The Student Room Group

retake year 12 or do 7 AS retakes during A2?

My AS results are crap (EEUD) and I know my predicted grades are gonna be really low so I'm going to apply to university next year with my actual results and do a gap year, but this means that I'll have to retake 7 AS exams along with doing my A2 exams and I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Should I retake the whole year and do different subjects? (I'm currently doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology but instead of Physics I'll do Sociolgy if I retake year 12).

Btw can I get into good unis if I do retake year 12?

Update:
I've decided I will retake year 12 and do Sociology instead of Physics and do my other subjects again however I'm finding it extremely difficult to find another college/sixth form that will take me!
On the 30th I have to go back to my college and talk about letting me retake the year but it's very likely that they won't allow me to. Also I don't think that I'll do well there anyway since it's a **** college. I've called other sixth forms but all of them have said to call next week and see if there's any space :/
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It all depends how hard you're willing to work. It's incredibly doable so long as you're set on the goal. It will require hard work, and possibly starting revision as soon as you get back to school. You should discuss this with your teachers before jumping to any rash decisions though. They may be willing to predict you A's at A2 so long as you can prove to them you're willing to put in the work and they know you can do it. Go away, sleep on it for a day or two, and make your mind up then when this whirl of emotion has passed and you're in a better state of mind :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by Nirgilis
It all depends how hard you're willing to work. It's incredibly doable so long as you're set on the goal. It will require hard work, and possibly starting revision as soon as you get back to school. You should discuss this with your teachers before jumping to any rash decisions though. They may be willing to predict you A's at A2 so long as you can prove to them you're willing to put in the work and they know you can do it. Go away, sleep on it for a day or two, and make your mind up then when this whirl of emotion has passed and you're in a better state of mind :yep:

thanks for the help!
I've got re-enrolment on Tuesday so I've got a few days to decide even though I'm so confused right now!
Do you think starting 2 new A levels would be better if I retake the year since I found Chemistry and Physics really difficult?
Reply 3
It will be extremely difficult to balance AS retakes + A2 exams. Even if you spread your retakes throughout the year, that's a heck of a lot of pressure. Then again, anything is possible if you work hard enough.

And yes you can get into good unis, but they'll generally expect more of you if you retake the same subjects.

I'd personally retake the year (because I already have!)

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile: But think long and hard before you do!
Reply 4
If you retake the year and you didn't enjoy your current AS's, then it would be silly not to take something you might find more enjoyable right? :tongue: . The only time this is bad advice is if you need that subject for any university aspirations you may have :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sighrawr
It will be extremely difficult to balance AS retakes + A2 exams. Even if you spread your retakes throughout the year, that's a heck of a lot of pressure. Then again, anything is possible if you work hard enough.

And yes you can get into good unis, but they'll generally expect more of you if you retake the same subjects.

I'd personally retake the year (because I already have!)

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile: But think long and hard before you do!

I think I'd rather retake the year because I'll have a ridiculous amount of exams but just the thought of having to start all over again gives me a headache! How did you find it? If I retake year 12 I'll be doing 2 different A Levels (Geography and Psychology instead of Chemistry and Physics) so it might be easier (and I won't hate my life any more).
Reply 6
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I think I'd rather retake the year because I'll have a ridiculous amount of exams but just the thought of having to start all over again gives me a headache! How did you find it? If I retake year 12 I'll be doing 2 different A Levels (Geography and Psychology instead of Chemistry and Physics) so it might be easier (and I won't hate my life any more).

I was reluctant and pessimistic at the start of the year, having to mix with a whole new bunch of people. BUT it's worth it and the year flies by! If you're not naturally a science person then your new subjects would be easier. Also, retaking the year has broadened my horizon, given me more time to gain experience and research uni. :smile:
Reply 7
If I retake the year I'll probably have to go to a different college but how do I apply to colleges this late? I'm not sure any colleges will take me since I did crap in my first year
Reply 8
Original post by Sighrawr
I was reluctant and pessimistic at the start of the year, having to mix with a whole new bunch of people. BUT it's worth it and the year flies by! If you're not naturally a science person then your new subjects would be easier. Also, retaking the year has broadened my horizon, given me more time to gain experience and research uni. :smile:

Were there any unis that asked you why are you applying late/retaking year 12 when you had your interviews for uni?

I'm definitely going to retake year 12 since I won't be able to handle the pressue of loads of AS retakes along with A2 exams. My main concern is that I won't be able to do Biomed at a good uni, I don't mean Oxbridge or even the top 10 but somewhere like Queen Mary or Essex?
Reply 9
I got DDD at AS and I resat 4 AS and also did 2 A2 resits in the June of my A2 year. I ended up sitting 11 exams.
I worked hard and got a B in sociology and a C (2 ums from a B) in Biology. Chemistry was a failure due to the lack of a teacher, so that doesn't count :colondollar:

So it can be done, if you're willing to work extremely hard for it.

A better example than me if my friend who got EDC at AS, she brought the E in Biology up to a B! She resat all the AS Biology modules twice in her A2 year (in Jan, then again in June) she brought the D in physics up to a B also.
Reply 10
Were there any unis that asked you why are you applying late/retaking year 12 when you had your interviews for uni?

I'm definitely going to retake year 12 since I won't be able to handle the pressue of loads of AS retakes along with A2 exams. My main concern is that I won't be able to do Biomed at a good uni, I don't mean Oxbridge or even the top 10 but somewhere like Queen Mary or Essex?

I've only just received my AS grades from resitting year 12. I haven't applied to uni yet, I'll be applying when sixth form starts. I'm guessing my tutors will mention the fact that I resat year 12 in my reference.
i have 8 retakes to do ontop of that a2's if you work hard, you'd make it its all about sacrifices from now.
Reply 12
I know people who repeat exams even though they got an A both in the modules and then overall in AS during their A2 year. I did 11 exams in January 2010.
Original post by cdoyle
I know people who repeat exams even though they got an A both in the modules and then overall in AS during their A2 year. I did 11 exams in January 2010.

I know I won't be able to do that many exams in January since I'll have to concentrate on A2 as well :/
Reply 14
I resat 7 units in my A2 year.

I will be taking a gap year next year though as a result, because my predicted grades weren't great.
I'm going to be retaking year 12 since I don't want to be doing AS and A2 exams in one year and I also don't want to take a gap year.

The only problem now is that I'm trying to find a different college since the college I currently go to is rubbish but a lot don't take retake students :/
Original post by Mtice
I resat 7 units in my A2 year.

I will be taking a gap year next year though as a result, because my predicted grades weren't great.

How did you find it doing all those exams in one year?
I really don't want to take a gap year since Biomed doesn't need a lot of voluntary experience and I've already done a lot.
Reply 17
How did you find it doing all those exams in one year?
I really don't want to take a gap year since Biomed doesn't need a lot of voluntary experience and I've already done a lot.

Well, as someone who revises by doing past papers the day before exams but no work whatsoever the rest of the year, I didn't have a very heavy workload. So other than maybe three weeks of the year, I didn't even think about the exams and so it didn't feel like a lot at all.

If I, however, was someone who worked hard for every lesson, doing a lot of work outside of classes and revising weeks before exams, I would definitely have struggled.

In the end, I didn't do nearly as well as I would have liked to have done at A level, but that has nothing to do with the amount of exams.
My AS results are crap (EEUD) and I know my predicted grades are gonna be really low so I'm going to apply to university next year with my actual results and do a gap year, but this means that I'll have to retake 7 AS exams along with doing my A2 exams and I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Should I retake the whole year and do different subjects? (I'm currently doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology but I'll change to Biology, Psychology, Geography and Maths if I retake year 12).

Has anyone here done AS retakes during A2?
Also can I get into good unis if I do retake year 12?

I got the exact same results as you and also took the same subjects so am also in the same predicament. I have been questioning whether i just should retake the year because that seems like the easier option but its not something i really want to do because i am desperate to go to university.

i feel that because you want to change some of your subjects it is best for you to redo the year but i am planning on keeping the same subjects but dropping biology because that is what i got the u in :/

the problem is that i dont know if i will be able to handle doing so many retakes on top of the A2 work :s-smilie: and i will just get disappointed if i dont do well again and will have to end up staying on for a third year anyway

i guess if i choose to carry on onto a2 i will have to work sooo hard which i difficult for me as i get distracted too easily
Original post by AbbieCaino123
I got the exact same results as you and also took the same subjects so am also in the same predicament. I have been questioning whether i just should retake the year because that seems like the easier option but its not something i really want to do because i am desperate to go to university.

i feel that because you want to change some of your subjects it is best for you to redo the year but i am planning on keeping the same subjects but dropping biology because that is what i got the u in :/

the problem is that i dont know if i will be able to handle doing so many retakes on top of the A2 work :s-smilie: and i will just get disappointed if i dont do well again and will have to end up staying on for a third year anyway

i guess if i choose to carry on onto a2 i will have to work sooo hard which i difficult for me as i get distracted too easily

I really want to retake year 12 but I can't find any college that will take me! I've literally been lying in bed for over an hour worrying about what if I don't get into any college to retake my AS. This is so frustrating! I don't know what to do.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest