The Student Room Group

HELP - advice needed

I failed my first year at Exeter Uni, because of a very hard module, that took a lot of time away from other subjects causing me to do badly on them and I still didn't pass this cursed module.

So I was offered resits but never replied as I wanted to just restart the year and do it over as Exeter has restructured their courses and this infernal course that was once compulsory and you had to pass, now does not exist, and is only briefly covered in the 2nd year under another module, and then it is shared with another topic.

Also even though the first year doesn't count at Uni, employers can still see your grades and I just wasn't happy with them. I know my abilities and I could have done so much better, especially without the module of death.

It has recently come to my attention that my University put me in for resits anyway, they are on Monday (20th August) and the University is about 200 miles away, so I have no study and no way to get there, and I think they are going to charge me just over £200 for the privilege.

Then I read these scare stories online that actually if you fail your resits or in my case don't turn up they kick you out??? Is this true?

Then there is one friend who thinks if I do ask to redo 1st year, because I'm doing 1st year, I will be expected to pay £9,000 fees, is that true? I've tried loads of google searches and nothing mentions what fees you pay in this scenario. I can't afford £9,000 fees I'm from a Working Class background, and I calculated that over 3 years paying 9K fees, and getting the 5K maintenance loan, added to the 8K I already owe, if I pay the higher fees I will owe over £50k!!!
Reply 1
Oh my god! You have to pay 50K? Nooo, it's not like, 100's of thousands of others do too! :O
Reply 2
Original post by sjcxxx
Oh my god! You have to pay 50K? Nooo, it's not like, 100's of thousands of others do too! :O

That's not my only problem. Like I said, I don't know if the rumours about getting kicked out are true.

P.s Most of those other 100,000's probably won't be from such poor backgrounds.
Reply 3
I don't see how your background is relevant to your loan. You'll be paying it back at the same rate, only for longer.
Reply 4
most of them are, and would have no way of paying for the higher fees unless the lovely student loans company wasn't around
Reply 5
Ok so fees aren't my biggest worry. You're focusing on the fees.

It's things like will they let me restart the year on the same course, or on a very similar course which I would actually prefer, or will they kick me out for not attending resits? Because as I explained above, I didn't fill in the resit form as I had no intention of doing resits, but they've put me in for them anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by Crest14
Ok so fees aren't my biggest worry. You're focusing on the fees.

It's things like will they let me restart the year on the same course, or on a very similar course which I would actually prefer, or will they kick me out for not attending resits? Because as I explained above, I didn't fill in the resit form as I had no intention of doing resits, but they've put me in for them anyway.

I'd imagine that these kinds of things are relative to the university you're studying at. Ring them.

Why don't you just go to the resit? You've payed anyway & you might do well.
Reply 7
Original post by sjcxxx
I'd imagine that these kinds of things are relative to the university you're studying at. Ring them.

Why don't you just go to the resit? You've payed anyway & you might do well.

The resit is on Monday (20th August) I failed the exam even after revising really quite hard for over a month, I've not revised since because I didn't want to do a resit or know I had one, I doubt I could pass without study, when I failed even with a lot of study.

Also it's on Monday morning, so I'd need to arrive there Sunday. Today is the end of Friday, so theres really only saturday left, the Uni is over 200 miles away. I can't arrange transportation and accomodation to a place over 200 miles away in 1 day :/

Nor would I want to as I said, I'm disapointed with my first year grades and so want to redo the year. The course has been restructured so that the module which is the bane of my life, no longer exists, and is only there as part of another module in Year 2.
Reply 8
Can they punish me for not going to the resits?
Reply 9
Original post by Crest14
Can they punish me for not going to the resits?

Yes, they can kick you out.
Reply 10
Original post by Shelly_x
Yes, they can kick you out.

But I wasn't aware of them until 2 days ago. I didn't complete the resit form and yet seem to have been entered in them anyway. I didn't check my emails over the summer either as I didn't think they would email anything.

Surely they wouldn't want to kick me out? Surely its better for them to have me there paying 3K to be taught and another 5k to live there for another 3 years rather than kick me out and not receive a penny?
Reply 11
Original post by Crest14
But I wasn't aware of them until 2 days ago. I didn't complete the resit form and yet seem to have been entered in them anyway. I didn't check my emails over the summer either as I didn't think they would email anything.

Surely they wouldn't want to kick me out? Surely its better for them to have me there paying 3K to be taught and another 5k to live there for another 3 years rather than kick me out and not receive a penny?

Nobody here can tell you whether or not they will, only that they can and they might. You need to ask your uni, though I appreciate it is a bit late for that now.
Reply 12
Original post by Shelly_x
Nobody here can tell you whether or not they will, only that they can and they might.

Well it looks like they are. I'm sad I won't get to realise my dream of getting a degree but I'm not sad to be leaving Exeter University. I really wanted to go to University but was never happy at Exeter because it is such an unfriendly and snobbish place, staff and students! So maybe its for the best I don't return.
Reply 13
Original post by Crest14
Well it looks like they are. I'm sad I won't get to realise my dream of getting a degree but I'm not sad to be leaving Exeter University. I really wanted to go to University but was never happy at Exeter because it is such an unfriendly and snobbish place, staff and students! So maybe its for the best I don't return.

You don't have to give up on getting a degree, you can apply again to uni. Hopefully you'll find somewhere you are happy to study at.

Quick Reply

Latest