The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Actually, following on an earlier discussion, I would really appreciate any comments/thoughts/suggestions on the following.
I have ambitions of going onto to study Law/Land Economy & so was wondering, do people think this combination would work well for that (and the subjects work well with each other)

Geography HL
Economics HL
Biology HL

English SL
Maths Methods SL
French SL

(Please Note, I have checked Uni course requirements where there is no general requirement for Eng/Hist at HL (to study Law), although am grateful for feedback)
Reply 961
Sounds good to me except you should maybe level up your maths:smile: then again im not an expert.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio
Original post by logiadoevus
"I'm pretty sure" is a useless statement. So is claiming to know what universities know or want in a definitive manner. Yes, generally speaking History is preferable to B&M but it is wrong of you to claim something as a fact when, in fact, you don't know it that well, especially not if you're a current student.

http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/index.cfm

"I'm pretty sure" means I've checked the statistics, which are 3% in History SL, 4% in B&M HL. I'm also not talking in a definitive or factual matter; for me, the majority of my Uni. friends and my school's two university advisers, the skills that you get with History SL (and hence the course itself) are/is much more relevant and wanted by universities than the skills you get in B&M HL (and the course). According to some reports Oxbridge even gives '- points' to an applicant who takes B&M HL.
Original post by Achilleasrn
http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/index.cfm

"I'm pretty sure" means I've checked the statistics, which are 3% in History SL, 4% in B&M HL. I'm also not talking in a definitive or factual matter; for me, the majority of my Uni. friends and my school's two university advisers, the skills that you get with History SL (and hence the course itself) are/is much more relevant and wanted by universities than the skills you get in B&M HL (and the course). According to some reports Oxbridge even gives '- points' to an applicant who takes B&M HL.

Right now go check up May 2010 where they are both 3%: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/May2010Statisticalbulletin.pdf

Statistics vary from year to year and the difference between 3 and 4% is pretty negligible in any case.

Yup, I'll concede that historically History is considered a more "traditional" option - I was merely pointing out that your statement on the relative difficulty of two subjects, which you have no way of determining, is quite flawed.

With regards to that anecdote about Oxbridge, don't believe any of those stories. To begin with people don't realise that undergrad admissions actually take place at a college level and a tutor at one college does not weight different aspects of your UCAS application in the same way (my tutor for instance openly admits to have never read a personal statement in his life). And for the record, I did B&M and Econ HL at IB and was accepted for E&M at Oxford. I have friends here studying PPE, Medicine and even Maths who took B&M at HL or SL level.

It's worth pointing out that the "Business Studies" course taught at A-Level has a very different structure and content to B&M and hence, whilst the former is quite often frowned upon, the latter is not nearly as soft.
Original post by dogmatichurricane
Right now go check up May 2010 where they are both 3%: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/May2010Statisticalbulletin.pdf

Statistics vary from year to year and the difference between 3 and 4% is pretty negligible in any case.

Yup, I'll concede that historically History is considered a more "traditional" option - I was merely pointing out that your statement on the relative difficulty of two subjects, which you have no way of determining, is quite flawed.

With regards to that anecdote about Oxbridge, don't believe any of those stories. To begin with people don't realise that undergrad admissions actually take place at a college level and a tutor at one college does not weight different aspects of your UCAS application in the same way (my tutor for instance openly admits to have never read a personal statement in his life). And for the record, I did B&M and Econ HL at IB and was accepted for E&M at Oxford. I have friends here studying PPE, Medicine and even Maths who took B&M at HL or SL level.

It's worth pointing out that the "Business Studies" course taught at A-Level has a very different structure and content to B&M and hence, whilst the former is quite often frowned upon, the latter is not nearly as soft.

Yeah I obviously agree that by taking BM you do not severely harm your application; as I said, it's not a matter of life or death. However, I -think- that you're better off with History as a student due to the amazing critical reasoning & essay writing skills you gain, which outweigh the basic Business knowledge you'll gain either way during the first 2-3 terms. A friend of mine did take SL History and HL B&M and found History a lot harder (I know it's anecdotal, but his essay writing skills were superb before the course, so that should say something about the course's quality, which I believe is one of the best offered in the IB).
Reply 965
How good is Geography HL for business/management later on. Or is history way better for it?
Reply 966
Hi im thinking About going to a university in Australia in Economics/financial or Engineering
my subjects are
Maths SL
Spanish A SL (Self Thought)
Physics SL
B & M HL
Geography HL
English B HL

My question is if a really need Physics if decide to go to engineering? a
Because is really hard for my that would lower my grades.
Is it true that i can do a bridge course or something.
I would change for BIO HL and my Geo would be SL
Reply 967
1 Day Ago: 27th August 2012 17:08
rooney10

IB choices
Hi guys, I am going to start my first year of IB in September and I have taken HL Maths, Economics, and French. SL English, Chemistry and French.

1 How are these in general and for University courses as I want to go down the Finance, Banking Route, maybe abroad (hence the languages), but i know you can do anything at University and then turn to Finance, as its not specific.
2 I got IGCSE A - Maths (Just missed the A star), French IGCSE - A *, And we didnt take Economics, IGCSE English A, IGCSE Spanish A* and Chemistry B. (Physics A)
I am not sure which science to take, it is between Chemistry and Physics, I have heard Chemistry SL is an easier step up from IGCSE.
3 Any ideas for careers?
4 Thankyou
Tweet 0 0
Reply 968
Original post by omarhl13
Hi im thinking About going to a university in Australia in Economics/financial or Engineering
my subjects are
Maths SL
Spanish A SL (Self Thought)
Physics SL
B & M HL
Geography HL
English B HL

My question is if a really need Physics if decide to go to engineering? a
Because is really hard for my that would lower my grades.
Is it true that i can do a bridge course or something.
I would change for BIO HL and my Geo would be SL

You will definitely need do HL Maths and HL Physics if you want to do Engineering. Most Universities like it if you do HL Maths for Economics as well- why haven't you chosen Economics as a subject if you intend to pursue it later on? :confused:
Hello :smile:
I'm thinking of going into a media/law related career so branching into broadcasting internationally so would this be a suitable combination? Then again, I tried to keep my options quite wide to give me the options later in life, So...
Biology HL
English Literature HL
History HL
French B SL
Spanish ab initio SL
Maths Studies SL

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 970
Does your school have an option of Film? Because that would help with media.

Nice subjects and admirable considering you're doing 2 languages.
Original post by Dizmel
Does your school have an option of Film? Because that would help with media.

Nice subjects and admirable considering you're doing 2 languages.

Hi :smile: thanks for the advice, unfortunately no my school doesn't offer a film option but I thought 2 languages would be suitable as I really want to get into international broadcasting of some sort :wink: thanks again:biggrin:
Hi everyone!
I'm just staring ib and have been so confused on my subjects!
I'm not too sure what I want to be.. I'm thinking of biochemistry so my subjects are at the movement: HL English, bio, chem SL history, math, Spanish
BUT I am also really interested in maybe doing journalism! But then I would need HL History for that..
So what do I do? Because if I did history at HL I would have to drop bio and then biochemistry would be out of the question..
Or should I be mad enough to do all 4 at HL?

Please, any advice is really helpful!
Reply 973
Hi!
I've just started IB and at uni I want to do International Relations or Theology or something similar. At the moment I'm doing:
HL English
HL French
HL History
SL Chemistry
SL Maths
Ab initio Italian

Do you think that these are suitable subjects to take for doing International Relations? At the moment Italian is way too easy for me, because I've already been doing it for three years (I can't switch to B SL because there aren't enough students for it), so I'm considering switching to either Geography or Economics, but this would mean that I'd probably get less overall on the IB because I wouldn't have the advantage of doing a language that I'm already quite good at.

What do you think? Should I change my group 6 subject?
Reply 974
Hi everyone
I'm looking for some advice on subjects as a GCSE student (haven't taken the exams yet but the decisions are being made based on mocks right now). I'm predicted at 9 A*s in my 10 subjects (I hate that english lit exam), and I'm thinking to eventually apply to uni for Natural Sciences or a pure science (fingers crossed on Oxbridge).

Currently, these are my thoughts for HL and SL:

HL -
Maths
Physics
Chemistry

SL -
English A
French B
Economics

My questions are on whether these options good for me, how these options are perceived by unis, how you'd consider them, possibly what future careers does this combination hold for me and whether IB itself is as taxing as people make it out to be.
Thanks so much in advance!
Reply 975
Original post by Bodgy
Hi everyone
I'm looking for some advice on subjects as a GCSE student (haven't taken the exams yet but the decisions are being made based on mocks right now). I'm predicted at 9 A*s in my 10 subjects (I hate that english lit exam), and I'm thinking to eventually apply to uni for Natural Sciences or a pure science (fingers crossed on Oxbridge).

Currently, these are my thoughts for HL and SL:

HL -
Maths
Physics
Chemistry

SL -
English A
French B
Economics

My questions are on whether these options good for me, how these options are perceived by unis, how you'd consider them, possibly what future careers does this combination hold for me and whether IB itself is as taxing as people make it out to be.
Thanks so much in advance!

Hey there,

You have a really balanced subject outline in my opinion.

HL Maths, Physics and Chemistry are often regarded as the 3 hardest HL subjects and doing them all will be a challenge- but if you plan to continue down the scientific path, it's the right choice.

If you continue with those 3 HL subjects, IB will be very taxing and often stressful (I know friends who've done it), but also rewarding since those are the subjects you enjoy the most.

Universities will take into account the fact that you chose the 3 hardest HLs, but you will still have to score high to have a chance at Oxbridge.

There are plenty of career paths to choose from in science, from research to corporate-level stuff, the world is full of opportunities.

All the best with IB and good luck for the future! :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's a huge advantage that you were actually allowed to choose Italian Ab intio, despite doing it for three years, and it would be an easy 7 for you :smile: But having said that, you may already know the whole course content so you might find it boring, depending on your teacher. Since you said that you were considering International Relations, I would strongly suggest taking Economics mainly because it is strongly relevant to your future course or study. I currently do Economics at HL, and it isn't that hard at all. It's quite interesting as well, as you'd be discussing world issues and how they relate to Economics. Don't know much about Geography so I can't help you there, but I do know that getting a 7 in Economics is quite manageable to obtain.
Hope that helped anyway :smile:

Original post by .Jo.
Hi!
I've just started IB and at uni I want to do International Relations or Theology or something similar. At the moment I'm doing:
HL English
HL French
HL History
SL Chemistry
SL Maths
Ab initio Italian

Do you think that these are suitable subjects to take for doing International Relations? At the moment Italian is way too easy for me, because I've already been doing it for three years (I can't switch to B SL because there aren't enough students for it), so I'm considering switching to either Geography or Economics, but this would mean that I'd probably get less overall on the IB because I wouldn't have the advantage of doing a language that I'm already quite good at.

What do you think? Should I change my group 6 subject?
I'm in year eleven right now and I was thinking of doing the Ib. The problem is that the college I want to go to offers only very limited courses. I was thinking of doing economics or law at university.
So here are my subjects so far:
HL maths, HL literature, HL economics
SL chem, SL business/SL bio, SL French B
Should I do business or bio at SL?
And will HL maths be easier if I've already done add maths at igcse?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by sellerofdreams
I'm in year eleven right now and I was thinking of doing the Ib. The problem is that the college I want to go to offers only very limited courses. I was thinking of doing economics or law at university.
So here are my subjects so far:
HL maths, HL literature, HL economics
SL chem, SL business/SL bio, SL French B
Should I do business or bio at SL?
And will HL maths be easier if I've already done add maths at igcse?

Additional maths will be helpful for HL Maths, and will also give you a much better idea of your aptitude for it (even A* candidates at normal maths GCSE will often struggle). I would advise against SL Business because many think it has too much of an overlap with economics: I think this may come from the equivalent A Levels, but it's still best to avoid it. Then again, Biology wouldn't be spectacularly useful for your courses either, but if it has to be one or the other it's probably a better bet.
Original post by CLS94
Additional maths will be helpful for HL Maths, and will also give you a much better idea of your aptitude for it (even A* candidates at normal maths GCSE will often struggle). I would advise against SL Business because many think it has too much of an overlap with economics: I think this may come from the equivalent A Levels, but it's still best to avoid it. Then again, Biology wouldn't be spectacularly useful for your courses either, but if it has to be one or the other it's probably a better bet.

Thanks for the advice! The thing is though I'm not sure if I will be able to keep up with HL maths because I'm currently averaging a B for add maths(but A star for normal maths). I think I'll try to do bio then. I would have loved history, but my college doesn't offer it.

Latest

Trending

Trending