The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hope the OP's mate gets stopped by the police
I know someone who has driven his car for 8 years and hasn't been caught lmao xD
No insurance

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 62
Only time I would is if it was an emergency, as in someone was dying and needed to get to hospital. In that case the risk of a few points and a fine would out weight the need to drive.

On a similar theme I have a friend who claimed to drink drive once and I lost so so so much respect for him after that.
I manage to afford insurance as a 21-year-old with a provisional licence, working a minimum-wage job. I live independently of my parents and get no support with the household bills either. Surely your friend can afford it, OP?
There is no excuse for driving without insurance.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 65
Original post by Nicky Thomas

If you can't afford insurance, don't drive, simple as.

This statement isnt really fair....
people may be able to afford the insurance if it wasnt at ridiculous prices i remember once i got quoted for 6k.... really -__-
i work two jobs so yes i can afford insurance ....just not at ridiculous prices like that.

why should young drivers be punished because of statistics of other young drivers.... if they do end up crashing/having an accident thats their fault then by all means punish them with the harshest premiums.

but this current system condemns young drivers before they've even started... its complete rubbish.

Its funny how the EU can make ruling outlawing gender discrimination but they cant rule out age discrimination.
Reply 66
Original post by snowyowl
I manage to afford insurance as a 21-year-old with a provisional licence, working a minimum-wage job. I live independently of my parents and get no support with the household bills either. Surely your friend can afford it, OP?

21 year olds dont have it as bad as an 18 year old tbh
furthermore im sure insurance is cheaper on a provisional license in most cases... then sky rockets once you get your full license?
Reply 67
Certain areas of Birmingham are the worst in the country for driving without insurance according to my local paper:

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/08/22/millionth-vehicle-is-seized-in-birmingham-crackdown-on-uninsured-drivers-97319-31667922
Original post by Donette93
21 year olds dont have it as bad as an 18 year old tbh
furthermore im sure insurance is cheaper on a provisional license in most cases... then sky rockets once you get your full license?

I think it'll go up £30 a month once I've passed, from £70 to £100.

A lot of 18-year-olds still live at home too - hell, most 21-year-olds I know still live at home - so they won't have the bills to take into account as much as I will. This is why I mentioned it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Donette93
This statement isnt really fair....
people may be able to afford the insurance if it wasnt at ridiculous prices i remember once i got quoted for 6k.... really -__-
i work two jobs so yes i can afford insurance ....just not at ridiculous prices like that.

why should young drivers be punished because of statistics of other young drivers.... if they do end up crashing/having an accident thats their fault then by all means punish them with the harshest premiums.

but this current system condemns young drivers before they've even started... its complete rubbish.

Its funny how the EU can make ruling outlawing gender discrimination but they cant rule out age discrimination.

It is fair, I have had to cough up nearly £280 a month insurance, the prices are ridiculous because of those who think they are above the system and drive with no insurance and end up causing accidents and then you got those who make false claims. Its life, its not going to get any better, its just going to get worse. Young drivers are punished because they are a higher risk category, new to driving mixed with their egos trying to show off to friends - yes the odd few get punished but we all pay the price for each-others mistakes.

You want it like, yeah lets all have cheap premiums, I like £500 a month for my insurance, then goes and causes over £600,000 worth of damage and injury claims, legal costs and compensation, insurance companies would crumble, at least by having high premiums it encourages you to drive safer rather than driving like a dick thinking "Oh insurance is cheap enough"
Original post by MattNE
I'm just wandering what your opinions are of people driving with no car insurance.
Do you think it's acceptable to drive without it under any circumstances?-
-Maybe if it's just for a day.
-If the person is in financial difficulty.
etc.
The reason why I am asking this is a friend of mine has been driving without it for the past 4 months due to money struggles. He is a very safe driver and commutes a long distance everyday to his place of work. However, I am not sure I agree with him that he should be driving without insurance.. I think he's taking a pretty big risk with his license and also in the event of a crash.
As mentioned above, he is a very good driver but It doesn't mean that somebody else can't cause an accident.
I passed my test at the age of 18 and pay for my insurance monthly with no help from my parents. I have never drove without insurance and make sure that I have enough money in my account every month for it to be taken out, which is generally quite hard taking into account the prices of young drivers insurance.
What do you think?

I think you should shop him in. It's disgusting behaviour. Say he hits someone, that person then has nothing to claim on and will probably have to fork out themselves. What if they are in 'financial difficulty' Funny how he affords petrol...
i had to park the car a couple of times for my ex-gf- that's about the extent of my uninsured driving. In the end it saved a lot of time and insurance claims.
Reply 72
Original post by Maes Seren
Like! Like! Like!

Can't rate you as its throwing up an error message, but I agree 100%. Thing is, we're wasting our breath as the poster is obviously a total dunce unable to accept that there's a law in place for a reason! The law isn't written just to waste time and paper, it's there for a valid reason. Shame we have idiots on the road that think it's a load of rubbish!

What would those valid reasons be?
To give a massive handout to the industry,subsidise people with expensive cars? :dontknow:
Reply 73
Original post by Coffinman
What would those valid reasons be?
To give a massive handout to the industry,subsidise people with expensive cars? :dontknow:

i had a valid reason once, the car insurance company put the wrong reg on my policy; didn't notice for 7 months, gave them a phone call and they looked and noticed they was in the wrong and changed it.

however technically I did have insurance its just they had the wrong reg (even though they had to have my reg twice because there systems didn't recognise it)
Original post by Robertall
The 'special' McFlurry is £1.39. The chocolate fudge brownie/rolo, etc.

For me, a car is not a luxury, it is something i need. I live in a village, and before you get onto the excuses of using public transport, the reality is that there is none.

And, before you say getting a moped, i got one sat in my shed, a very nice classic one at that. Riding bikes day in day out from Feb 2007-December 2011 has weakened my knees. I think i covered in excess of 45k on bikes. I have covered 18k on one bike, and 13k on another bike in about 2 1/2 years. Riding in snow, , weather warnings for high winds and high rain. Riding in floods.

Lets not forget the risks if you crash, and i have crashed a few times..

Enough is enough. My health is more important.

So now tell me a car is a luxury? It isn't.

I'm in a similar position to you: I live in a village in the Scottish countryside with next to no public transport. Because of where I live, employers will not consider employing me unless I have a car. The trouble is that I don't have £3k to piss up the wall on insurance and, do you know what, that means that I don't drive. It's that simple. I need a car but, because I can't afford one, I don't have one.

It would have made both my parents and my own lives far easier if I had a car and could have worked through summer, but that just wasn't an option. That means that money is going to be incredibly tight this year as I get a maintenance loan of £940 for the year and my parents can spare about £8k at the most which just about covers my year's maintenance. If I'd had a car I could have made a significant contribution, but instead I just have to hope my calculations for my living costs are right otherwise I'm stuffed. It is still no excuse for breaking the law though, a car is a privilege and not a right.
Reply 75
No, it's a right.
Original post by kumori
i had a valid reason once, the car insurance company put the wrong reg on my policy; didn't notice for 7 months, gave them a phone call and they looked and noticed they was in the wrong and changed it. however technically I did have insurance its just they had the wrong reg (even though they had to have my reg twice because there systems didn't recognise it)
Are you pleased at being put at risk by your insurers?
Reply 76
Original post by Coffinman
No, it's a right. Are you pleased at being put at risk by your insurers?

what? i don't quite get what you asking, you mean put at risk in the terms of there mistake caused me to have none valid insurance; no im not happy about that, however it was also my fault for not checking my policy.
Reply 77
Original post by kumori
what? i don't quite get what you asking, you mean put at risk in the terms of there mistake caused me to have none valid insurance; no im not happy about that, however it was also my fault for not checking my policy.

Although the insurance company got it wrong, you are responsible to make the insurance is valid and fit for purpose. EG: By reading it and checking it.

I wish that wasn't true but i know it is.
Reply 78
I doubt you would be pleased if the police impounded your car and had you running around trying to sort out their mess with your car at risk of getting crushed or sold.

Getting back to the topic,there are many good reasons to drive with no insurance.
To start off with insurance companies are rather unscrupulous themselves.
Referral scams,statistic scams,repair scams,hire car scams etc.
More than a few inquiries into their behavior have happened recently here's the latest one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18268650
The laws that have been passed concerning insurance pander far to much to the industry such as the latest idiotic requirement to have insurance if you haven't SORN'ed your vehicle.

There are lots of people questioning the legality of laws concerning cars from those who believe in a common law right to travel to those who believe it's against their human rights not only from a liberty point of view but also from a right to fair trial and property rights when it concerns the ability for police to take someones car for the slightest reason like the one at the start of this post.

I think something should be done about insurance as in it's present form it's another unnecessary drain on motorists wallets.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kumori
i dislike most people who drive without insurance, im sorry if they can not afford it then don't drive. i had to wait 2 years before i could afford insurance because people keep driving without it which makes my cost go up, I did not drive without insurance I waited it out and was not stupid.

so really people that are driving without insurance caused me to pay thousands more on my insurance, and plus no matter how 'safe' you drive don't mean you are not going to crash; and the poor person you crashed into now is very much out of pocket on the costs and also the insurance renewal price is going to be stupid too

I agree.
Driving is a luxury. If you cant afford to drive legally, then dont. People driving without insurance makes the price of insurance even higher for the rest of us. And however safe a driver you think you are, it doesnt mean you wont have an accident. Plus if you get caught by the police, then you are pretty screwed.

Latest

Trending

Trending