The Student Room Group

Please help! Long Distance Relationship advice

I've been with my boyfriend for 8 months now. We both have never had a proper partner before and it is both our longest relationship and the best so far. Both of us are really happy. We're both the shy/quiet type who are docile - we've never had a proper argument (yet!).
Now he's going to Southampton University and I'm going to Cardiff. I'm really worried because we are in contact every day and see each other every day. We miss each other quite a lot. He would never cheat on me but I'm paranoid he'll meet another girl at Uni and since he'll be in more contact with her he'll be a lot closer to her.

Looking at this situation simply, do you think this will work between us? We're both willing to visit each other whenever we have free time. I'm very optimistic but other times I'm very worried. I want to get through the three years and I would never think of destroying what we have.

Any advice please? Thanks!
Hey, I'm in a very similar situation to you - I can't really offer advice but can empathise!
From the sounds of it you're both willing to make it work, I understand your worries because I've had them too, but trust is important!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks :smile:I'm glad there are others like me - that gives me some relief, especially when other say it works out for them. :biggrin:
no woman no cry
Original post by TheScribbler
I've been with my boyfriend for 8 months now. We both have never had a proper partner before and it is both our longest relationship and the best so far. Both of us are really happy. We're both the shy/quiet type who are docile - we've never had a proper argument (yet!).
Now he's going to Southampton University and I'm going to Cardiff. I'm really worried because we are in contact every day and see each other every day. We miss each other quite a lot. He would never cheat on me but I'm paranoid he'll meet another girl at Uni and since he'll be in more contact with her he'll be a lot closer to her.

Looking at this situation simply, do you think this will work between us? We're both willing to visit each other whenever we have free time. I'm very optimistic but other times I'm very worried. I want to get through the three years and I would never think of destroying what we have.

Any advice please? Thanks!

If you are both willing to work at it and put the effort in then it can work, I've managed to survive a long distance and many of my friends have done it too.
Try the LDR advice centre :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
There's a lot of the time you'll both be at home, Christmas I think is a pretty long holiday also, summer is months long.
Reply 8
I'm in a similar situation!
I've been with my boyfriend for over 2 years now; he's going to Liverpool and I'm going to Keele, so it's around a 2 hour train journey...
We've been so close for so long, especially with him only living 5 minutes away from me, I just hope we don't drift apart :s
Tbh I can't see that happening but I can't help but worry still.
Reply 9
Yeah you feel like it would never happen yet still dread it. I'm really worried I can't afford the travel expenses to see him. Or if there are other girls after him or something. We're probably worrying too much but it makes us all worry! He promised me today we'll be together when we finish University. And we pinky promised! That sh*t is official xD thank you everyone, I wish you all the best in your LDR's too x
just to throw a spanner in the works...I'm going to Liverpool Hope as well and we can't have guests staying in halls overnight...sorry Sofie! :s-smilie: that's kind of annoying...really hope they're lenient about it :frown:
Original post by laurajade23
just to throw a spanner in the works...I'm going to Liverpool Hope as well and we can't have guests staying in halls overnight...sorry Sofie! :s-smilie: that's kind of annoying...really hope they're lenient about it :frown:

ugh seriously?
that's rubbish. but I can't see many people obeying that rule... hmmm, we'll see.
on the plus side, if I get the flats I want, I'm allowed people over as much as I want :')
Original post by sofieceliza
ugh seriously?
that's rubbish. but I can't see many people obeying that rule... hmmm, we'll see.
on the plus side, if I get the flats I want, I'm allowed people over as much as I want :')

I can't see it being obeyed either but
Guests5.1.48
To sign in all guests (day or night) at the Security Lodge at Hope Park or the Creative Campus, or the Reception Office at Aigburth Park. Non-residents found in Halls who are not signed into the visitor log book and are de facto trespassing, will be asked to leave the campus and the host student will be subject to disciplinary action;

To ensure that all visitors do not enter Halls before 8.00am and leave Halls by 11.00pm;

Not to have any overnight guests in student rooms(this is not allowed in Halls)

A guest room may be booked on campus via the Accommodation Office, subject to due notice, availability and advance payment of the nightly charge;

To supervise guests at all times and not to allow guests to enter any study room other than that of the host student. Guests can only enter other flats/communal areas by invitation and must be accompanied by the host student. Guests should not be left alone in halls;

To take responsibility for the behaviour of guests during their visit the Student will be subject to disciplinary action if their guest breaks any rules under the Code of Student Discipline or the Accommodation Contract;

that's the guest section of the Liverpool Hope contract...

and ugh I'm jealous...do I get a cheeky invite every once in a while? :wink:
I was thinking about this and surely they won't notice as he'll just look like a normal student, right?

Original post by such_a_lady
I was thinking about this and surely they won't notice as he'll just look like a normal student, right?

That is a very good point...I'll play it by ear :P

Reply 15
I think you can get away with it tbh, but don't jeapordise your chances at Uni either :P students are bound to have done it before so it's probably fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending