The Student Room Group

A level Maths, tips for success

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do your exams with Edexcel , one of the easiest exam boards out there for A-level Maths, same thing year in year out with no challenging questions. Learn the methods , replicate them and you'll get good.

But generally if you work well you'll find it fairly decent to manage with. C1 feels like GCSE and becomes very easy to get a high mark on , C2 has a few tricky topics, C3 and C4 is where most of it is differentiating and integrating.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Graham 14
Should I revise all of gcse maths in preparation?

GCSE maths is nothing like A-level. Alevel maths is more pure, i.e triginometry and algebra. and i dont mean a x a = a^2. i mean like complex algerbraic function where it takes a page of working out to end up with a^2 +bx^4 +9.

its not to difficult when you do plenty of past papers and practice. theres no catch to it like coursework or assignemnets. just pure maths in a classroom solving problems.

if thats down your alley way then youll love alevel maths.

alevel maths is broken into 4 core maths modules and 2 additional (ie statistics and mechanics)

if you were to go over anythin, i would advise algerbraic manipulation, and trig. because 90% of alevel maths is expantion and simplification, also you need imagination. dont assume that its all straight forward logic. also HAVE FUN with it. you dont have to be nerdy to do maths, it can become a challenging yet fun subject.

i myself am studying theoretical physics at uni thi september and maths (if enjoyed) can make your time at college fantastic
Reply 42
Was it hard at first?

Yes, I got a lot of disappointing marks for in-college tests, about half way through the year I realised how badly I was doing compared to everyone else and really started to work at it, yes it probably will be difficult, but nothing's impossible
Reply 43
Original post by Benniboi1
It depends, did you find GCSE Maths very easy? If yes then I don't think you'll gain much from revision, just work hard from the start at A-level and make sure you get everything. Make sure you start looking at past papers by mid November (I'd say even look at them earlier - familiarise yourself with the style of the questions), that's if you're doing some modules in January.

If you didn't find it easy at GCSE then it might be worth doing some revision of the things you found hardest.

I found it quite good, not easy and not hard.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
Hello Everyone,

In September, I will begin studying my a levels that comprise of AS Fine Art, AS Interior and 3D Design, AS Mathematics (Mechanics) and AS Geography with an intention to study architecture at university and subsequently become an architect and a designer. However, I have heard a level maths is hard and difficult but i aspire to confront this challenge and succeed in a level maths (which opens up lot's of schools of architecture to study at such as bath), any ideas on how to prepare and succeed in a level maths?

My post:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1972086

Economics probably = Geography in terms of exam revision technique too.
Reply 45
If I find it hard, I will drop it at as level, however I will put a lot of effort into succeeding in a level Maths
My best tips:

1) Do every single past paper that is available to you. Make sure that you don't rush through them and finish a week early, or waste time and not get them all done. It's the best practice there is in my opinion.

2) Most of the textbooks have Mixed Exercises at the end of each chapter, when you finish that chapter in class your teacher may ask you to do some/all of the questions. Make sure you do every question there, as they best replicate the exam style questions, and also tend to challenge you a lot more.

3) Challenge yourself. If you see a hard question, don't shy away from it. If you don't learn how to do it, you won't have a clue what to do in the exam. Always do the hard questions over doing more of the easy ones once you can understand the topic (this may involve doing the easy to pick it up, and then doing the hard ones to solidify a topic).

4) Memorise the equations. It saves time in the exam, and there generally aren't that many to remember for each exam. The ones that you use/remember are often quite straightforward. But not only does it save you time looking them up in the exam, I found it really helps to understand the topic, and then you can see where you are heading/what you are trying to do much more easily if you know and remember the formulas, rather than just look them up and use them.

5) Don't go in thinking its hard. Maths, although complicated, is quite easy once you understand the basics and the links between topics. If you go in confident you will probably work harder to understand it. It's more a matter of practise with maths than actually studying each and every topic and memorising it. With practise comes understanding, and good marks in the exams.

Bonus tip: if you do get stuck, which you are bound to do at some point, use examsolutions.co.uk like others said. It's fantastic, and sometimes even better than your actual teacher.

Good luck.Make sure you challenge yourself and do as many questions as you can. The more you practise the better and better you will be at Maths. This kind of thing just got me an A*, and I have no regrets over the time I spent doing all of the questions and past papers. The effort will pay off. Good luck with it all!
Original post by GrandHustle
My best tips:

1) Do every single past paper that is available to you. Make sure that you don't rush through them and finish a week early, or waste time and not get them all done. It's the best practice there is in my opinion.

2) Most of the textbooks have Mixed Exercises at the end of each chapter, when you finish that chapter in class your teacher may ask you to do some/all of the questions. Make sure you do every question there, as they best replicate the exam style questions, and also tend to challenge you a lot more.

3) Challenge yourself. If you see a hard question, don't shy away from it. If you don't learn how to do it, you won't have a clue what to do in the exam. Always do the hard questions over doing more of the easy ones once you can understand the topic (this may involve doing the easy to pick it up, and then doing the hard ones to solidify a topic).

4) Memorise the equations. It saves time in the exam, and there generally aren't that many to remember for each exam. The ones that you use/remember are often quite straightforward. But not only does it save you time looking them up in the exam, I found it really helps to understand the topic, and then you can see where you are heading/what you are trying to do much more easily if you know and remember the formulas, rather than just look them up and use them.

5) Don't go in thinking its hard. Maths, although complicated, is quite easy once you understand the basics and the links between topics. If you go in confident you will probably work harder to understand it. It's more a matter of practise with maths than actually studying each and every topic and memorising it. With practise comes understanding, and good marks in the exams.

Bonus tip: if you do get stuck, which you are bound to do at some point, use examsolutions.co.uk like others said. It's fantastic, and sometimes even better than your actual teacher.

Good luck.Make sure you challenge yourself and do as many questions as you can. The more you practise the better and better you will be at Maths. This kind of thing just got me an A*, and I have no regrets over the time I spent doing all of the questions and past papers. The effort will pay off. Good luck with it all!

Amen! I agree, i myself recieved an A* and due to these steps (y)
Man this thread has given me confidence.
Reply 49
Original post by chelseafan
Man this thread has given me confidence.

Same here, I'm willing to work hard for a level maths, it will open so many opportunities for me

Same here, I'm willing to work hard for a level maths, it will open so many opportunities for me

Yeah same here. Btw what exam board is your Maths a level?
If your'e studying mechanics then a great tip that helped me was with resolving forces of a particle on a slope. You can keep using SOHCAHTOA to derive the horizontal and vertical forces but an easy way is to just remember that the forces of the adjacent next to the angle will always be mg cos A and the force of the opposite to the angle will always be mg sin A.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
I forgot all concepts every time
I then again looked my notes and remember but every time i solved questions first i need to revise all my notes
Any tips in my case
Reply 53
Original post by Qer
I forgot all concepts every time
I then again looked my notes and remember but every time i solved questions first i need to revise all my notes
Any tips in my case

Do more questions! Textbook questions then past paper questions
Reply 54
Original post by Naruke
Do more questions! Textbook questions then past paper questions

I can do whoke chapter after revising but when the question came separate with other questions i face difficulty to how i solve it
I received an A* in A level Maths, so maybe I can help. Or maybe not, as I am a useless idiot who has no friends. :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by Qer
I can do whoke chapter after revising but when the question came separate with other questions i face difficulty to how i solve it

Watch videos relating to a chapter on ExamSolutions

He goes through examples and is really helpful. After watching videos you need to supplement your revision with questions.
Reply 57
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
I received an A* in A level Maths, so maybe I can help. Or maybe not, as I am a useless idiot who has no friends. :frown:

Can u tell me
if we have points given and equation of curve and question asked show these points lies on that curve
How to do this
Reply 58
can any one help me how to manage my math's revision
Original post by Qer
can any one help me how to manage my math's revision

What's the issue specifically? Do you do further maths? AS or A2? what are your other subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending