The Student Room Group

best STUDENT bank account!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by formanmark
Got my student account at santander today £50 cash in my account on the 18th of sep and £1500 overdraft from today as i deposited £500 also free internet banking and i get 1% apr on my £500 i paid in. Couldn't find another account with that gauenteed overdraft or that paid interest on credit in ur account never mind both and £50 for starting an account with them :smile:

Im happy with them anyway as i have lots of trouble starting my account due to issues with newest and as we all know u can only tell a good bank when things don't go smoothly and i must say im impressed by santander ill be closing my natwest and hsbc current account shortly :smile:.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That might just have swayed me.
Reply 121
Got my student account at santander today £50 cash in my account on the 18th of sep and £1500 overdraft from today as i deposited £500 also free internet banking and i get 1% apr on my £500 i paid in. Couldn't find another account with that gauenteed overdraft or that paid interest on credit in ur account never mind both and £50 for starting an account with them :smile:

Im happy with them anyway as i have lots of trouble starting my account due to issues with newest and as we all know u can only tell a good bank when things don't go smoothly and i must say im impressed by santander ill be closing my natwest and hsbc current account shortly :smile:.

Did you fill in the form online?

Hey! Do you have to deposit the £500 before you get the overdraft? :smile:

:smile:
I went into the branch to open my account. And yes you need to deposit £500 to get the £1500 overdraft but you get £250 overdraft untill you/ student finance deposit that amount.

Reply 124
Original post by Lydia1234
Santander gives you £50 if you go for their student account. Which is a better deal then a freee railcard because that's only £28.

On the Natwest website it offers a free FOUR year national rail card which is equivalent to £112 soooo Santander isn't really a better option...

Right what the hell is the difference between the Santander student account and the Santander Universities student account which Cambridge is apparently a part of?

I can sign up to either and they provide no info on the difference. Just say all the great things the 'Santander Universities' scheme has done but not what it will actually do for me.
Original post by hassi94
Right what the hell is the difference between the Santander student account and the Santander Universities student account which Cambridge is apparently a part of?

I can sign up to either and they provide no info on the difference. Just say all the great things the 'Santander Universities' scheme has done but not what it will actually do for me.

From a quick browse, nothing. The Santander Universities thing is that they are partners with unis and offer scholarship money, plus special products for staff, lecturers and graduates. Nothing different for UG from what I see, when you click on the UG link it takes you to the normal student account.
Original post by flown_muse
From a quick browse, nothing. The Santander Universities thing is that they are partners with unis and offer scholarship money, plus special products for staff, lecturers and graduates. Nothing different for UG from what I see, when you click on the UG link it takes you to the normal student account.

Half way through the application process it's come up with:

As you are attending a UK university included in the Santander University scheme you can apply for the Santander University student account instead of the UK Student account. Please read more details of the benefits of the Santander Universities Student account and select below the account option that you wish to apply for.

[] Student account: for first year student of British nationality

[] Santander Universities Student account: for first year student of British nationality studying at a Santander University

So I've got the option to choose either which implies there should be some sort of difference :confused: No one on the phone knew what I was talking about, called my branch manager and asked and she's had to ring somewhere else to find out -.-
Its easier to just go in the branch they sorted everything out for me.

Original post by Jamie1993
On the Natwest website it offers a free FOUR year national rail card which is equivalent to £112 soooo Santander isn't really a better option...

Yes but its only for existing customers not new customers and they only offer £500 overdraft in the first term (when u need to buy new books and pay accommodation while waiting for ur student finance to go in.

A rail card is useless if ur not commuting. And £112 over 4 years id rather pay that and have the lifeline of a massive overdraft. Also after u take off the £50 they give you you would have to pay £18 a year for your rail card lol

The reason different banks offer different benifits is because they are aimed at different people.
Obviously santander is aimed at people who are going be staying at halls. A masive overdraft straight away will help when your student finance is late but you still have to pay your accommodation.

Natwest offers the rail card so it might be best for people commuting large distances to uni by train.

Original post by callum9999
A railcard does, but it's not unique to Natwest. A 3 year railcard is only worth £65.00 at current prices (or around £25.20 a year), so it's not THAT much better than Santanders £50 offer.

I got a replacement card this summer even though I've just graduated, so I got a 5 year railcard :smile:

Original post by myblueheaven339
I got a replacement card this summer even though I've just graduated, so I got a 5 year railcard :smile:

Not too bad! I take back that previous statement now...
Reply 132
I'm trying to choose between santander and Co-op... someone help?
Reply 133
I'm drawn in opening an account either with Santander or Natwest but I'm not sure which to go for :/ I wouldn't qualify for the Natwest railcard as you have to have a account previous to opening the student one which I haven't but I've read that they offer a good graduate account/scheme. Please help!

Also, stupid question but; what is an overdraft and what does 0% mean?

Thanks

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
Half way through the application process it's come up with:

As you are attending a UK university included in the Santander University scheme you can apply for the Santander University student account instead of the UK Student account. Please read more details of the benefits of the Santander Universities Student account and select below the account option that you wish to apply for.

[] Student account: for first year student of British nationality

[] Santander Universities Student account: for first year student of British nationality studying at a Santander University

So I've got the option to choose either which implies there should be some sort of difference :confused: No one on the phone knew what I was talking about, called my branch manager and asked and she's had to ring somewhere else to find out -.-

I honestly cannot see a difference. The only thing I found on the Cambridge website is: http://www.cambridgetrusts.org/partners/santander/

It doesn't surprise me that they don't know tbh. There is a stupid lack of information :confused:

What does 1% APR mean?
Original post by bin94
I'm drawn in opening an account either with Santander or Natwest but I'm not sure which to go for :/ I wouldn't qualify for the Natwest railcard as you have to have a account previous to opening the student one which I haven't but I've read that they offer a good graduate account/scheme. Please help!

Also, stupid question but; what is an overdraft and what does 0% mean?

Thanks

Original post by neom
I'm trying to choose between santander and Co-op... someone help?

Basically, an overdraft allows you to take money out of your account that you don't have. So if you have £50 in the bank, and you need a book that is 56.99, you can still buy it, and it will go into your overdraft, so you'll have -£6.99 in your bank.

When you have a normal current account they usually charge you for having an overdraft, so they let you use it but they put interest on what you owe, so instead of having to -6.99 you would have -7.50 or something like that. 0% interest means you won't get that.

Santander are offering some money right now if you sign up and pay in a certain amount each month. Their overdraft is also pretty good, but will you need it? And I believe you have to pay a certain amount of money into your account before the overdraft is activated.

Co-op I don't know much about, but again they seem to have an okay overdraft. The only thing I would say when choosing an account is, what kind of banker are you? Are you always in credit? Would you rather have an overdraft for security? Are there going to be times when you need to pay your accommodation but you don't get the student loan til a few days later?

And finally, how are their telephone/online banking services? Apps? And it's rare that you need to go into a branch, but just in case, where is the nearest branch to you?

Quote me if you need any help, I like bank stuff :smile:
Original post by Pink Boy
What does 1% APR mean?

It means you get interest of 1% on your balance per year. So if you had 1000 in your bank and you didn't touch it for a year, you get interest of 1%, so you'll get £1010 at the end of the year :smile:
It means you get interest of 1% on your balance per year. So if you had 1000 in your bank and you didn't touch it for a year, you get interest of 1%, so you'll get £1010 at the end of the year :smile:

Well that's useless for a student account lol. I'd be withdrawing money daily!

Reply 139
Basically, an overdraft allows you to take money out of your account that you don't have. So if you have £50 in the bank, and you need a book that is 56.99, you can still buy it, and it will go into your overdraft, so you'll have -£6.99 in your bank.

When you have a normal current account they usually charge you for having an overdraft, so they let you use it but they put interest on what you owe, so instead of having to -6.99 you would have -7.50 or something like that. 0% interest means you won't get that.

Santander are offering some money right now if you sign up and pay in a certain amount each month. Their overdraft is also pretty good, but will you need it? And I believe you have to pay a certain amount of money into your account before the overdraft is activated.

Co-op I don't know much about, but again they seem to have an okay overdraft. The only thing I would say when choosing an account is, what kind of banker are you? Are you always in credit? Would you rather have an overdraft for security? Are there going to be times when you need to pay your accommodation but you don't get the student loan til a few days later?

And finally, how are their telephone/online banking services? Apps? And it's rare that you need to go into a branch, but just in case, where is the nearest branch to you?

Quote me if you need any help, I like bank stuff :smile:

Thanks

If I do spend money I don't have using the overdraft how would I pay it back? Does it get paid back when I get money back into my account? At the moment I would have no money to go into my new student account, until September when I get my student loan+grant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending