The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Accommodation at Strathclyde University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Popppppy
Yea, when she came back the next semester she was a bit more pleasant, but still really picky.

The guys in the flat below did it, and got called to a hearing. But they only got a telling off. They also put a sign up in their window with a swear word on it, and got another telling off (because the nursery for lecturers and students to leave their children is in the student village, so the kids could see the sign).
Their flat was a nightmare, they never cleaned it, but it was good to have the parties there because they didn't care if you made a mess and you didn't have to clean it up!

They sound like naughty boys. The code of conduct has a whole paragraph telling us that we are not allowed to throw stuff out of our windows. They titled that section 'missiles' :giggle:
A flat like that seems good to have, though. Like you said, for having parties.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Another tip, during the inspections I got marked down for owning a doorstop. -.- Apparently you're not allowed to own one since the doors are fire exits so must remain shut at all times. Also I got marked down for having my toiletries out in my bathroom not tidied away, this was 'acceptable mess'.

I think the main tip here is make sure your rooms are absolutely perfect on inspection day. :tongue:
Original post by ~ Dude :)
Another tip, during the inspections I got marked down for owning a doorstop. -.- Apparently you're not allowed to own one since the doors are fire exits so must remain shut at all times. Also I got marked down for having my toiletries out in my bathroom not tidied away, this was 'acceptable mess'.

I think the main tip here is make sure your rooms are absolutely perfect on inspection day. :tongue:

Yea we got a row for this too, but then my flatmates dad gave us the same row and he's a fireman, so it was justified.
Yea we got a row for this too, but then my flatmates dad gave us the same row and he's a fireman, so it was justified.

I could understand the reasons but I only used it when I was wheeling good old Henry in. :smile: Never the less she was nice and let me keep my 50p IKEA doorstop for such purpose, but not so much with my bathroom. :tongue:
Reply 344
Original post by FinnLassie

Ahh thankfully I haven't got pretty much anything to do on the 14th so I can walk around and see what's the best way to get from JB to the buildings and so on. :smile: And most important of all, check out Aldi. :biggrin:

Haha, yeah Aldi and Lidl should be nearby. So that's a plus :h: Hope there is a Boots or Superdrug as well somewhere. I wouldn't like to walk into the city centre if I only need shampoo.

Yea, it's just beside the office, under the pub.
The inspection woman is very annoying, at least it's only once each semester.
My friend had food poisoning and was throwing up during the inspection, and we got marked down for our toilet not being clean!
Other than that they're not very strict, just keep out of trouble and don't throw bottles out of the window!

OMG, that sounds terrible! As if they only try to find something they can mark you down for. Do they only have a short look into your room? Or do they also look into your wardrobe under your bed etc?
Thanks for the advice of using the other laundry room, I would have been so annoyed if I get my clothes back stinky and not all clean!
Original post by alaska.
Haha, yeah Aldi and Lidl should be nearby. So that's a plus :h: Hope there is a Boots or Superdrug as well somewhere. I wouldn't like to walk into the city centre if I only need shampoo.

At least Superdrug is on Argyle Street and it's not difficult to find... All that pink :biggrin: Don't know about Boots, the closest one I can think of is in Buchanan Galleries.

One of the first things to do for me is to go to Poundland and find some super cheap sponges haha. 20 for a quid!
Reply 346
Original post by FinnLassie
At least Superdrug is on Argyle Street and it's not difficult to find... All that pink :biggrin: Don't know about Boots, the closest one I can think of is in Buchanan Galleries.

One of the first things to do for me is to go to Poundland and find some super cheap sponges haha. 20 for a quid!

haha, don't forget coat hangers!! Usually there are never enough coathangers in the wardrobe provided. So that is also something that I will buy as soon as I move in on Sunday :yep:

Ahh, okaay. Good to know, I prefer Boots but a Superdrug will do, I guess :h: I should really compare prices :s-smilie:
Original post by alaska.
haha, don't forget coat hangers!! Usually there are never enough coathangers in the wardrobe provided. So that is also something that I will buy as soon as I move in on Sunday :yep:

Ahh, okaay. Good to know, I prefer Boots but a Superdrug will do, I guess :h: I should really compare prices :s-smilie:

Oooh coathangers! I never use them at home as all the formal wear of the house have invaded that space, so I never thought I might actually need them...

Buchanan Galleries might be closer but eh I don't know. I don't really know which I like better haha, but I've been to Superdrug more often. :biggrin:
Original post by alaska.

OMG, that sounds terrible! As if they only try to find something they can mark you down for. Do they only have a short look into your room? Or do they also look into your wardrobe under your bed etc?
Thanks for the advice of using the other laundry room, I would have been so annoyed if I get my clothes back stinky and not all clean!

There's a Sainsburys and a Co-op just at the bottom of the steps from James Blyth where you can buy shampoo/deoderant/toothpaste etc, but Boots isn't that far away either.

They don't look in your wardrobe don't worry, just make sure the floor is clear, and the bed is made.
If anyone's looking for private residency I have 2 rooms available in a three bed flat, about 10 minutes away from the campus
Reply 350
Original post by alaska.

There's a Boots in the St. Enoch Shopping Centre as well close to the Superdrug on Argyle Street.
Reply 351
Original post by Benno1323
There's a Boots in the St. Enoch Shopping Centre as well close to the Superdrug on Argyle Street.

cheers! Is any of the two better for my student budget? I haven't had too much experience with Superdrug...
I think most cosmetics/toiletries have standard prices so Superdrug should have the same prices as Boots.
Reply 353
Original post by KiaraMarissa
I think most cosmetics/toiletries have standard prices so Superdrug should have the same prices as Boots.

You think?! In Germany I could buy my hair shampoo from pantene pro-v fr three different prices having a difference of 1,50€ between the cheapest and most expensive. Adds up - as I tend to use too much shampoo :colondollar:
Everyone looking forward to getting to Strathy soon then? :awesome:

I miss it already... :tongue:

Actually have an exam out here by the time Strathy is only just having Fresher's Week. Depressing as f***.
Original post by alaska.
cheers! Is any of the two better for my student budget? I haven't had too much experience with Superdrug...

Get a Boots card. It's free to sign up, and for every £1 you spend you get 4 points, worth a penny each back, but it adds up. I got mine when I was about 16 and I now have £60 worth of points on it.
Reply 356
Get a Boots card. It's free to sign up, and for every £1 you spend you get 4 points, worth a penny each back, but it adds up. I got mine when I was about 16 and I now have £60 worth of points on it.

That's a great idea, thanks a lot! Do you get it online, or do you just fill it out at the store?
Original post by alaska.
That's a great idea, thanks a lot! Do you get it online, or do you just fill it out at the store?

Either I think.
Here's the link to do it online http://www.boots.com/en/Advantage-Card/
They also send you vouchers every couple of months which are handy.

That's a really good tip! Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 359
Either I think.
Here's the link to do it online http://www.boots.com/en/Advantage-Card/
They also send you vouchers every couple of months which are handy.

soooo many freebies and vouchers :yeah: cheers for the link as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending