The Student Room Group

Recommended reading for Economics App.

Hi all.

wondering if anyone can recommend me some decent reads so that I can have something substantial to say on my PS this year! Applying for economics bsc, however have never studied the subject at school and am frankly quite a laymen. Pop.economics books don't really appeal to me, however I am very interested in econ. history having recently read the rise and fall of global empires by John Darwin. I also really enjoy learning about issues in development and have read a few books by Sen and Abhijit Banarjee. If anyone could recommend me some similar tomes it would be much appreciated. Also taking a gap year, in which I plan to study A level econ, so recommended text books and study guides will also be useful!

Thanks in advance.

Glug
the worldly philosophers by robert l. heilbronner its about the philosophy of great economic thinkers like smith, marx and keynes and looks at the development of economics from political economy till the 20th century (it was written originally in 1950s with several new editions) it has the combo of econ, history and philosophy.
Reply 2
Original post by Insert_username
the worldly philosophers by robert l. heilbronner its about the philosophy of great economic thinkers like smith, marx and keynes and looks at the development of economics from political economy till the 20th century (it was written originally in 1950s with several new editions) it has the combo of econ, history and philosophy.

I second this. Great book! But in all honesty, the admission tutors are not going to care what book you have read, but rather what you have learnt from it. Therefore the key to getting into university is having the ability to show the admissions tutors in a few sentences that you have learnt something quite spectacular from the book(s) you have read!
Reply 3
Original post by Laalalala
I second this. Great book! But in all honesty, the admission tutors are not going to care what book you have read, but rather what you have learnt from it. Therefore the key to getting into university is having the ability to show the admissions tutors in a few sentences that you have learnt something quite spectacular from the book(s) you have read!

Brilliant, have placed an order for this on amazon! I understand, but I may have worded my post badly, I am a reapplication so I can remember my ps from last year (different subject) and know that it's stupid to name drop. I was just wanting recommendations for other books that fit my interest so I could learn more about the subject of econ.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending