The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Why UEA?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ralpharm
:eek: Really? You need AAA for Pharmacy, A*AA for Natural scince.... that's hardly easy access, or do you mean something else?

When it first opened in the 60s UEA had a bit of a reputations for letting anyone in and being 'easy access'. Obviously this isn't really true anymore and it's doing well to compete with the top 20 in the UK in a lot of subjects, but the name has stuck and is thrown around as a bit of a joke!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
:eek: Really? You need AAA for Pharmacy, A*AA for Natural scince.... that's hardly easy access, or do you mean something else?

I think it's arbitrary teasing. :wink:

And yeah, admittance depends on course requirements/competitiveness.
My offer was ABB. (Which I got exactly!)
Hi i have got admission into Norwich Business School, but i have also got admission into the MBA programs of the following universities also:
Birmingham City University
University of Coventry
University of Huddersfield
Sheffield Hallam University
University of Middlesex

I am in a dilemma now to chose any of these universities. Could please tell me how is the MBA course and staff at NBS in UEA, it would be really helpful for me.
Reply 23
Original post by pigwigeon
I'm a second year psychology student, so if you've got any particular questions, fire away. Thus far, I've really enjoyed the course. It's fairly heavily weighted towards social psychology, especially in the first year, so if that's your thing it might be for you. They lump all the statistics/research methods/report writing into one core module which is fairly good in terms of teaching you the entire process in an easy-to-pick-up way. I've enjoyed the lecturers, although they could do with more seminars in first year. This year it seems to be stepping up quite a lot, which I'm looking forward to. It's not at the top of the league tables by any means, but it's a really nice department.

As for Norwich, I love it. The city itself is fairly small, but when you get to know it, there's absolutely loads of stuff to do and places to explore. Enetertainment-wise, it's not going to be London or Manchester in terms of nightlife, and the clubs/bars/LCR nights tend to be directed more at an indie crowd, but that's not to say you won't find something you like if you look for it.

Social psychology's great :smile: How many seminars roughly do you get a week? I spent four days in half term up in the uni and Norwich does look like a big enough city to be entertaining. The accommodation I was in was also a lot better than a couple of unis I've been round, although I didn't get to see the teaching buildings. And the LCR sounds fantastic.
Original post by Jess Holly
Social psychology's great :smile: How many seminars roughly do you get a week? I spent four days in half term up in the uni and Norwich does look like a big enough city to be entertaining. The accommodation I was in was also a lot better than a couple of unis I've been round, although I didn't get to see the teaching buildings. And the LCR sounds fantastic.

Normally 2-3 hours per week of seminars.
The teaching for psychology normally happens in the Elizabeth Fry building, which is pretty modern, and quite nice to be in. The lecture theatres in it proudly feature the most uncomfortable seats in the entire university that seem to slope downwards and therefore try and tip you off them. I'm sure it's intentional to try and keep people awake. Oh, and understanding the system of room numbering is arguably more difficult than most of the modules I'm taking this year. but we do have a shiny new 'HUB', which I haven't quite understood the purpose for just yet (it's essentially a glorified reception desk where they do the admin for several different schools, and that they've made a huge fuss about), but they've put some new seats and a vending machine in there, so no complaints here.
The LCR is an absolute treat. I've never had a bad night there, mainly because I tend to only go to the themed nights where it's like a ridiculous school disco. And stumbling back to your flat in first year and not having to wait for buses/taxis/picking your way through broken glass walking through town to get home after the buses have stopped and it's getting light make it a real novelty.
Reply 25
Original post by Hasabooga
Hello everyone. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to where to go next year, so was just wondering why all you guys chose UEA? Whatever subject you're studying.
I have an offer to study PPE from both Lancaster and UEA, really cannot choose between them!
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

I went to an open day and fell in love with it :smile:

The course (Maths) seemed to be most suited to what I wanted to study out of all the ones I looked at. The atmosphere on the open day was sooo good, friendly, happy, social, and honestly it is like that all year round!

I also like the social scene. Other unis I went to seemed very 'clubbing' oriented. This is fine but I'm not a big clubber... I was attracted by Norwich's abundance of pubs and other sources of entertainment (not that they don't have plenty of clubs for those who like them) and lots of live music. It just seems more varied rather than clubclubclub like some others.

The union is brilliant, again compared to many (but not all) others it has a lot. Campus (another point, I preferred campus to non) has banks, shops, places to eat, a good sports place, and runs its own club nights/other entertainment. I love having all this available right there rather than having to rely on town. I also love the uniqueness of the architecture and the fact there is lovely open space and a lake plus woods to walk around and a park right there. On the politics side the union does actually work for the students and there are so many ways to get involved.

The accommodation went way beyond any others I saw. Others may have had one or two blocks of nice shiny new accom but you were likely to be left with old rubbish ones or even nothing. So far UEA still give a guarantee for students confirmed by just after results, so that includes insurance choices. They have many spaces and overall they are very fair and though they look different the facilities and quality of service are well balanced no matter which one you get. Plus they're all self catered which suited me perfectly.

As for the city, love it! Shopping is great, such a nice city with so much culture everywhere and great places to go. Plus a good supply of private housing... it is squeezed a little tighter this year but I think tuition fees may have caused that, and it's vastly better than the situation in many other cities like Cambridge.

Ok I think I've rambled on enough now :P It goes without saying that I'm biased so take it with a pinch of salt because I love it here.

xxx
Reply 26
Is UEA good for Computing?
What's the nightlife like? :smile:
Reply 27
You should go to UEA because Matt Smith went to UEA!

That was my sole reason for coming here, obvs.
Original post by Hazular
You should go to UEA because Matt Smith went to UEA!

That was my sole reason for coming here, obvs.

Well, that wasn't the reason I applied either...:wink: :wink: :wink:

Spoiler

Can anyone tell me what it's like studying pharmacy at UEA? Stuck between there and maybe Bath if they give me an offer!
Reply 29
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Well, that wasn't the reason I applied either...:wink: :wink: :wink:

Spoiler

Can anyone tell me what it's like studying pharmacy at UEA? Stuck between there and maybe Bath if they give me an offer!

Quite a lot of lectures compared to other courses, there's a lab session every two weeks and I have to write a lab report before the next lab. All lectures are related to their real life use, I find this particularly helpful. The lecturers are genuinely lovely and make an attempt to know you personally. I have also done a hospital placement and things like Problem based learning (working with other pharmacists to solve a health scenario), Interprofesional learning (with other healthcare professionals) and dispensary classes (practice in a "real" pharmacy) + Clubbing roughly 2/3 times a week :tongue: All this in my first 3 months :biggrin:

You'll love it but make sure you visit the uni first
Quite a lot of lectures compared to other courses, there's a lab session every two weeks and I have to write a lab report before the next lab. All lectures are related to their real life use, I find this particularly helpful. The lecturers are genuinely lovely and make an attempt to know you personally. I have also done a hospital placement and things like Problem based learning (working with other pharmacists to solve a health scenario), Interprofesional learning (with other healthcare professionals) and dispensary classes (practice in a "real" pharmacy) + Clubbing roughly 2/3 times a week :tongue: All this in my first 3 months :biggrin:

You'll love it but make sure you visit the uni first

Saw it on the open day. Absolutely loved it, although the weather helped, so sunny that day. Want another look round the city though, didn't see it properly. Sounds fantastic though, I'd love to go there.
Reply 31
Normally 2-3 hours per week of seminars.
The teaching for psychology normally happens in the Elizabeth Fry building, which is pretty modern, and quite nice to be in. The lecture theatres in it proudly feature the most uncomfortable seats in the entire university that seem to slope downwards and therefore try and tip you off them. I'm sure it's intentional to try and keep people awake. Oh, and understanding the system of room numbering is arguably more difficult than most of the modules I'm taking this year. but we do have a shiny new 'HUB', which I haven't quite understood the purpose for just yet (it's essentially a glorified reception desk where they do the admin for several different schools, and that they've made a huge fuss about), but they've put some new seats and a vending machine in there, so no complaints here.
The LCR is an absolute treat. I've never had a bad night there, mainly because I tend to only go to the themed nights where it's like a ridiculous school disco. And stumbling back to your flat in first year and not having to wait for buses/taxis/picking your way through broken glass walking through town to get home after the buses have stopped and it's getting light make it a real novelty.

Thank you, that's great :smile: not so fantastic news about the seats, but i'm not going to base a choice off that. How many lectures do you get?
I'm a second year psychology student, so if you've got any particular questions, fire away. Thus far, I've really enjoyed the course. It's fairly heavily weighted towards social psychology, especially in the first year, so if that's your thing it might be for you. They lump all the statistics/research methods/report writing into one core module which is fairly good in terms of teaching you the entire process in an easy-to-pick-up way. I've enjoyed the lecturers, although they could do with more seminars in first year. This year it seems to be stepping up quite a lot, which I'm looking forward to. It's not at the top of the league tables by any means, but it's a really nice department.

As for Norwich, I love it. The city itself is fairly small, but when you get to know it, there's absolutely loads of stuff to do and places to explore. Enetertainment-wise, it's not going to be London or Manchester in terms of nightlife, and the clubs/bars/LCR nights tend to be directed more at an indie crowd, but that's not to say you won't find something you like if you look for it.

My word that sounds like a godsend after the heavy psych course at bangor lol. that course was a nightmare with many students not happy with it- easy-to-pick-up are four words which would be no where near the course i did for a term.
Reply 33

Any idea what the sports side of UEA is like? more particulary the gyms and the sports club? i recently taken up weight-lifting and cardio once a week and i loving how my body feels and looks now days and i want to carry on lifting!!! any advice could be well appreciated
Original post by arnab
Any idea what the sports side of UEA is like? more particulary the gyms and the sports club? i recently taken up weight-lifting and cardio once a week and i loving how my body feels and looks now days and i want to carry on lifting!!! any advice could be well appreciated

I definitely don't have a great amount of expertise in this area, haha. I've only ever used the gym and the swimming pool on campus. There seem to be a lot of guys who do weight lifting whenever I walk past the gym (and thereby feel depressed about my life), but it seems quite small although perfectly well equipped. I know there are other gyms around that you could potentially go to, but check out the Sportspark website (sportspark.co.uk) which should give you more information about facilities and prices etc.
Reply 35
I definitely don't have a great amount of expertise in this area, haha. I've only ever used the gym and the swimming pool on campus. There seem to be a lot of guys who do weight lifting whenever I walk past the gym (and thereby feel depressed about my life), but it seems quite small although perfectly well equipped. I know there are other gyms around that you could potentially go to, but check out the Sportspark website (sportspark.co.uk) which should give you more information about facilities and prices etc.

thanks!!!
Reply 36
Original post by arnab

it has very good sports facilities and gym
Original post by arnab
Any idea what the sports side of UEA is like? more particulary the gyms and the sports club?

Here's a list of all the current clubs/societies:
http://www.ueastudent.com/socweb2

Also, the gym times/prices at the sportspark (on campus):
http://sportspark.co.uk/activities-sports/fitness/

As a student you get 'educational' membership as a standard with induction, but you can always upgrade to any other membership based on your usage of the gym. There are plenty of weights machines, freeweights and cardio machines to go around generally (although there can be a queue for the treadmills!). Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Thisisagoodname
Here's a list of all the current clubs/societies:
http://www.ueastudent.com/socweb2

Also, the gym times/prices at the sportspark (on campus):
http://sportspark.co.uk/activities-sports/fitness/

As a student you get 'educational' membership as a standard with induction, but you can always upgrade to any other membership based on your usage of the gym. There are plenty of weights machines, freeweights and cardio machines to go around generally (although there can be a queue for the treadmills!). Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks!

Hey, I'm starting the psychology course this September and was just wondering on a more general note when courses start? The website says the semester starts on the 24th but I don't move in until the 23rd and I'm worried I won't have time to find my feet!

And also more specific to psychology, how much work do you do per week? I know there's 2 lectures and 1 seminar but obviously a lot more non-contact time is needed and it'd be great to have a rough idea!

Thanks! :banana:

Quick Reply

Latest