 unis that want A*AA because applying to all is risky. Have a lower 'back-up' choice of another AAA or AAB.
Of course if you are really confident then go for it but remember you'll be under pressure :tongue:

Thank you. I was just wondering that why would I have more pressure if I'm applying to all four unis with A*AA (such as UCL AND LSE) rather than me applying to only 2 uni's with A*AA(eg. Kings and Queenmary) and the other two with AAA since at the end of the day I will have to get the A*AA since that's what I'll be predicted. (Does that make sense :s )
Reply 4
Original post by ellie_k73
Hi!
I received my AS results and they were AABC. I received an A in Politics and R.E, a relatively high B in English lit and 3 points off a B in maths. Thus I've decided to drop maths and get it remarked so that hopefully I will get a B in maths and I will also get my English remarked so that hopefully it will go up to an A grade. After discussing my results with my UCAS adviser, he told me that since I will get predicted an A*AA next year therefore I still have a chance of applying for Law to uni's such as Kings College. My question is that will it be sensible if my choice for uni's will be UCL, LSE, Kings College, Queenmary and York ?(UCL, Kings, Queenmary and LSE want A*AA whereas York wants AAA)
I'm also doing EPQ if that's significant in uni applications and I also have no resits.
Thank you

They are excellent uni choices, no doubt, however, as law is so competitive it might be wise to pick 1 lower-ranking uni, just to cover yourself, especially as law is so popular and the unis you've chosen are among the top in the country :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Yazooo
York, Queen Mary and KCL are reasonably appropriate choices with those grades - if you can push the B in English Literature up to an A by the end of A2 and get your Maths exam remarked to a B. UCL and LSE are a little more competitive, so make sure you include a really good personal statement and, if doing the LNAT, get a good mark. You would be in with a better chance with LSE and UCL if you got the A* in English Literature, and kept Maths as universities tend to prefer traditionals subjects. Like the post above said, you should replace one or two of those universities with some that require "AAB" or "ABB" as a back-up choice.

Thank you. Do uni's such as Kings or LSE usually accept pupils with 3 a levels? And I may be able to get predicted A*A*A next year(not 100% sure),A* in RE and Politics so do you think maybe that will higher up my chances for a uni like LSE maybe. LSE doesn't require LNAT aswell which is good (But I'm still taking it anyway because of Kings)
Reply 6
Original post by smile:D
They are excellent uni choices, no doubt, however, as law is so competitive it might be wise to pick 1 lower-ranking uni, just to cover yourself, especially as law is so popular and the unis you've chosen are among the top in the country :smile:

Thanks! :smile: Although from experience which uni would you think I would have a higher chance of getting in?
Reply 7
I don't know whether York can see your other choices but if it can, it will notice it is the only non London choice and may draw adverse conclusions from that. Does anyone know whether unis can see other choices?
Original post by Crumpet1
I don't know whether York can see your other choices but if it can, it will notice it is the only non London choice and may draw adverse conclusions from that. Does anyone know whether unis can see other choices?

Nope, they can't see your other choices. Tbh, they don't care where else you're applying anyway.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
I would suggest applying to two maybe less ambitious uni's to give yourself a little room in case you don't quite get the grades. It's easy to look at AS grades and do well so you get complacent and kind of flop on A2. I did that, sort of, although I applied for a relatively lower uni anyway just because I decided to apply for places I actually like rather than places I think look good on a CV.
Reply 10
Original post by Crumpet1

They can't see your other choices. The only thing they'll know about your choices is if you applied to more than one course at their uni.
Reply 11
I'd wait to see if your grades do actually go up. Also, I would only apply to 2 or 3 uni's who ask for A*AA, maybe 1 that asks for AAA and the last would be BBB or something along those lines.
Hi!
Thank you

Don't waste your money on a maths remark because it won't go up. You either got the answers right or wrong; it's not like the examiner chose to give you a lower mark because they didn't agree with your answers; you got them wrong. A remark will give you the same mark because you got a certain amount of questions right and a certain amount of questions wrong, which won't go up. The answers are set in stone so you won't get any more marks.

Remarks are meant for essay subjects like English because they're subjective and certain examiners will agree less/more with what you write than other examiners, resulting in the possibility of different marks being awarded in a remark. Resit a maths paper or leave it and take the C grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Thanks! :smile: Although from experience which uni would you think I would have a higher chance of getting in?

Hmm probably lower Russell Group, such as Cardiff, or higher ranking non-Russell Group, such as Kent. AAA/AAB unis, just to ensure you get a place, for example if York don't accept you, you'll be stuck for an insurance. Kent is AAB and TSR members have reported it offers 'special interviews' for talented candidates, who then get lower offers - I think you'd be capable of this :smile: see: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Kent_%22Special_Interviews%22

Good Luck :biggrin:
Hi!
Thank you

As another poster has mentioned, don't expect your maths mark to go up since the answers are very black and white for maths. I was thinking about getting C3 and/or C4 remarked because I was only 3 UMS off an A*, but on second thoughts decided there was very little chance of it going up. I would definitely apply to a few more universities with lower requirements- just being predicted A*AA doesn't mean you'll get it. You could just have one bad exam and end up getting A*AB instead of A*AA, which would leave you in a very bad situation indeed without a lower choice backup. I was predicted A*AA as well, but I applied to Universities stretching from ABB to A*AA requirements.
Reply 15
it's all good except for the fact that you haven't got a viable insurance choice. All five of those unis could easily reject you leaving you without a paddle.
Reply 16
You should apply to three that want A*AA and two which want lower. You will want an insurance option.
Reply 17
Hi!
Thank you

Your AS results are very good, congratulations, however they are lower than the entry requirements for all the universities you are applying for. Many others applying will have higher grades than you as these are very prestigious universities. Also A2 is harder than AS and just because people predict you high grades doesn't mean you will get them. I got predicted BBB after AS (I got AAC at AS) and got AAC in A2 so predicted grades don't mean anything and in my experience grades do not change over the two years much. I probably worked harder in A2 than AS and only just managed to cling onto my grades. Good luck with your top choices although apply for some which want AAB as these are the grades you have got and are likely to retain with hard work.
Reply 18
Original post by 0000fw
Your AS results are very good, congratulations, however they are lower than the entry requirements for all the universities you are applying for. Many others applying will have higher grades than you as these are very prestigious universities. Also A2 is harder than AS and just because people predict you high grades doesn't mean you will get them. I got predicted BBB after AS (I got AAC at AS) and got AAC in A2 so predicted grades don't mean anything and in my experience grades do not change over the two years much. I probably worked harder in A2 than AS and only just managed to cling onto my grades. Good luck with your top choices although apply for some which want AAB as these are the grades you have got and are likely to retain with hard work.

Thank you! Although since my subjects are essay based, my UCAS adviser told me that I have room for improvement so hopefully my English will go up an A by A2 but I think that since I achieved an A in both RE and Politics then I can hopefully get an A next year or maybe an A* that's why I want to apply to prestigious uni's such as Kings or LSE. But yes, I will also apply to other uni's which require AAA/AAB.
Reply 19
Original post by Podcaster
it's all good except for the fact that you haven't got a viable insurance choice. All five of those unis could easily reject you leaving you without a paddle.

Which uni would you suggest as a insurance choice? :smile: (Those that require AAA or AAB?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending