The Student Room Group

Are Btecs really worth 2 GCSEs?

Hi,
Im 15 and moving in to year 11 and im wondering if universities really see btecs as 2 gcse's. I finished a 2 year btec in business studies in around 8 months and my teachers have allowed me to do a lvl3 btec apparently worth a AS level. Confused lol :s-smilie:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A level 3 BTEC is somewhat of AS level standard but it not worth an AS because BTEC's are generally offered to people who don't achieve very high and need help with coursework - don't do it (especially if you hope to read medicine at university)
Reply 2
Original post by Patronum
A level 3 BTEC is somewhat of AS level standard but it not worth an AS because BTEC's are generally offered to people who don't achieve very high and need help with coursework - don't do it (especially if you hope to read medicine at university)

They are fully accepted and equivalent ,even into Oxbridge don't listen to him.Are A-Levels up to BTEC standard I wonder?
Reply 3
I really don't get why schools try to pass off BTECs as A levels - they're not. They're a level 3 qualification equivalent of an A level, but it's not an A level. I've seen people/schools say I got an A* in BTEC Sport/Science etc, well that's wrong. It's a distinction* not an A*.
Reply 4
Original post by Lyndonx
Hi,
Im 15 and moving in to year 11 and im wondering if universities really see btecs as 2 gcse's. I finished a 2 year btec in business studies in around 8 months and my teachers have allowed me to do a lvl3 btec apparently worth a AS level. Confused lol :s-smilie:

If it's not replacing any of your GCSEs, go for it!
Reply 5
Original post by Dalek1099
They are fully accepted and equivalent ,even into Oxbridge don't listen to him.Are A-Levels up to BTEC standard I wonder?

Wait, aren't you the boy in year 9? please keep your posts where appreciated thanks - oh and BTECS have been offered to about 60% of my school sixth form since they haven't achieved anything more then a C so if it's worth an A-level how come they weren't accepted to do so?
Tell them you'd rather focus on getting good grades at GCSE :wink:

So you're saying Cambridge will accept someone who did Biology, Chemistry and Applied Science over someone who did Biology, Chemistry and Maths/Physics for Natural Sciences? Rightttt..
The point is they're meant to be EQUIVALENT yeah but wether they're seen as worth the same is up to the uni
Reply 9

This is not the case. Schools push less able pupils into doing BTECs so they can claim their 6th forms are expanding. HE institutions say one thing on their websites but in reality will take A level candidates in preference for many courses.
There's nothing wrong with BTECs for certain progression routes but the talk of equivalence is innacurate. In a way it's not really comparing like with like.
Reply 10
I don't know why people are always comparing BTEC and other qualifications. There are difference in the way they are taught and what they can lead onto, but they carry the same weight in regards to level.

NQF qualifications are typically Entry level qualifications, GCSEs, A Levels, Certificate in HE...
QCF qualifications are typically Entry level certificates, BTEC level 1, level 2, level 3, level 4, Professional Diplomas...

For an example for the different levels and how they relate: GCSE grades A* - C is the same level as BTEC level 2, A Levels are the same level as BTEC level 3.

For a clearer and official break down of the levels of education and how they relate, view the DirectGov website. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039017

Personally, as a mature student, I studied BTEC HNC Media Production Level 4 at college (Which is the same level as the first year of university) I've had no problems or issues with getting into University. Some other people have taken the route to study BTEC HND level 5 at college and then go on to do a top up year in University to get a full degree. There are many routes to getting an education, none better than the other.
(edited 11 years ago)
In my mind, BTECs will never be equivalent. My friend got B's and C's in his GCSEs and A*s in his BTECs. Shows how unequal they both are.
You want the truth? No.

Reply 13
They're worth 4.
Reply 14
I never took BTEC's at GCSE people who claim they're not worth the same are just stuck up their own arse

Although poorer schools have risen up the tables because of them, BTEC's are a different way of learning, someone could be far more able than everyone doing A-levels and they could be doing BTEC's

most people on A-levels don't really understand the difference ways people learn.

Merit = B's in GCSE

but for A-level Btec (Level 3) they're only with a C.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
So you're saying Cambridge will accept someone who did Biology, Chemistry and Applied Science over someone who did Biology, Chemistry and Maths/Physics for Natural Sciences? Rightttt..

They should still be in a good chance of an offer though,as long as they get good grades.
They should still be in a good chance of an offer though,as long as they get good grades.

Errr, no. Natural Sciences at Cambridge is extremely competitive.
Errr, no. Natural Sciences at Cambridge is extremely competitive.

The problem with BTECs is that they don't cover the specfic subjects that universities want sometimes,this being a prime example-its about time they introduced BTEC Physics,Chemistry,Maths etc.
The problem with BTECs is that they don't cover the specfic subjects that universities want sometimes,this being a prime example-its about time they introduced BTEC Physics,Chemistry,Maths etc.

No not really, that'd be a horrible idea. BTEC subjects should really only be vocational and not venture into the traditional side of education. BTECs are more for 'practical' courses/careers, such as hairdressing. BTEC hairdressing or whatever would be more useful than any A level combinations.
Reply 19
No not really, that'd be a horrible idea. BTEC subjects should really only be vocational and not venture into the traditional side of education. BTECs are more for 'practical' courses/careers, such as hairdressing. BTEC hairdressing or whatever would be more useful than any A level combinations.

I don't think you understand the BTEC structure.

Quick Reply

Latest