The Student Room Group

Why wouldn't my application be considered?

I'm a Scottish Student, I'm in S6 and I got AAAA in my Highers. Most Medical Schools (All in Scotland, most in England) require 5 Highers at AAAAB or Higher.

I sat: Higher Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Computing.
Next year I'll be sitting: Advanced Higher Maths, Biology and Chemistry and Higher Physics and English.

I've asked Edinburgh and Glasgow and they replied saying my application wouldn't be considered since I never done 5 Highers in a single sitting, and they recommended applying as a graduate. I don't understand why I wouldn't be considered though, since this year I'll be sitting 5 highers in 1 sitting (I'd be applying for 2014 entry if it was for Medicine) so it is possible for me to get there entry requirements.

I'm not really bothered about it having to do a degree first. It is my fault for screwing up an exam, but I just want to know why I'd not be considered even with AAAAA in next years results?

Also, since I'll be applying for GEP medicine, would it be better to do a first degree in Chemistry (it'll open more alternative options for me that I'd like to do, and I enjoy it more) or an area of Biology (Biochemistry probably, which I would enjoy, but really wouldn't know what to do with it afterwards)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scottish domiciled students don't get tuition fee funding for GEP, so can you afford ~£6k tuition fees plus living expenses for 4 years after you've already accrued debt from your first degree? If not, and you are still set on applying as a graduate, then you'll be limited to applying to Scottish schools (assuming the system hasn't changed by then).

Also, Higher chemistry is nothing like a chemistry degree so don't be surprised when you're sitting in a lecture wondering why you're learning applied physics. Biomedical Science in Anatomy might be a good fit for going into medicine as a graduate, also Dundee has a degree in Forensic Anthropology which tbh is more competitive than medicine but would make for a great degree for applying to medicine as a graduate. Edinburgh and Glasgow aren't the be-all-end all and tbh they are easily the most stuck up uni's in Scotland. My advice would be to contact Aberdeen, Dundee, and St. Andrews to see what they are saying.

Don't forget that you could always apply to Irish medical schools which would be free for you via the SAAS. Although they might actually be even more uptight about it...

Out of interest, is there a reason why you haven't sat the 5 Highers in one sitting?
Reply 2
Original post by Zedd
Scottish domiciled students don't get tuition fee funding for GEP, so can you afford ~£6k tuition fees plus living expenses for 4 years after you've already accrued debt from your first degree? If not, and you are still set on applying as a graduate, then you'll be limited to applying to Scottish schools (assuming the system hasn't changed by then).

Also, Higher chemistry is nothing like a chemistry degree so don't be surprised when you're sitting in a lecture wondering why you're learning applied physics. Biomedical Science in Anatomy might be a good fit for going into medicine as a graduate, also Dundee has a degree in Forensic Anthropology which tbh is more competitive than medicine but would make for a great degree for applying to medicine as a graduate. Edinburgh and Glasgow aren't the be-all-end all and tbh they are easily the most stuck up uni's in Scotland. My advice would be to contact Aberdeen, Dundee, and St. Andrews to see what they are saying.

Don't forget that you could always apply to Irish medical schools which would be free for you via the SAAS. Although they might actually be even more uptight about it...

Out of interest, is there a reason why you haven't sat the 5 Highers in one sitting?

I actually found out about the GEP fee's thing an hour ago, and that Scottish Uni's actually weren't as expensive as I thought ( I thought it'd be 9k per year, but its only 2k, So I'll apply for a few non GEP courses in Scotland since I imagine it'll be slightly less competitive and I wouldn't mind the extra year.

I'll consider those choices. Particularly the Anthropology one, although I'd need to research it. Although I think I'm dead set on Chemistry, as while I want to be a doctor, or if I can a Forensic Pathologist - I have other options and back ups, the one I'd love to do the most (and even if I become a doctor I hope to do it at some point in my life) is teach, and after sitting through Biology, I'd really hate to teach it. But I'd love to be a Chemistry teacher.

The reason why I only sat 4 Higher's was completely my own fault. In my Standard Grades I was told by my History teacher that History could be used in place of English if you do badly in it. I'm not particularly good at English and I thought, well in S5 I'll take Higher History in place of English. Then do English in S6. Turns out my School (and probably most schools) has some level of English being taught in S5 being mandatory. So instead of doing History, a subject I was actually alright at. I ended up having to do English, which I then went on to have a bad exam in Standard Grade and only got a 3.

Completely my fault for not learning about my schools policys (Maths wasn't mandatory, I assumed the same for English)
Reply 3
Well all I'll say then is that you should try to do some research into what you can do with chemistry. Tbh, the best thing you can do is apply to chemical or petroleum engineering because at least then you have a lot that you can do with it (not least make good ££££££) including applying to medicine.
Reply 4
I'll see how everything plays out. I'll try my hardest and more to get into Medicine, I'll make sure I'm consistently doing volunteer work/work experience for the next few years. And I'll make sure I don't screw up anything. I wouldn't enjoy Chemical Engineering, I've looked into it and IIRC its 75:25 Maths/Physics:Chem. I'm not that good at Physics.

I mainly want to do something that involves helping people or contributing to society, I have a few Idea's, and a few back up plans. Thank you for your help, I've emailed the other 3 universitys, but I'm expecting a wholly similar response.
Reply 5
Well if you don't enjoy physics then you're not going to be too happy in a chemistry degree tbh. Good luck getting into medicine (just so long as it doesn't mean that I don't get in! :tongue:) the first time around though.
Reply 6
Original post by Zedd
Well if you don't enjoy physics then you're not going to be too happy in a chemistry degree tbh. Good luck getting into medicine (just so long as it doesn't mean that I don't get in! :tongue:) the first time around though.

I've looked up the course and got details from my main choices. I do enjoy Physics, I'm just not good at/really hate some parts of it, which drags me down in tests and stuff.

I'm actually quite worried about having to apply as a graduate, since I'd be entering a non GEP course, would the extremely high applicants/places ratio still be there. Or will it be closer to the still high applicants/places ratio for people entering from High School?
Reply 7
Original post by TheFOMaster
I've looked up the course and got details from my main choices. I do enjoy Physics, I'm just not good at/really hate some parts of it, which drags me down in tests and stuff.

I'm actually quite worried about having to apply as a graduate, since I'd be entering a non GEP course, would the extremely high applicants/places ratio still be there. Or will it be closer to the still high applicants/places ratio for people entering from High School?

Scottish schools mainly cater for high school applicants but some (Aberdeen and Dundee) do see more graduate friendly than the others. Regarding if its easier or not in terms of applicants and places I'd imagine that its harder because you'll have both high schoolers and other graduates to contend with.
Original post by Zedd
Scottish schools mainly cater for high school applicants but some (Aberdeen and Dundee) do see more graduate friendly than the others. Regarding if its easier or not in terms of applicants and places I'd imagine that its harder because you'll have both high schoolers and other graduates to contend with.

Around a third of Glasgow Med School are mature students, and we have an Access course that feeds into it.

And as a single mum med student at Glasgow, I resent being called stuck up :wink: ....

OP, Dundee and Aberdeen might be more flexible if you explain your situation. It seems utterly mental that you are being penalised for being given bad advice.
Reply 9
Original post by Harbour Seal
Around a third of Glasgow Med School are mature students, and we have an Access course that feeds into it.

And as a single mum med student at Glasgow, I resent being called stuck up :wink: ....

OP, Dundee and Aberdeen might be more flexible if you explain your situation. It seems utterly mental that you are being penalised for being given bad advice.

Well, I wasn't calling you stuck up but rather Glasgow Uni itself :wink:

The reason that around a third of Glasgow med students are matures is simply because, as you say, they have an access course that feeds into the degree. Applying as a graduate doesn't seem to be as easy if your degree isn't biomedically orientated.
But that's not particularly true... Previous Access course students had music, law and computing degrees or, like me, half an English Lit degree. Also, access students only account for a few each year - I think only four got into Glasgow Medicine last year, and only two of us got into it this year.

I think Glasgow Uni gets its stuck up reputation quite unfairly. It is the fourth oldest university in the English speaking world, is part of the Russell group and resides in the west of Scotland with UWS, Cally, Strathclyde and Paisley university whose students constantly mock it for being "up itself".

Now, if you want to slag Edinburgh or St Andrews, I am totally with you on that one :wink: :teehee:
Reply 11
Original post by Zedd
Well, I wasn't calling you stuck up but rather Glasgow Uni itself :wink:

The reason that around a third of Glasgow med students are matures is simply because, as you say, they have an access course that feeds into the degree. Applying as a graduate doesn't seem to be as easy if your degree isn't biomedically orientated.

I'm at St Andrews as a Music graduate and nursing experience. There are a very small number of grads on my course, but no worries, it is still possible!
Original post by polldoll
I'm at St Andrews as a Music graduate and nursing experience. There are a very small number of grads on my course, but no worries, it is still possible!

I forgot PollDoll went to StAn. I hereforeto forthwith withdraw my comment about slagging StAn. Now Edinburgh on the other hand....

(p, when do you graduate from StAn and are you coming to Glasgow?)
Reply 13
Hehe its ok, comment away about StA!!
I am doing 2 more years there, then hopfully joining 3rd year at Glasgow! Can't come quickly enough, I just want to be on clinicals already!!
Px
Reply 14
*waits for someone from Edinburgh to stroll in* :tongue:
Original post by polldoll
Hehe its ok, comment away about StA!!
I am doing 2 more years there, then hopfully joining 3rd year at Glasgow! Can't come quickly enough, I just want to be on clinicals already!!
Px

OMG YOU WILL PROBABLY BE IN THE SAME YEAR AS ME!!!!

This is super exciting.

Original post by Zedd
*waits for someone from Edinburgh to stroll in* :tongue:

Edinburgh were the only university to reject me outright. Bring it on!
Reply 16

The advice itself wasn't bad, I misinterpreted it. I assumed that I could do Higher History in place of English in S5. She told us (albeit not in a good way) that University's would look at our History result if we had poor English results (meaning both had to be taken).

I know that doing Biomed or something similar would help me get in afterwards. But I really don't see myself enjoying the degree that much, or enjoying what else I could do if I didn't get into Medicine (I could teach, but I find a good portion of the Biology courses we're taught horribly boring. I'd never be a good Biology teacher)

That part about a third of Student's being mature students is interesting, are the majority of them Biomed Graduates? And whats this access course, I don't think I'd need it though.

Another question, my Higher in Biology would be 5/6 years old at my applying year, would I be able to use my AH, or should I redo Higher Biology or Human Biology in my last year of University aswell, just to be safe? And what about my English result aswell, I think that should still stand.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Edinburgh were the only university to reject me outright. Bring it on!

Haha, their loss!
Original post by TheFOMaster
The advice itself wasn't bad, I misinterpreted it. I assumed that I could do Higher History in place of English in S5. She told us (albeit not in a good way) that University's would look at our History result if we had poor English results (meaning both had to be taken).

I know that doing Biomed or something similar would help me get in afterwards. But I really don't see myself enjoying the degree that much, or enjoying what else I could do if I didn't get into Medicine (I could teach, but I find a good portion of the Biology courses we're taught horribly boring. I'd never be a good Biology teacher)

That part about a third of Student's being mature students is interesting, are the majority of them Biomed Graduates? And whats this access course, I don't think I'd need it though.

Another question, my Higher in Biology would be 5/6 years old at my applying year, would I be able to use my AH, or should I redo Higher Biology or Human Biology in my last year of University aswell, just to be safe? And what about my English result aswell, I think that should still stand.

Highers for Glasgow go out of date after five years (it was how I was able to fulfil the academic requirements as a mature student). I think you probably should have dealt with this problem earlier (as soon as you were aware of the english requirement). Plus, you don't require an English higher for medicine at Glasgow. You just need a 2 or above or pass in Int2. If you have a guidance teacher, get them to phone up on your behalf ASAP. Make your guidance teacher or head of 6th year aware that you really want to do medicine. Fight your corner with all five medical schools because, at times, exceptions are made.

Do Chemistry, it's well better than biology.
Reply 19
Highers for Glasgow go out of date after five years (it was how I was able to fulfil the academic requirements as a mature student). I think you probably should have dealt with this problem earlier (as soon as you were aware of the english requirement). Plus, you don't require an English higher for medicine at Glasgow. You just need a 2 or above or pass in Int2. If you have a guidance teacher, get them to phone up on your behalf ASAP. Make your guidance teacher or head of 6th year aware that you really want to do medicine. Fight your corner with all five medical schools because, at times, exceptions are made.

Do Chemistry, it's well better than biology.

I was aware of the English requirement when I made my options late in fourth year. I failed Credit English, and I wasn't allowed to sit Higher because I had a poor Close Reading grade (Which I was getting 1's in before hand :frown: ) I've already sat 5th Year, I got an A in Int.2 but I'm not sure if I'll still be able to use this in 5 years (I've been a resident of Scotland my full life though, I'm not sure If I'll have to resit. But I doubt I will) Chances are in my Chemistry degree I'll do some Biology in First and Second year. Will they consider that if I don't get in first go (so my AH is out of date) I don't mind applying as a graduate, Time isn't an issue, and money hopefully shouldn't be either.

My year head knows I want to go onto Medicine or Teaching someday. He said I should forget about Medicine, I asked him if he would in my reference say that I never had the grade requirements for a mandatory subject but he said "All that would be telling them is you aren't good at English" Anyway, since I kinda gave up, I don't have much work experience, Which I'll work on over the next 5 years.

Quick Reply