The Student Room Group

Russia Bans Gay Pride in Moscow For 100 Years

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
I'm gay but I agree with this. Pride won't achieve anything nowadays, why not keep Suffragettes marches as well?

Because suffragettes got what they wanted - the vote. Gay people don't have equal rights, as much as the government wants to say that they do.
Reply 121
Original post by Podcaster
Completely unrelated but the girls are not very hot on your course. At least the ones I've met anyway.

I know some girls on my course and they seemed quite attractive, although it doesn't really concern me seeing as I'm gay. :tongue:
Reply 122
Original post by Perseveranze
Respect Russia.

Even though I still dislike you for invading Afghan and oppressing Chechnyans.

Why do you approve of this?
Original post by Calllu-m
Because suffragettes got what they wanted - the vote. Gay people don't have equal rights, as much as the government wants to say that they do.

But Pride marches won't ever change that, so they're a bit redundant
Original post by isusovaca
I'm just saying just being natural doens't mean it deserves a parade. On the other hand, I get it that people want to parade to prove a point I guess to those who think of it as unnatural, and that's the only thing I approve of.

Nobody said it did, and that isn't why people have parades, but thanks for approving anyway.

In my book, religious/moralists who think that being gay should be banned or something similar to that are the worst kind, and the world should not condone that kind of behaviour.

Good.

Second to worst are oversensitive gays who shove their gayness in everyones faces and are extremely insulted if you dislike them.
I don't like you because of the way you act, not because of you sexual preferences, and altough there is a stereotypical gay behaviour that doens't mean that it's part of your sexuality.

I can be friends with a gay guy who acts like my normal friends, but I can't be friends with a straight guy who acts like a stereotypical gay. And I'm sure that's how most guys feel.

So you dislike camp people. You have nothing against gay people.

And by parading and "showing of" gays aren't really doing anything positive. They'll never convince the religious/"moralists" that they are ok and normal people will also find grown men wearing skirts odd.

They aren't parading to show off, they're parading to make a point that they're united for the same cause - equality. I understand people in more tolerant countries don't understand it because they think they have equality anyway, but they don't. And if you look at pride parades in Uganda which have the same aim but are much further away from it, you'll understand.

And there's nothing wrong with cross-dressing. It doesn't matter if you think it's odd or not because it's not a sign of mental illness or anything. I find people who wear sandals and get pedicures etc. odd because I think feet are disgusting, my feelings are as irrelevant to people wearing sandals as yours are to drag queens.

And you know this how?
The marriage equality that the government are trying to get through, if pride marches stopped, the government might think that gay people aren't bothered anymore and then not pass the legislation.
Not saying it will happen, just that it might be what happened, and it would show that the marches aren't redundant.

Similarly, if the marriage equality legislation went through and then pride marches stopped, the government might think they'd done all they had to do; when there are still issues with homophobic bullying etc. and stuff still needs to be done.

In addition, gay parades in the past would have been what sparked psychological research to determine if homosexuality should be classed as a mental illness, if homosexual parents are harmful to children etc. This kind of research doesn't get funded if it won't be relevant to enough people - the larger the parade / the more parades, the more likely the research would be funded.
Reply 126
Are they not just best seen as a big party? I mean as far as I am aware, anyone can attend a gay pride parade, and most who attend go to have a good time. They don't have the aim to start a revolution nor to directly impact legislation linked to gay rights, instead it is just a group of people getting together and having a bit of fun.

The argument that these parades provide a negative representation of the LGBT community I find somewhat hard to believe. The argument that if someone sees a man for example, dressed in drag or whatever, that they will then believe all gay men act in this way I cant really see being true. If there are instances of this, then the fault is not with those having a bit of fun, rather with the individuals who apply this stereotype based on being unable recognize that there isn't a 'universal' way that people of a sexual orientation act, and if there was, would you really draw it from a fancy dress parade.

I agree that they won't change it, but people use them cause they worked in the past.
Lets be quite honest here, does anyone really expect anything different here? Russia isnt exactly known for its freedoms is it?
Reply 129
Original post by minimarshmallow
And you know this how?
The marriage equality that the government are trying to get through, if pride marches stopped, the government might think that gay people aren't bothered anymore and then not pass the legislation.
Not saying it will happen, just that it might be what happened, and it would show that the marches aren't redundant.

Similarly, if the marriage equality legislation went through and then pride marches stopped, the government might think they'd done all they had to do; when there are still issues with homophobic bullying etc. and stuff still needs to be done.

In addition, gay parades in the past would have been what sparked psychological research to determine if homosexuality should be classed as a mental illness, if homosexual parents are harmful to children etc. This kind of research doesn't get funded if it won't be relevant to enough people - the larger the parade / the more parades, the more likely the research would be funded.

But lets say you get equality, what then? Of course you'll still have homophobes but are you going to man a witchhunt to track them down?? Are you going to try to prevent them from being who they are, express their opinions?? And do you think there would still be a need for Pride marches???
Original post by Smart Ass
Maybe I'm slightly homophobic?, I just don't want lots of gay people marching down the street around me, having naughty thoughts about me etc

Is that meant to be funny and gain rep? because I didn't laugh.

This chick has naughty thoughts about you as well.
Original post by rmhumphries
This chick has naughty thoughts about you as well.

Least it's got a vagina
Least it's got a vagina

I see. Personally, even if I was straight, I would prefer to have gay sex with a hot guy than sex with a really ugly girl (especially as I am a giving person :wink: )
I see. Personally, even if I was straight, I would prefer to have gay sex with a hot guy than sex with a really ugly girl (especially as I am a giving person :wink: )

What you're trying to say is that you are Bi curious then?

I'd rather tackle my mum than another man.

Joking but seriously I'd rather have sex with any women than another man. I just don't know how you could if you were straight
What you're trying to say is that you are Bi curious then?

I'd rather tackle my mum than another man.

Joking but seriously I'd rather have sex with any women than another man. I just don't know how you could if you were straight

No, no - I am more-or-less bi (the more or less is complicated), but even when I considered myself straight, there were cases when I would do a guy over a girl. What, for instance if you had to either do Hugh Grant or your mum? Hugh Grant, you can sell your story to the papers, make lots of cash, your mum you are broken for the rest of your life.

However, more on topic, again when I was straight, I would prefer a hot guy to have sexual thoughts about me than an ugly girl -> ego boast, and don't need to sleep with guy.
Original post by Kiss
But lets say you get equality, what then? Of course you'll still have homophobes but are you going to man a witchhunt to track them down?? Are you going to try to prevent them from being who they are, express their opinions?? And do you think there would still be a need for Pride marches???

It's fine for homophobes to think what they think and even express their views if they like, but until the point when they do not act on those unfounded views in the form of any kind of homophobic bullying or discrimination, then pride marches will have a purpose.
Someone earlier mentioned the Suffragettes, and they got the vote as they wanted, but had they been marching purely for all equality for women they would still be going. Because as long as one woman is being turned down for a job because she might have a baby, or as long as one gay person is being bullied because of their sexual orientation, there isn't true equality.

This isn't to say that some people who are currently marching may think that once marriage equality is in place and rights concerning children etc. are all equal that there will be no point in marching anymore, because that's all they were marching for, but it certainly isn't only what I marched for; isn't only what the fantastic lesbian we marched with was marching for - she'd been kicked out by her dad for being gay and found that one homeless shelter turned her away when she told them why she'd been kicked out - it isn't what another guy my friend met at another parade was marching for - he had to leave his job because of relentless homophobic bullying that was ignored by management.

If true equality is achieved, where people can hold and express these unfounded views all they like as long as they don't use them to try and take away the rights of other people, then I would say that the marches would become redundant, and I would personally not bother anymore.
No, no - I am more-or-less bi (the more or less is complicated), but even when I considered myself straight, there were cases when I would do a guy over a girl. What, for instance if you had to either do Hugh Grant or your mum? Hugh Grant, you can sell your story to the papers, make lots of cash, your mum you are broken for the rest of your life.However, more on topic, again when I was straight, I would prefer a hot guy to have sexual thoughts about me than an ugly girl -> ego boast, and don't need to sleep with guy.
To be honest I would never even want to do that as I would never sell the story anyway out of the sheer embarrassment of having sex with another man. I'm straight and I value that more than making cash from another man. Disgusting, no offense to gay people, even though I've offended already no doubt.But if you're bi then I guess that would be fine, just not for me as I'm straight. Not sure on any other straight males opinions? Would any straight man have sex with another man to sell the story?I can't imagine that :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
To be honest I would never even want to do that as I would never sell the story anyway out of the sheer embarrassment of having sex with another man. I'm straight and I value that more than making cash from another man. Disgusting, no offense to gay people, even though I've offended already no doubt.But if you're bi then I guess that would be fine, just not for me as I'm straight. Not sure on any other straight males opinions? Would any straight man have sex with another man to sell the story?I can't imagine that :confused:

You would be surprised what people would do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending