The Student Room Group

How to get rid of periods ENTIRELY?

Without taking the pill, having the implant etc?

Does anyone know of anything that a GP can prescibe, other than contraceptives, that will completely stop periods?

Scroll to see replies

Removal of the ovaries should do the trick!
Original post by Anonymous

Does anyone know of anything that a GP can prescibe, other than contraceptives, that will completely stop periods?

Norethisterone can stop them, but it's only for short term use, e.g. I took it when I was going to a festival to delay my period until I got home.
Reply 3
ovarectomy.
Reply 4
Original post by Popppppy
Norethisterone can stop them, but it's only for short term use, e.g. I took it when I was going to a festival to delay my period until I got home.

Thanks, I found the name of this drug while searching on the internet but as you say, it's only a short term solution and I need something more permanent.

Original post by sazzabazza
Removal of the ovaries should do the trick!

That's my long term plan, but right now I can't have surgery. So aside from surgical procedures, does anyone have any other solutions?

Why don't you want to use contraceptives? I would have thought that was the obvious solution.
Reply 6
Original post by whatsername2009
Why don't you want to use contraceptives? I would have thought that was the obvious solution.

I don't want contraceptives because:

1) The sides effects - breast growth & weight gain. I don't want breast growth at all and weight gain is not something I want either. Also, the increased risk of acne - I had severe acne as a teenager and had to take roaccutane for it - I'm don't want to experience that again. But the main reason is breast growth - I don't care how slim the possibility is, if it's a possible side effect of a medication then I will not take that medication.

2) There is zero chance of me ever becoming pregnant - I don't need a contraceptive - I just need something that stops periods, not something that was designed to stop pregnancy.
Reply 7
I don't want contraceptives because:

1) The sides effects - breast growth & weight gain. I don't want breast growth at all and weight gain is not something I want either. Also, the increased risk of acne - I had severe acne as a teenager and had to take roaccutane for it - I'm don't want to experience that again. But the main reason is breast growth - I don't care how slim the possibility is, if it's a possible side effect of a medication then I will not take that medication.

2) There is zero chance of me ever becoming pregnant - I don't need a contraceptive - I just need something that stops periods, not something that was designed to stop pregnancy.

There isn't a way unless you get your ovaries removed.
You could try hormone therapy, removing your uterus or alternatively sellotaping up your vagina.
Reply 9
There is zero chance of me ever becoming pregnant

Ever is a bit of a strong word
One of my friends used a blowtorch on herself once. She's never had a period since
Aside from getting pregnant (which I'm assuming you don't want, and pregnancy is of course only temporary), the only way you could permanently stop your periods is having your ovaries removed, which would mean you would never be able to have your own children. I hate getting periods, but it's only a few days out of every month.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
Original post by TurboCretin
You could try hormone therapy, removing your uterus or alternatively sellotaping up your vagina.

Sellotaping my vagina sounds like the way forward, industrial strength duct tape might be better though :biggrin:.

Seriously though, what kind of hormone therapy, like Oestrogen blockers? I'll have to find out if my GP can prescribe something like that but I doubt it, I'd probably need the supervision of an endocrinologist if I start messing about with my hormone levels. Maybe I could get a referral.
Reply 13
Original post by glousck
Ever is a bit of a strong word

I don't sleep with men. I'm 23 and have never wanted to.
There is a pill you can take to stop a period, but long term use isn't recommended (and it would defeat the object of you not taking "the pill" as well). The implant really isn't that bad, once it's in you just forget about it, and can have it taken out whenever you like.

The only other option is to have your ovaries removed and, as that's quite major surgery, I am assuming that it's something you wouldn't want to do.

To cut a long story short, there are no healthy/natural ways to stop periods, the safest way is contraception.

EDIT: You say that you don't want to take contraceptives because there's no chance of you becoming pregnant. Well don't think about that aspect of it, doctors will prescribe them to stop periods (if they're heavy/painful, possibly not if you just don't like them.. find me a girl who does) without you having to be sexually active. There is nothing to be ashamed about, and not all types have the side effects that you've mentioned.
(edited 11 years ago)
Talk to your GP. There are other drugs you can take for heavy/long periods that are not contraceptives.

However, saying that, contraceptives are generally the best thing for regulating or even stopping periods all together. Particularly the IUS.
Reply 16

Apologies if I'm being nosey, but, why do you want to completely stop them?
Also, if you went on a contraceptive and maybe did a bit more exercise than usual you would be able to control the weight gain, the breast growth I am not so sure about.
Reply 17
Do you want children? If you're sure you don't want kids then you could have your ovaries removed.
Reply 18
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
There is a pill you can take to stop a period, but long term use isn't recommended (and it would defeat the object of you not taking "the pill" as well). The implant really isn't that bad, once it's in you just forget about it, and can have it taken out whenever you like.

The only other option is to have your ovaries removed and, as that's quite major surgery, I am assuming that it's something you wouldn't want to do.

You can have your uterus removed without your ovaries being removed - this tends to be a more common method of treatment for older women who have heavy periods. But anyway, it is very unlikely that a gynaecologist would agree to do a hysterectomy on someone like the OP, who I assume is young, without having tried any other treatment methods.

To cut a long story short, there are no healthy/natural ways to stop periods, the safest way is contraception.

EDIT: You say that you don't want to take contraceptives because there's no chance of you becoming pregnant. Well don't think about that aspect of it, doctors will prescribe them to stop periods (if they're heavy/painful, possibly not if you just don't like them.. find me a girl who does) without you having to be sexually active. There is nothing to be ashamed about, and not all types have the side effects that you've mentioned.

Yes exactly. There are a couple of alternatives which can help to deal with excessive bleeding or pain that aren't hormonal, but hormonal contraception should not be thought of as only for use in preventing pregnancy.
Reply 19
Original post by CobaltRose96
Aside from getting pregnant (which I'm assuming you don't want, and pregnancy is of course only temporary), the only way you could permanently stop your periods is having your ovaries removed, which would mean you would never be able to have your own children. I hate getting periods, but it's only a few days out of every month.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Having my ovaries removed doesn't bother me at all. I know a lot of women find it odd that a female could feel that way but I have absolutely zero desire to carry a child in my body. The thought of it makes me feel horrible - I have also never had a desire for my own children either. I don't need my female reproductive system - so the thought of surgery does not make me feel as though I would be experiencing a loss, since I feel as though my female reproductive system is something that I never wanted in the first place anyway.

I would like surgery but it isn't something that I can have right now - it will take a long time to get it on the NHS (especially since I am healthy and physically my uterus etc are not a 'problem' by their standards). To go privately I need a lot of money - I don't have any at the moment since I've just finished uni and have no job. So surgery is a long term consideration - meanwhile I have to have periods every month.
I know a lot of women are of the opinion that 'oh, it's only once a month, get over it' - but I absolutely cannot stand it, I hate it so much that it's indescribably. It's not even about the pain necessarily - generally my periods only hurt for the first 2 days - I just despise the whole experience of it. It makes me feel utterly disgusting and I cannot leave the house - this will inevitably affect my work life when I do get a job.

I'm not 'ashamed' of taking the pill because a doctor may think I'm sexually active - that's not the issue at all. I've spoken to my doctor and other health professionals in the NHS about very very personal things - so it's not a case of being shy or ashamed of anything. I'm very honest with my GP about everything.

The issue is that every contraceptive that I have read about carries the possibility of weight gain/breast growth and I will never ever take anything that has the slight chance of enlarging my breasts. Contraceptives carry this possibility - so I'm not seeking a contraceptive. I'm seeking a drug that ceases menstruation but that only one I know of is temporary. The only other solution that I can think of is to block my oestrogen.

I'm going to see my GP so I'm sure he will try to help me but I wanted to see if anyone might have known a drug/treatment so I could ask for it from him.

Quick Reply

Latest