The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Got my offer for Thomas Campbell Court:woohoo:

I can't pos-rep you! But I am so happy we are in the same halls :smile:)) :woo::w00t:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Got my offer for Thomas Campbell Court:woohoo:

Original post by alaska.
I can't pos-rep you! But I am so happy we are in the same halls :smile:)) :woo::w00t:

Haha, we'll be basically neighbours as I live in James Blyth. :smile: If not elsewhere, I'll see you at the bins as the two halls share them haha :tongue:
Original post by alaska.

Haha, I can never pos-rep any of you. Really annoying, but it doesn't really matter, does it :wink: I'm really happy too :biggrin: I'm so glad I got my 2nd choice!
Original post by FinnLassie
Haha, we'll be basically neighbours as I live in James Blyth. :smile: If not elsewhere, I'll see you at the bins as the two halls share them haha :tongue:

Yaay :biggrin: Maybe we will live opposite eachother. We could make a line between our windows :wink2:
We will just make bin appointments, so we can go to the bins together.. but uhm, how do you even know that we share them?

Yaay :biggrin: Maybe we will live opposite eachother. We could make a line between our windows :wink2:
We will just make bin appointments, so we can go to the bins together.. but uhm, how do you even know that we share them?

I've done my crazy research. :biggrin: I don't even remember where I found that info anymore!
I've done my crazy research. :biggrin: I don't even remember where I found that info anymore!

That's the weirdest information to be available ever. Like why would that even be on the internet? :tongue:
That's the weirdest information to be available ever. Like why would that even be on the internet? :tongue:

Hahaha in case someone forgets and doesn't know where else to check but the internet? :tongue: I might be one of those people... :ninja:
I'm a new student at Strathclyde and received my offer for Birkbeck which was probably my last choice but it looks like I'm just going to have to make the most of it, I'd seriously appreciate if someone could tell me anything good about it... at all!

Also, what colour are the rooms? Pathetic as it sounds I want my bedding to match haha!
Original post by nicolemcgarty
I'm a new student at Strathclyde and received my offer for Birkbeck which was probably my last choice but it looks like I'm just going to have to make the most of it, I'd seriously appreciate if someone could tell me anything good about it... at all!

Also, what colour are the rooms? Pathetic as it sounds I want my bedding to match haha!

Aww :frown: It sucks you aren't happy with your accommodation. You might end up really liking it there! I'll be a new student at Strathclyde too, so I don't know much about the halls. I have heard that Birkbeck is supposed to have the most parties. I don't know if you would say that that is a good thing or not.
I checked the website for photos of Birkbeck, all the walls in those photos are baby blue. You don't sound pathetic at all! I also want my bedding to match :wink:
Aww :frown: It sucks you aren't happy with your accommodation. You might end up really liking it there! I'll be a new student at Strathclyde too, so I don't know much about the halls. I have heard that Birkbeck is supposed to have the most parties. I don't know if you would say that that is a good thing or not.
I checked the website for photos of Birkbeck, all the walls in those photos are baby blue. You don't sound pathetic at all! I also want my bedding to match :wink:

Yeah, think I'm more nervous than unhappy since everyone seems to hate Birkbeck haha! The party aspect is good I'm just worried about the state of the actual halls but I'm sure it'll be fine I just need to make the most of it:-) Yeah I saw those pics just wondered if all the rooms were the same colour haha!

The rooms get repainted every summer, IIRC last year they were purple, but mine in TCC were turquoise, the hall was yellow and my friends in another halls were cream, so it could be any colour really.

Birkbeck isn't that bad. The rooms are small, but you've got a bed and a desk so you don't really need much else. The kitchen is nice, more up to date than TCC, and you get a sofa, which some of the halls don't have (they just have individual chairs for example Murray Halls). You're also close to the laundry room which I guess is a bonus lol. And you get a nice big window in your living room.
There are lots of positives!
Reply 330

We share the laundry room as well! :sexface: TCC has to do their laundry in James Blyth, as we don't have our own one :sadnod:

Haha, I can never pos-rep any of you. Really annoying, but it doesn't really matter, does it :wink: I'm really happy too :biggrin: I'm so glad I got my 2nd choice!

2nd choice is really, really good :smile: I heard of people who couldn't get any of their 3 choices, so you are very lucky :woo::yep:

Haha, we could make one of these old phone lines, you used to make when you were very young. But a plastic cup and the end and tadaaaa, telephone is ready for use:u:

haha, not pathetic at all! I am wondering the same thing. I have a white with colourful flowers one and a blue/white one. I gonna take both and just hope that one of them fits :biggrin: I think that is a pretty normal thing to worry about :smile:
Original post by alaska.
We share the laundry room as well! :sexface: TCC has to do their laundry in James Blyth, as we don't have our own one :sadnod:

Oooh... secret meetings at the bins and the laundry room... :hubba:

:ninja:
:getmecoat:
Original post by alaska.

Oehh, trash and dirty clothes. Our meetups are going to be magical.
I'm a bit sad that our laundry room is in James Blyth. It's going to be horrible having to drag bags of dirty clothes there when it's raining or snowing or both..

Original post by alaska.
2nd choice is really, really good :smile: I heard of people who couldn't get any of their 3 choices, so you are very lucky :woo::yep:

:yep: I'm really lucky that I got 2nd choice. I only wanted Forbes because you get a sink in your room and cleaning. I was really looking forward to having a sink.. but oh well.

Original post by alaska.
Haha, we could make one of these old phone lines, you used to make when you were very young. But a plastic cup and the end and tadaaaa, telephone is ready for use:u:

Great idea! Phone line would be brilliant. We could also hang a basket on the line and send our laundry to Rankaisija :wink: so she can wash it for us?

Btw: the code of conduct booklet says we are not allowed to dry our wet clothes in our rooms?! What's up with that? I always let my clothes air dry. They won't kick me out for doing that, right? Such a ridiculous rule.
Reply 333

:ninja:
:getmecoat:

oh yes! Definitely. Both of them are such beautiful places for a meetup :giggle::grin:

I'm a bit sad that our laundry room is in James Blyth. It's going to be horrible having to drag bags of dirty clothes there when it's raining or snowing or both..

:yep: I'm really lucky that I got 2nd choice. I only wanted Forbes because you get a sink in your room and cleaning. I was really looking forward to having a sink.. but oh well.

Great idea! Phone line would be brilliant. We could also hang a basket on the line and send our laundry to Rankaisija :wink: so she can wash it for us?

Btw: the code of conduct booklet says we are not allowed to dry our wet clothes in our rooms?! What's up with that? I always let my clothes air dry. They won't kick me out for doing that, right? Such a ridiculous rule.

I was thinking of Garnett Halls first, but when I had a close look at the accomodation again, I changed my mind. Also our rooms might look more homely if there is not a sink in them. Imagining having a sink now sounds a bit funny to me :biggrin: I am happy with my choice :yes:

I don't think anybody sticks to that. I think they are afraid you put stuff on the radiotors. But as Thomas Campbell doesn't have cleaners, I don't think there will be many people complaining. Code of Conduct also says you need a permit for a party. Not too many people really get a permit, do they? :wink2:
Sorry to but into your conversations, but a few tips from an ex-Thomas Campbell Court resident.

I suggest you use the laundry under Todd's rather than James Blyth, unless they've completely renewed it, the machines under JB are unpredictable and break a lot (leaving you will damp unclean mouldy smelling clothes).
Hanging washing in the flat: No bother, but you will get (scheduled) flat inspections so you can't do it then obviously. Also don't put clothes directly on the radiators because it will ruin them (happened to me with a nice jumper :frown: )
Original post by Popppppy
Sorry to but into your conversations, but a few tips from an ex-Thomas Campbell Court resident.

I suggest you use the laundry under Todd's rather than James Blyth, unless they've completely renewed it, the machines under JB are unpredictable and break a lot (leaving you will damp unclean mouldy smelling clothes).
Hanging washing in the flat: No bother, but you will get (scheduled) flat inspections so you can't do it then obviously. Also don't put clothes directly on the radiators because it will ruin them (happened to me with a nice jumper :frown: )

That's totally fine! Tips from insiders is always helpful :wink: so thanks :biggrin:
Todd's is where the accommodation office is, right? It is a bit farther than JB, but I'm sure I'll manage. I'll walk a couple meters extra if it means my clothes will be properly clean.
I will make sure I don't do laundry when they do inspections and I won't hang clothes on the radiators (I wasn't planning on doing that anyways).
That's totally fine! Tips from insiders is always helpful :wink: so thanks :biggrin:
Todd's is where the accommodation office is, right? It is a bit farther than JB, but I'm sure I'll manage. I'll walk a couple meters extra if it means my clothes will be properly clean.
I will make sure I don't do laundry when they do inspections and I won't hang clothes on the radiators (I wasn't planning on doing that anyways).

Yea, it's just beside the office, under the pub.
The inspection woman is very annoying, at least it's only once each semester.
My friend had food poisoning and was throwing up during the inspection, and we got marked down for our toilet not being clean!
Other than that they're not very strict, just keep out of trouble and don't throw bottles out of the window!

Full of pure joy let me tell ya... :smug:

Original post by alaska.
oh yes! Definitely. Both of them are such beautiful places for a meetup :giggle::grin:

Yeah, super beautiful! :daydreaming:

Ahh thankfully I haven't got pretty much anything to do on the 14th so I can walk around and see what's the best way to get from JB to the buildings and so on. :smile: And most important of all, check out Aldi. :biggrin:
Original post by Popppppy
Yea, it's just beside the office, under the pub.
The inspection woman is very annoying, at least it's only once each semester.
My friend had food poisoning and was throwing up during the inspection, and we got marked down for our toilet not being clean!
Other than that they're not very strict, just keep out of trouble and don't throw bottles out of the window!

What?! That sounds totally unreasonable. The inspection woman probably had a bad day or something. I hope she has a better mood when she inspects my room.
I wasn't planning on throwing any bottles out of my window? I feel like there is a story behind your warning. Please share? :biggrin:
What?! That sounds totally unreasonable. The inspection woman probably had a bad day or something. I hope she has a better mood when she inspects my room.
I wasn't planning on throwing any bottles out of my window? I feel like there is a story behind your warning. Please share? :biggrin:

Yea, when she came back the next semester she was a bit more pleasant, but still really picky.

The guys in the flat below did it, and got called to a hearing. But they only got a telling off. They also put a sign up in their window with a swear word on it, and got another telling off (because the nursery for lecturers and students to leave their children is in the student village, so the kids could see the sign).
Their flat was a nightmare, they never cleaned it, but it was good to have the parties there because they didn't care if you made a mess and you didn't have to clean it up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending