The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosadreams
Hey guys, I need some advice about starting a sixth-form college. I'm doing the international baccalaureate. I have 2 of my close friends going too, thank goodness, but they are doing A-Levels.

I haven't really had to make all new friends since year 1. Can anybody who has been in this situation, not knowing anyone in your classes, can I get some advice on how to deal with it?

I come from an all-girls' school and my college is both sexes. I don't really have a great deal of experience being in a mixed-sex learning enviroment along with the different social economics of it all.
My friend's Dad said that the boys might taught us a bit because we went to a girls' school. Sorry if this sounds absolutely ridiculous.

My advice would just be not to worry :wink: I also have a friend who's doing the IB and although she mostly spends her free time with us A levelers at lunch, she's said many times that because there's less students doing the IB, it's a lot easier to get to know everyone, and that it's almost like a little community.

Oh, and in general I would say that sixth form students are a lot more open minded than in secondary school. Nobody really cares about your background, or what you wear, or what you got in your GCSEs. When you get there, you'll be surprised how welcoming everyone is. I'm also incredibly shy, and yet at sixth form I've had proper conversations with people I would have never even dreamed of even talking to at secondary school! So, yeah, just go with the flow! Sit with as many new people on your induction day as you can and get talking! Nobody is going to judge you :biggrin:

Edit: Oh dear, just saw the date of your original post :lol: Ah well, maybe other people will find it useful. How did you get on, by the way?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 721
Question: How hard is physics? I got a high A in science at GCSE but I think im just scared? Planning to take it both years and go into engineering.
Hey to everyone (:

Does anyone know any recommended books for English Literature B (AQA)? :wink:
I'm currently buying some books for my a-levels (economics, english lit, history, religious studies) and I was searching for a decent revision guide for english lit :smile:

thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Hey to everyone (:

Does anyone know any recommended books for English Literature B (AQA)? :wink:
I'm currently buying some books for my a-levels (economics, english lit, history, religious studies) and I was searching for a decent revision guide for english lit :smile:

thanks in advance :smile:

If you know what books you will have to read for Lit, then buy them and read them, that way, it won't be unfamiliar when you have to do them.
Original post by CJG21
If you know what books you will have to read for Lit, then buy them and read them, that way, it won't be unfamiliar when you have to do them.

Oh okay..thanks! :smile:
For College I am joining a sixth form at a school I don't already go to, also they don't usually have many new students. I am a bit worried that everyone will already have their own friendship groups so does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.
My question is about friends. None of my friends from high school are going to my college so I'm having to start again, which I have no problem with really as the end of high school wasn't the best for me!

Anyway, what's it like to make friends knowing that you'll only likely be there for 2 years? Also, how cliquey is college compared to high school, do people still tend to stick to their own 'groups'?
So is everyone looking forward to sixth form which for most of us starts next week? (I start on the 6th Sept):smile:
I'm really excited!:biggrin:
Reply 728
Well, I'm Starting on Tuesday and I'm Really Nervous and Unsure What to Expect, and on top of that I'm moving schools - Which just makes me more Scared! HELP!
Nice thread. My worry is that it takes me a long time for things to "click". I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and I got A*s in them at GCSE's, but it takes longer for me to understand concepts. I got A*s because I had the time to perfect my technique at home. This is bad because I already know who's in my class, the same that were in my triple science class for Year 10 and 11, and all of them seem to understand things really fast, then move on too quickly for me. In particular my best friend, who sits next to me, is very quick. She speeds off and I'm stuck behind, feeling stupid and panicked. I know that at A level its hard to wait for the slow coaches and I dont want to waste everyone's time by asking the teacher. Also I'm afraid that I'll miss something important, because I'll still be trying to understand one aspect. What do you suggest I do? I'm willing to put as much work in as it takes
Reply 730
I've just had my first day at sixth form, and I had Maths, Biology and Chemistry and I feel that the lessons are too fast paced, and I don't get time to write things down. In maths I feel really stupid. Should I change all my options?
Original post by WheezyT
Question: How hard is physics? I got a high A in science at GCSE but I think im just scared? Planning to take it both years and go into engineering.

If you enjoy the subject and take your time to understand the principles you will be fine. Good GCSEs in sciences and math really help, and also taking mechanics as your math module (if taking AS level Math). It will be a shock the first couple of weeks but you get used to the jump up pretty quickly:smile:
Original post by LilyElise
Nice thread. My worry is that it takes me a long time for things to "click". I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and I got A*s in them at GCSE's, but it takes longer for me to understand concepts. I got A*s because I had the time to perfect my technique at home. This is bad because I already know who's in my class, the same that were in my triple science class for Year 10 and 11, and all of them seem to understand things really fast, then move on too quickly for me. In particular my best friend, who sits next to me, is very quick. She speeds off and I'm stuck behind, feeling stupid and panicked. I know that at A level its hard to wait for the slow coaches and I dont want to waste everyone's time by asking the teacher. Also I'm afraid that I'll miss something important, because I'll still be trying to understand one aspect. What do you suggest I do? I'm willing to put as much work in as it takes

Thats what your frees are for, just make sure you have the motivation so that when you go home or have frees you use them wisely to understand your subjects in more depth and homework of course.
Just started sixth form and it's way different from school!
The atmosphere in't the same at all! It was a pretty awkward first day :frown:
Reply 734
Hello, i'm a year 11 student and i'm choosing my options for next year. I really want to do pharmacy and I just wanted to ask, to do chemistry and biology A levels at Bradford college, would they accept these grades?
-Additional science - B overall but in (Biology, chemistry and physics grade C)
-Science core - C
-Maths - B
-English Language and literature - C
-Rs short course - C Long course - B
-Business studies - B probably might be an - A
-Textiles - C
I know the grades are low but just wanting some advice, Thanks
Original post by Rabia786
Hello, i'm a year 11 student and i'm choosing my options for next year. I really want to do pharmacy and I just wanted to ask, to do chemistry and biology A levels at Bradford college, would they accept these grades?
-Additional science - B overall but in (Biology, chemistry and physics grade C)
-Science core - C
-Maths - B
-English Language and literature - C
-Rs short course - C Long course - B
-Business studies - B probably might be an - A
-Textiles - C
I know the grades are low but just wanting some advice, Thanks

Those look like good GCSEs so I think you have a good chance. They usually want you to have a B in the subject you want to continue with so your additional science grade will be fine. Good luck .
Reply 736
I'm actually not in year 11, I went to college for a year and wish I'd gone straight on to sixth form to do A levels but instead I'm doing that this september. I applied for a sixth form and got a letter today asking me to attend an open evening and interview :smile:
Reply 737
Original post by TheFionaJay
Those look like good GCSEs so I think you have a good chance. They usually want you to have a B in the subject you want to continue with so your additional science grade will be fine. Good luck .

Awwh thankss
Hi :smile: I am currently in year 11 and i am choosing my a level options. However, after looking through a countless number of forums, i am still confused as to which a levels to choose in reference to my career choice. After my alevels, i wish to study law at university, preferably at one of the russell group universities.I understand that the universities in this group can be quite `strict` (to put it lightly), in terms of which a levels you choose ( i roughly understand that alevel subjects are catergorized as: traditional, being useful, etc...) and you of course have to achieve the best grades (A*AA, I believe?).

I would greatly appreciate someone to explain to me whether the a level options i have chosen which be benefical to me when i apply to university. I have not completed my gcse course as of yet but i am expected to achieve 5A*, 6A and 1B. (the reason as to why i have mentioned this is because, from what i have read, some universities also consider your gcse results as well that of your alevel results.) Any who, below is a list of the alevel subjects i have chosen currently:
English Lit
Biology
History
Government and Politics
(FYI, i am doing these 4 subjects to an ALEVEL STANDARD (A2?))

Thank you for spending the time to read this (i know its quite long) and i hope someone may be able to help. Also i think i have made quite a few errors in my writing so i am sorry for that :biggrin:
Becca :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 739
Hey I'm in year 12 and for law, all unis expect you to do really academic essay based subjects that show your ability to argue and show great knowledge. I do history and English, great to choose! And government and politics is good too, make sure the uni you want to go to accept it, usually should :smile: biology is fine as a subject you personally want to do, good choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending