The Student Room Group

The Finance and Accountancy Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
What's the college situation for starters? Anyone finding themselves having to go in for 8-12 weeks at the start?
Original post by DaneCook
What's the college situation for starters? Anyone finding themselves having to go in for 8-12 weeks at the start?

Yes, makes more sense, could be awful though.
Reply 62
Original post by monk_keys
Yes, makes more sense, could be awful though.

How is being paid to chill in college for 2 months awful? I can't wait.
Original post by Regent

lol well obviously that's nice but I was thinking more of exams all being in one go as well.
Reply 64
I'm pretty sure you won't be chilling at college. If you're doing ICAS, my colleagues that have been down this route inform me that it's an intense two months. Studying nearly every evening for 2 months sounds hellish. The college usually reports back to your firm on mock results (progress tests), so you can't really slack off.

Having said that, I much prefer study leave over working on an audit where everything is going wrong, and the client's being a dick.
hey guys, great that you started this thread. I have just got on a graduate programme next year, so reading this will help me prepare for it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Regent

Lucky for some...i've got a Maths degree so i'll actually have to pay attention. We've been told we have 3 exams at the start of Dec...not looking forward to them.
Reply 67
Original post by Mos Def
Lucky for some...i've got a Maths degree so i'll actually have to pay attention. We've been told we have 3 exams at the start of Dec...not looking forward to them.

I'm convinced that I'll fail the first exam by a record amount and be excommunicated from the world of finance immediately :frown:
Reply 68
Original post by Mos Def

I did a Maths and Economics degree so I'm hardly at an advantage.

So we basically have to begin revision as soon as we start college. Damn...And I'm still writing my dissertation. No time to rest at all. :frown:
Reply 69
Original post by Regent
I did a Maths and Economics degree so I'm hardly at an advantage.

So we basically have to begin revision as soon as we start college. Damn...And I'm still writing my dissertation. No time to rest at all. :frown:

Im sure you must've done some accounting modules for the Econ part of your degree? ...I've only done Actuarial and Financial Maths which has no accounting what so ever! I don't really mind tbh will make college less boring.

Im in Tax mind you, i know we have exams earlier than those in Audit...
Reply 70
Original post by M1011
I'm convinced that I'll fail the first exam by a record amount and be excommunicated from the world of finance immediately :frown:

Haha...bit much!
Original post by Mos Def
Im sure you must've done some accounting modules for the Econ part of your degree? ...I've only done Actuarial and Financial Maths which has no accounting what so ever! I don't really mind tbh will make college less boring.

Didn't fancy the Actuarial exams or CFA?
Original post by Mos Def

At least your degree had numbers in. I did history.
Reply 73
Original post by Mos Def

No. There isn't any accounting in Economics as far as I'm aware. Apples and Oranges really. It's basically applied maths.
[video="youtube;S0YPQCTfFWM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0YPQCTfFWM[/video]

.......wtf
Reply 75
Original post by Tokyoround
Didn't fancy the Actuarial exams or CFA?

Yeah I did actually, considered Actuarial exams because of having CT3 exempt for doing stats but the whole process seems longer/harder than the ACA and I think both will end up making similar money tbh

At least your degree had numbers in. I did history.

Heh you'd be surprised how little i saw actual numbers as opposed to greek symbols in my third year. Are you going to be at Kaplan or BPP btw?

Original post by Regent
No. There isn't any accounting in Economics as far as I'm aware. Apples and Oranges really. It's basically applied maths.

Friends having done Economics as a single honours at my university had one or two accounting modules so I thought everyone did, perhaps it was optional.
Original post by Mos Def

Heh you'd be surprised how little i saw actual numbers as opposed to greek symbols in my third year. Are you going to be at Kaplan or BPP btw?

BPP. Although having said that, I can't actually remember how I know that...Maybe I was told in an interview.
Does the ACA/CA differ between offices? Anyone know which Deloitte/PWC mainly do? Ive heard E&Y do mainly ICAS?
Reply 78
BPP. Although having said that, I can't actually remember how I know that...Maybe I was told in an interview.

I thought as much, my friend starting at a mid sized firm is also doing it at BPP...apparently their teachings better.

Original post by GlassesFreak
Does the ACA/CA differ between offices? Anyone know which Deloitte/PWC mainly do? Ive heard E&Y do mainly ICAS?

Deloitte and PWc do ICAEW.
Reply 79
Original post by Tokyoround
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0YPQCTfFWM

.......wtf

Damnnnn, picked the wrong firm. Might have to defer and put in a 2013 PWC application! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest