The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7320
Original post by Oh-WOW
House parties- some are great, some aren't so great. It's the same as anywhere.
A few of the pubs have a place to dance. The vic has a dance floor in the social club section and there's the lizard, which you will quickly find and will either love it or hate. And there's a bop in the union every friday, where there is plenty of room to dance. The latest places open is 2am (union, lizard and vic open until 2am. Everywhere else it's 12am or 1am). Some people go home after this. I normally go post drinking but I guess it just depends on the people you're with.

Thanks a lot :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hello :smile: Is it worth buying the freshers pass sold on the union website? And how early do events start selling out?
Original post by medicinemm
Hello :smile: Is it worth buying the freshers pass sold on the union website? And how early do events start selling out?

If you can afford it and don't really want to have to worry about buying tickets and do actually plan on going to most things I'd say go for it.

The more popular events will sell out maybe a couple of days before, everything else you should be able to get a ticket on the day (but maybe not the night) if past experience is anything to go by. There's also the resale where after a certain time those who haven't collected their wristbands lose them automatically and they get resold. That's a pretty reliable way of getting in if you queue early enough.
Original post by Meteorshower
If you can afford it and don't really want to have to worry about buying tickets and do actually plan on going to most things I'd say go for it.

The more popular events will sell out maybe a couple of days before, everything else you should be able to get a ticket on the day (but maybe not the night) if past experience is anything to go by. There's also the resale where after a certain time those who haven't collected their wristbands lose them automatically and they get resold. That's a pretty reliable way of getting in if you queue early enough.

Thanks. I think I might go ahead and buy it, I guess you only have one freshers week.
Thanks. I think I might go ahead and buy it, I guess you only have one freshers week.

Oh believe me, you have a freshers week every year :tongue: I'm probably more excited than half of the freshers :redface:

It's only worth buying it if you expect to go to all but one or maybe two of the events. Otherwise it's cheaper to just buy tickets separately. Usually there is quite a lot going on during the evenings of Freshers' Week in addition to the headline acts, so you may well find that you don't go to all of them & thus pay more. Though I guess you could consider that the price to pay for convenience...

i was just about to ask this! although i've been told that some of the medic events clash with the freshers events, and all the other events, you should be able to get tickets when you get there anyway. :redface:
Reply 7327
Original post by d_jukes
Hi, quick question.. I'm looking at applying to St Andrews for Computer Science as my first choice and just wondered how many girls actually applied for the course? It's not a problem if I'm the only one, just wondered... Thanks :smile:

I'd say 3 or 4 for each year. There's only 20/30 students in each year group so as CompSci depts go it's quite high. Roughly the same balance in the staff to.
Reply 7328
Original post by spongle
The thing I don't know about the buses the price, having never slummed it there myself. :rolleyes:

But the train is pretty damn good, takes about an hour and it's usually not that busy. It is kinda lame that you then have to either wait for a bus at Leuchars, or pay a tenner for a taxi though, especially with a lot of bags. But if you time it well you can usually find a bus that goes by your hall, since if you arrive in St A bus station with a load of luggage you'll need to take a bus or taxi to your hall anyway. (Well, I'm speaking as someone who has only ever lived in one of those terrible far away places like DRA, so it might be doable if you live in JB or something).

The bus obviously takes longer but is cheaper. And it's a bus so that's kinda lame. You'll obviously have the advantage of having to change transport less, and it probably seems like the more hassle free way.

Personally, if I thought I could haul all my **** down the steps at Leuchars I'd choose train every time. Busw*nkers!

Are you too scared of the plebs to get the bus?! The bus is normally about £10 return and takes 2 and a bit hours.
Reply 7329
Original post by CJ99
Are you too scared of the plebs to get the bus?! The bus is normally about £10 return and takes 2 and a bit hours.

Yes. Personally I don't think St Andrews students such as myself shouldn't have to share transport with such people.

Spoiler

Reply 7330
Original post by spongle
Yes. Personally I don't think St Andrews students such as myself shouldn't have to share transport with such people.

Spoiler

Dude, the bus drops you off either at Haymarket, St Andrews square (round the corner from Waverley) or anywhere in between!
Hey, I live in the West Midlands, and am interested in St Andrews. Thing is, as far as I can tell it'd cost upward of £300 to travel up and go to an open day as I'd probably have to go by plane to Dundee, get a taxi to and from the Uni and stay a night in a hotel.
So I was wondering, have you any advice for me vis a vis open days? If there's a particular way I should go about going to one, or any ways I can do it more cheaply? I don't think my parents would be willing to spend ~7hrs driving me there, and then 7 more going back
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lacking Gravitas
Hey, I live in the West Midlands, and am interested in St Andrews. Thing is, as far as I can tell it'd cost upward of £300 to travel up and go to an open day as I'd probably have to go by plane to Dundee, get a taxi to and from the Uni and stay a night in a hotel.
So I was wondering, have you any advice for me vis a vis open days? If there's a particular way I should go about going to one, or any ways I can do it more cheaply? I don't think my parents would be willing to spend ~7hrs driving me there, and then 7 more going back

Can't you get a train to Leuchars? If you book way in advance you should be able to get pretty cheap tickets (compared to the full price). Flying to Dundee is veery rare and I've never known anyone to do that. There's also a hostel which is pretty cheap (although from what I've heard very low quality) or you can get a B&B room in a few of the bars/actual B&B's.

You don't need a plane to Dundee - train or even bus are much cheaper (I come from London, and have grown quite used to the overnight bus journey up, only £20 too!)
You don't need a taxi to St Andrews - the bus is only a fiver.
If you need to stay overnight, there's a hostel www.standrewshostel.com , which is the cheapest option, or do you know anyone nearby you could stay with?
Anyone ever gone to the bejant reception? What's it like...
ahaa, see I knew this would be a good idea xD
Overnight bus for £20? Where can I get me one of them?
Bus from where for £5? Is that on the Uni website? It rings a bell
Brought this up over dinner, my dad said that he knows people who play golf, and he might be able to wrangle a room from one of them, but I don't know whether he was serious or not. I think the hostel would be fine, I'd only be there for a few hours. Or maybe not at all, like, if I get the overnight bus up there, visiting hours are ~9:30 till ~4:30, then get the bus back, all in one day
The reason I thought I'd need to stay overnight was because I was thinking 9:30 flight up, then there was a flight at 3:30 but then i'd not get that much time at the uni so i'd get the 9:30 back the next day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for exam results to come back from the deferred/resit diet?
Reply 7337
ahaa, see I knew this would be a good idea xD
Overnight bus for £20? Where can I get me one of them?
Bus from where for £5? Is that on the Uni website? It rings a bell
Brought this up over dinner, my dad said that he knows people who play golf, and he might be able to wrangle a room from one of them, but I don't know whether he was serious or not. I think the hostel would be fine, I'd only be there for a few hours. Or maybe not at all, like, if I get the overnight bus up there, visiting hours are ~9:30 till ~4:30, then get the bus back, all in one day
The reason I thought I'd need to stay overnight was because I was thinking 9:30 flight up, then there was a flight at 3:30 but then i'd not get that much time at the uni so i'd get the 9:30 back the next day.

Bus from Dundee to St Andrews is only £5. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_9861_99%20Fife%20.pdf
If you really want to fly, go to edinburgh. It's much cheaper. I can fly home from Dundee but it's usually over £100 each way. I can get return flights for around £90 from edinburgh.There are also a much greater choice of flights. You can get a bus from edinburgh airport to st andrews (with one change) for £7 each way. It takes about 2 hours. Dundee is a really small airport and all the flights cost a fortune!
But the bus or train are much better. for cheap buses, the megabus to dundee is probaly your best bet. (http://uk.megabus.com/) I don't know what your nearest city is but there's hopefully a megabus from there. If you can arrive in St Andrews for 9.30, staying until mid afternoon is probaly fine and then you wouldn't have to stay overnight.
Does anyone know how long it typically takes for exam results to come back from the deferred/resit diet?

A friend who had a resit said the 30th?
Reply 7339

Someone told me results come out on 30th. but that could be wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending