The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3720
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Rest assured that most of the violence after the introductory episodes is aimed at the Oni and various other, quite deserving villains, though that doesn't change the fact Ryoma in particular is fighting more for fun than to save the planet.

Well that's something, I suppose. In a way it's nice to see an OVA which crosses moral lines many other things wouldn't cross. Which is not to say I'd necessarily want to see much else in the same vein.
Original post by caraniel
I had the opposite reaction - that episode made me laugh hysterically......and then the series got worse :giggle:

I think it was the fact that in most anime I watch, the cute girls don't die. Death-by-impalement in Episode 3 really caught me off-guard. ;_; I normally laugh hysterically at stupid deaths like that, so now I'm braced I may have to carry on. :wink:

Bear in mind that I had no idea what the show was about, it was more of a 'let's watch this random anime' sort of thing. xD It's basically Final Destination.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3722
The second episode of Muv-Luv was my favorite, as it was enjoyable if only because of all the violence and gore. :p: The main issue for me is that after the timeskip they then had to introduce the new main characters in episode 3, but rushed those introductions in an attempt to fit in as much plot as possible. I'm not finding the romance aspect very good either... this show needs more mechs!

Despite my intention to continue with this, I haven't yet. I'll admit that the second episode did pique my intrigue, but I'm getting the impression from you that we won't see that type of Alien-esque gore again for some time. :sad:

Definitely agree with you there. I'd go as far as to say it's probably the best of the many genderbent Sengoku or Romance of the Three Kingdoms series I've watched... still too generic to stand out overall when compared with the other shows I'm watching, but highly enjoyable. :smile:

Yes, that's precisely it. Honestly, I don't particularly care about the setting, that's secondary to the generic romance that's blossoming. :tongue:

Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC
Been getting into a lot more manhwa lately. Just read Noblesse (or caught up with it, I should say) and I have to say I am enjoying it more than a lot of manga I've read in the past. I typically don't see black and white drawings as a drawback in story telling, but I do admit that having full colour pages, whilst not necessarily adding to the story, does seem to add something to the general enjoyment. I am especially surprised by the quality of drawing in these 'webtoons'; both Tower of God and Noblesse are always drawn to a high level of detail considering the addition of colour.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Tower of God (in my opinion, probably the best manhwa currently) and Noblesse. Though Kubera and God of High School are both amusing and quite entertaining action stories in their own right as well.

I've been following Noblesse on and off and agree that it's distinguishable from manga, which I suspect the Koreans wanted to achieve with their own medium. I've read about Tower of God, but as I've decided to stop reading comics, manga included, I've not gotten around to it.
Reply 3723
Original post by AaronM1D1
I recently got addicted to watching BECK. It has quickly become one of my favourite series, although my musical taste and playing guitar might have influenced it a little. It's quite old-school with the animation, and you hear 'Full Moon Sway' EVERY episode; but I guess that's what gives it that real 'Spice of Life' appeal [PUN WIN] as bands will practice and play the same songs over and over. Watching Koyuki's character development is enticing, as he really grows into a fine lad over the few years the adaptation spans. Chiba is by far my favourite character, adding a craziness to what can become quite a sombre series at times. In addition, the gritty underbelly of the music world; a world filled with producers and agents, is explored deeply which really removes this show from anything else musically-orientated I've watched - Forget K-On! The music itself, whilst repetitive as previously noted, is brilliant. It almost reminds me of Rage Against the Machine the way they have that rock/funk/rap edge [Taira's bass <3], although I was left in a different kind of funk when I finished watching through. It's rare that I get upset that I finish a series, but BECK was inspiring and pushed me through the brick wall I was facing as far as my own playing was concerned.

I'm going to read the manga now, as the adaptation only got a third of the way through.

Rock on. \m/

Beck is a brilliant anime and it's a shame that we haven't been subjected to anything quite like it since. Sure, we've had some music themed series after, most recently the equally good Apollon, but there was something about Beck that made it special. I suppose it was the air of realism. None of the characters seemed contrived at all or tainted with a manga textbook personality.
Reply 3724
Original post by Aiko
Beck is a brilliant anime and it's a shame that we haven't been subjected to anything quite like it since. Sure, we've had some music themed series after, most recently the equally good Apollon, but there was something about Beck that made it special. I suppose it was the air of realism. None of the characters seemed contrived at all or tainted with a manga textbook personality.

Beck rules :biggrin:
I have seen it 4 or 5 times. It's just different to everything else. And I love the OST
Reply 3725
I recently got addicted to watching BECK. It has quickly become one of my favourite series, although my musical taste and playing guitar might have influenced it a little. It's quite old-school with the animation, and you hear 'Full Moon Sway' EVERY episode; but I guess that's what gives it that real 'Spice of Life' appeal [PUN WIN] as bands will practice and play the same songs over and over. Watching Koyuki's character development is enticing, as he really grows into a fine lad over the few years the adaptation spans. Chiba is by far my favourite character, adding a craziness to what can become quite a sombre series at times. In addition, the gritty underbelly of the music world; a world filled with producers and agents, is explored deeply which really removes this show from anything else musically-orientated I've watched - Forget K-On! The music itself, whilst repetitive as previously noted, is brilliant. It almost reminds me of Rage Against the Machine the way they have that rock/funk/rap edge [Taira's bass <3], although I was left in a different kind of funk when I finished watching through. It's rare that I get upset that I finish a series, but BECK was inspiring and pushed me through the brick wall I was facing as far as my own playing was concerned.

I'm going to read the manga now, as the adaptation only got a third of the way through.

Rock on. \m/

Beck is a brilliant series. Watched that one in 2 days.:coma:
Original post by vin
Beck is a brilliant series. Watched that one in 2 days.:coma:

Same :coma:

I sorta wish they'd adapted the rest of the manga. Then again, it's been years since the original adaptation, so it's highly unlikely. :/
Reply 3727
The second episode of Muv-Luv was my favorite, as it was enjoyable if only because of all the violence and gore. :p: The main issue for me is that after the timeskip they then had to introduce the new main characters in episode 3, but rushed those introductions in an attempt to fit in as much plot as possible. I'm not finding the romance aspect very good either... this show needs more mechs

To be fair, episodes 1 and 2 are only introductions to the universe for anime-only fans who aren't familiar with the franchise, as a poor man's crash course, and a somewhat misleading one too. Episode 3 is really episode 1.
Original post by Tabris
To be fair, episodes 1 and 2 are only introductions to the universe for anime-only fans who aren't familiar with the franchise, as a poor man's crash course, and a somewhat misleading one too. Episode 3 is really episode 1.

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change the fact the character introductions in episode 3 were rushed. :s:
Original post by Eloades11
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll watch a couple of episodes tomorrow :smile:

How did you like it? :p:
Original post by Ocassus
How did you like it? :p:

I just finished watching the second episode, the first was a lot to take in and I still can't remember anyone's name. I'm enjoying it at the moment, I don't really feel attached to any of the characters yet, looking forward to seeing how it progresses though :smile:
I think it was the fact that in most anime I watch, the cute girls don't die.

Is it bad that cute girls dieing is 90% of what got me into anime?~
Reply 3732
I'm aware of that, but it doesn't change the fact the character introductions in episode 3 were rushed. :s:

Just sayin'. I wouldn't say that they weren't 'new' main characters; they're the only main characters.

I've said this all before but the anime original redshirts designed for the sake of the original director's hashed attempt at creating a crash course in world building and emulation of the VNs were as pointless as those two episodes. I agree that their introductions in ep3 were rushed though, and I think the series would have been better served with nothing more than a short prologue at the start of each episode, kinda like Macross Frontier or the first few ep of Aquarion EVOL.

I really do wish someone other than Satelight's D-team was working on this. As much as I did enjoy it, this week's episode was rife with QUALITY, as per usual. I'm finding it hard get my head around how bad the production team actually is, or how little budget the show has. I certainly can't wait for the VN to be released so I have something nice to look at.

Edit:

Just watched the first episode of Jinrui. My sides.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Eloades11
I just finished watching the second episode, the first was a lot to take in and I still can't remember anyone's name. I'm enjoying it at the moment, I don't really feel attached to any of the characters yet, looking forward to seeing how it progresses though :smile:

Oh you will in time. :p:
Reply 3734
Aah, I actually didn't watch anime for months until now! (I got hooked on watching non-anime shows XD)
Currently returned to watching Kimi to Boku and nearly finished with season 2. Love it! I actually stopped watching this when I found out about Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou cause I thought they were about the same-ish story but the latter being funnier. True, but Kimi to Boku has its own charms. :smile:

Got nothing else lined up to watch, so can anyone recommend any of the new anime that came out this season?
Planning on watching Kuroko no Basuke since I read a couple chapters of its manga, but are there any more interesting titles?
Original post by ella37
Aah, I actually didn't watch anime for months until now! (I got hooked on watching non-anime shows XD)
Currently returned to watching Kimi to Boku and nearly finished with season 2. Love it! I actually stopped watching this when I found out about Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou cause I thought they were about the same-ish story but the latter being funnier. True, but Kimi to Boku has its own charms. :smile:

Got nothing else lined up to watch, so can anyone recommend any of the new anime that came out this season?
Planning on watching Kuroko no Basuke since I read a couple chapters of its manga, but are there any more interesting titles?

I'd say the titles that are standing out for me right now are Natsuyuki Rendezvous (a great romance/drama series with a supernatural twist) and Kokoro Connect (which is far more than your average high school club comedy anime, also heavy on the drama and supernatural themes). You might also like Binbougami-ga! if you liked the shonen-style comedy of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, though some episodes are definitely funnier than others.
Reply 3736
If there's anyone who is not watching Joshiraku allow me to show you the error of your ways.

Reply 3737
Original post by Carecup
X

Haha, I watched the K-ON film the other day, without having seen anything else in the franchise. I learned lots about K-ON:

- There are five of them:
-- the slow one, who is closest to being POV-character
-- Mio, who has the same name as the MIO who sang lots of 80s robot opening themes, and so is memorable; she doesn't sing any 80s robot opening themes, though :sad:
-- the small one
-- the rich one
-- the mad one (Ritzy?)

They play music. The rich one must be very rich because they visited Waitrose. It's not a very realistic story but that's okay, because it's set in a fantasy world. You can tell this because in the film Heathrow looks nice.
Original post by Carecup
If there's anyone who is not watching Joshiraku allow me to show you the error of your ways.

They broke Creamy Mami's magical staff in episode five. :frown:

Original post by QHF
Haha, I watched the K-ON film the other day, without having seen anything else in the franchise. I learned lots about K-ON:

- There are five of them:
-- the slow one, who is closest to being POV-character
-- Mio, who has the same name as the MIO who sang lots of 80s robot opening themes, and so is memorable; she doesn't sing any 80s robot opening themes, though :sad:
-- the small one
-- the rich one
-- the mad one (Ritzy?)

They play music. The rich one must be very rich because they visited Waitrose. It's not a very realistic story but that's okay, because it's set in a fantasy world. You can tell this because in the film Heathrow looks nice.

*honourary because TSR won't let me*
(edited 11 years ago)
loving the new yuru yuri ed :awesome: hope its not just a one-off..

Latest