The Student Room Group

Got a 2.2 in first year, should I be worried?

The title pretty much says it all, I got a 2.2 in first year and am worried that it might hinder me in terms of placements and maybe employment later on. Obviously I know now that I have to work my butt off for the next two years now.

Its my fault as I did no work for first semester so got all 3rds then in second semester I did actually study so ended up with a high 2.2 overall and narrowly missed a 2.1 :frown: I missed out on going on a placement year because of this so it really hurts that I didn't take it seriously and obviously this placement year would have helped my career prospects.

I know I shouldn't be panicking but I'm freaking out thinking that I might miss out on really important Summer and Easter placements/internships because of my first year grade. Has anyone got any advice?
Predict yourself a 2:1 and work harder next year.
Reply 2
I got a 2:2 in my first year and I made a list of what I need to do to improve. I know I'm capable of higher and knowing that these years actually count for something now is only going to motivate me to work.
Reply 3
Got a 2.2 for my course first year. Changed my course to something else (so went straight into second year on that subject I hadnt done in first year) and got a mid 2.1.

Second year as a general rule has more interesting topics than first year, and it matters more, so you try harder. I wouldnt worry tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Sports Racer
Predict yourself a 2:1 and work harder next year.

Original post by Hugs13
I got a 2:2 in my first year and I made a list of what I need to do to improve. I know I'm capable of higher and knowing that these years actually count for something now is only going to motivate me to work.

I'm gonna have to work my butt off and stay motivated. Yeah I keeping thinking 'I didn't come to uni to get a 2.2'
well first year doesn't count does it? if you were going to **** up, first year would be the time to do it.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
well first year doesn't count does it? if you were going to **** up, first year would be the time to do it.

You make it seem as though first year is pointless.

- It will be on her transcript so employers will see it.
- Her mark will affect her predicted grade (unless she gets a first in 2nd year).
- In terms of her lecturers and tutor, she wouldn't have created the greatest impression

Not too much damage done OP just work a lot harder next time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Iamyourfather

- Her mark will affect her predicted grade (unless she gets a first in 2nd year).
- In terms of her lectures and tutor, she wouldn't have created the greatest impression

well obviously it's not pointless, it's all useful stuff presumably, but a 2.2 in first year is no disaster if she does well when it counts. There must be a reason that the first year isn't counted.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
well obviously it's not pointless, it's all useful stuff presumably, but a 2.2 in first year is no disaster if she does well when it counts. There must be a reason that the first year isn't counted.

Because university level content isn't really covered. If it does it'll only graze the surface and therefore cannot be included as part of a bachelor honours degree.

It does however say a something about your work ethic. Important or non-important, employers want employees to work at their best.

It's very easy to fall into bad habits, first year gives you a chance you find your mojo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by K.ChosenOne
I'm gonna have to work my butt off and stay motivated. Yeah I keeping thinking 'I didn't come to uni to get a 2.2'

Yes, fear is good. I'd aim higher, though - go for first. I mean, you're there for two more years... you may as well, surely?

Original post by Iamyourfather

- In terms of her lectures and tutor, she wouldn't have created the greatest impression

In my experience employers rarely, if ever, look at transcripts. They're more concerned with the final degree grade. Similar point for predicted grades. In fact I've never been predicted anything, I predicted myself grades for the purposes of application forms.

Lecturers and tutor probably don't care. Actually at LSE my tutor told me that a huge proportion of students get 2:2s in their first year, perhaps making it the most common grade for some courses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sports Racer
Yes, fear is good. I'd aim higher, though - go for first. I mean, you're there for two more years... you may as well, surely?

In my experience employers rarely, if ever, look at transcripts. They're more concerned with the final degree grade. Similar point for predicted grades. In fact I've never been predicted anything, I predicted myself grades for the purposes of application forms.

Lecturers and tutor probably don't care. Actually at LSE my tutor told me that a huge proportion of students get 2:2s in their first year, perhaps making it the most common grade for some courses.

Your experience =/= rest of the human population.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending