The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Anyone else staying at Carr Mills Leeds!

Is anyone else staying at Carr Mills or is it just me......seems that way :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes me and my friend are staying at Carr Mills. Really looking forward to it, and Kirsty the manager has been really friendly! :smile:

I wonder when we get our room allocations
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
ahh nice.....what year of study? hopefully should find out near end of august? Kirsty is pretty friendly to be honest.
Reply 3
Yes hopefully, but Im eager to find out. Im a second year, you?

But yeah, I havent heard of anybody else staying there. But to be fair I dont think it's a very well known, I found it by chance. Hopefully that doesn't mean its dead!
Reply 4
Same second year at Leeds Met, but wasnt there for a long time just last few months! bad times haha. If its dead I'm gonna be drinking my JD on my own -_-

We got a real long wait till we find our room numbers.
Reply 5
Second year at Leeds Met and i intend to stay there.

Have not actually booked yet as i do not have the deposit at the moment but i intend to book when i have it provided rooms are still available.
4 years ago it was a very busy hall owned by Leeds University, but then during that year there was a large problem with violence and so they sold off the halls soon after. Even now, it's advised to take extreme caution when it starts to go dark, as Woodhouse isn't the safest of areas. Don't walk alone late at night! It's starting to get busier again now, but last year there were more problems with gang violence in the area so it still might not be as busy as you'd hope.

A closer option is iQ residences.
Reply 7
Original post by lovers in japan
4 years ago it was a very busy hall owned by Leeds University, but then during that year there was a large problem with violence and so they sold off the halls soon after. Even now, it's advised to take extreme caution when it starts to go dark, as Woodhouse isn't the safest of areas. Don't walk alone late at night! It's starting to get busier again now, but last year there were more problems with gang violence in the area so it still might not be as busy as you'd hope.

A closer option is iQ residences.

Yes I knew this actually, unfortunately I found out after I'd paid my deposit. I will be practicing extreme caution at night time. But I'll have to keep an eye on my flatmate because he liked to walk at night time last year.

The area adjacent to the accommodation looks pretty dodgy to me, I wont be exploring it. Hopefully I will avoid any trouble and the manager will give us some advice on staying safe.

I had considered iQ, but at the time I couldn't justify the extra cost considering how close they are to each other. I hope I dont end up really regretting my choice in a few months, I look pretty innocent so I guess I'm an easy target :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lewistpau
Yes I knew this actually, unfortunately I found out after I'd paid my deposit. I will be practicing extreme caution at night time. But I'll have to keep an eye on my flatmate because he liked to walk at night time last year.

The area adjacent to the accommodation looks pretty dodgy to me, I wont be exploring it. Hopefully I will avoid any trouble and the manager will give us some advice on staying safe.

I had considered iQ, but at the time I couldn't justify the extra cost considering how close they are to each other. I hope I dont end up really regretting my choice in a few months, I look pretty innocent so I guess I'm an easy target :frown:

There are a couple of shortcuts from Carr Mills to uni... do not under any circumstances take them. It will take an extra 15/20 minutes to get there but is much safer. Once you're by Leodis as well, you're pretty much fine. See how it goes, you can always advertise your room through Unipol and find somewhere else. I would advise speaking to uni and see if they will organise another free bus service to campus again in the meantime.

If you're living with a friend, try to always walk together, groups of people (particularly guys) aren't as much of a target. One guy on his own, no matter how hench, might still be attacked... it happened to a 6ft 4 friend of mine in 2008.
Reply 9
Original post by lovers in japan
There are a couple of shortcuts from Carr Mills to uni... do not under any circumstances take them. It will take an extra 15/20 minutes to get there but is much safer. Once you're by Leodis as well, you're pretty much fine. See how it goes, you can always advertise your room through Unipol and find somewhere else. I would advise speaking to uni and see if they will organise another free bus service to campus again in the meantime.

If you're living with a friend, try to always walk together, groups of people (particularly guys) aren't as much of a target. One guy on his own, no matter how hench, might still be attacked... it happened to a 6ft 4 friend of mine in 2008.

Yeah I will just have to see how it goes, but what you've told me has made me a bit nervous now. I know there is a shortcut next to the petrol station, I took it when we went to view a flat, it looked pretty dodgy.

Thanks for being honest, I'd like to have an idea of what to expect rather than have a terrible shock. Its better to expect the worst and be surprised than the other way around.
Yeah I will just have to see how it goes, but what you've told me has made me a bit nervous now. I know there is a shortcut next to the petrol station, I took it when we went to view a flat, it looked pretty dodgy.

Thanks for being honest, I'd like to have an idea of what to expect rather than have a terrible shock. Its better to expect the worst and be surprised than the other way around.

Sorry if I've made you nervous, but again I think it's better to go into something knowing what to expect. Yeah the petrol station one is nasty, yes it cuts off time to uni but don't risk it.

If during the day, then don't be too worried, but at night I would get a taxi (I don't know what buses go past if any, I only know the Leodis ones).
Reply 11
No worries people, simply get the 92 or 56 buses as both stop pretty much outside, walking after 6pm probably is not advisable (i doubt there's any risk of attack during the day). IQ is so close that it would not make much difference.
Reply 12
Yup im in carr mills! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
ahh hopefully get to see you! :smile:
Reply 14
Coolies :smile:
I don't go in the student back garden area that much though, mainly coz I don't know anyone!
My partners in full time employment so I live with him in the building opposite the student reception.
I usually do my laundry at 1am :P
Reply 15
So when are people thinking of moving in? If you haven't already :smile:
Reply 16
I never got given a student code to get into the back garden what is it could someone msg me it?

Reply 17
So when are people thinking of moving in? If you haven't already :smile:

Can't pay the deposit until i get my loans so hopeful that some people will drop out.

Anybody know if your payments are split equally between the three payments?
Reply 18
Original post by rach06ao
I never got given a student code to get into the back garden what is it could someone msg me it?

No sorry, I didn't know there was a garden. Exciting
Reply 19
I stayed here last year and might be coming back again.

Kirstys really nice and flexible when it comes to payments..I payed mine in three installments when my loan came in.
It was pretty scary when all the muggings etc happened but theres risk of stuff like that wherever you are really. If you get put with a good bunch of people youll love it,,one of the cheapest places around think i was the only one of my friends who stayed in other places whos loan actually covered the costs of their accomodation !

happy to answer any other qs :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest