The Student Room Group

Confused with WJEC Grade Boundaries

So I'm really chuffed with my AS results this summer, all the hard work paid off! I was just wondering if anyone could help me with working out how low or high my grades were. I may need an A* for university, so I'm just wondering how close I was to the A grade boundaries and I can't seem to work out the WJEC system.

My results were:

Business Studies BS1 - 67 marks - A
Business Studies BS2 - 98 marks - A
Psychology PY1 - 73 Marks - A
Religious Studies RS 1/2 - 80 marks - A

Would really appreciate any help, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by LouiseTaylor__
So I'm really chuffed with my AS results this summer, all the hard work paid off! I was just wondering if anyone could help me with working out how low or high my grades were. I may need an A* for university, so I'm just wondering how close I was to the A grade boundaries and I can't seem to work out the WJEC system.

My results were:

Business Studies BS1 - 67 marks - A
Business Studies BS2 - 98 marks - A
Psychology PY1 - 73 Marks - A
Religious Studies RS 1/2 - 80 marks - A

Would really appreciate any help, thanks!

All your AS are out of 200UMS and involve 2 units (you've not mentioned them all).

160 - A
140-159 - B
120 - 139 - C
100- 119 - D
80 -99 - E
<80 - U.

For an A( you need at least 320/400 across the whole A level and at least 180/200 from the A2 units.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
If it helps my cash-in grades were..

Business Studies - 165 - A
Psychology - 186 - A
Religious Studies - 164 -A

I'm more concerned about individual modules that I took in the summer though rather than the actual cash-in because I'm happy with the marks I received in January.

I'm still really confused!
Reply 3

Psychology - 186 - A

I'm more concerned about individual modules that I took in the summer though rather than the actual cash-in because I'm happy with the marks I received in January.

UMS Grade boundaries are always the same for all A level exams, >=80% = A, 70-79.9% =B etc. You just need to know what the max UMS for each paper is, and since you haven't said which exam board you are doing, we can't help.
Reply 4
Sorry my exam board is WJEC, hence why the title of this thread is 'Confused with WJEC Grade Boundaries'. I've been looking at the WJEC website for max UMS but I can't seem to find them.
Reply 5
WJEC don't release grade boundaries afaik.
Reply 6
Ah well that's frustrating. Thank you anyway!
Reply 7

Psychology - 186 - A

The maximum UMS for the subjects you're taking for the whole AS is 200. At least 80% (ie at least 160/200) of the total UMS is always needed for an A at AS.

Try looking at the specification of each subject to see what the maximum UMS for each module is. (Specifications can be found on the WJEC website: find the relevant subject using the drop-down menu on the front of the home page, and then you should be able to find it in the 'Documents' section.)

Edit: I've found the max UMS marks for you: BS1 = 80, BS2 = 120, PY1 = 80, RS1 = 100, RS2 = 100. (80%+ is needed for an A.)

If you're interested, raw mark/UMS conversion tables can the found here.

Well done on your results. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Sorry my exam board is WJEC, hence why the title of this thread is 'Confused with WJEC Grade Boundaries'. I've been looking at the WJEC website for max UMS but I can't seem to find them.

Sorry - I tend to ignore that and read the post. My mistake, but someone else has answered now.
Original post by madders94
WJEC don't release grade boundaries afaik.

They have this year. Click on Psychology GCE page on the WjEC website and there'll be a link to the boundaries

Quick Reply

Latest