The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by BethanW
I don't think it's offered by any societies on campus, but there's a pub in town called The Birdcage that runs a session once a month, I think. They're on Facebook and have a website, so look them up :smile:

Oh okay, thanks, I might have a hunt around for anywhere that holds them more regularly, but I'll look at these guys (:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by HFM
Is there any opportunity to take art/life drawing classes at the university as although I decided to study art history, rather than fine art, I am very concerned that I'mll miss the practical side...on or off campus would be fine, my accommodation is Mary chapman.

There's an adult education centre in Norwich that's like the 'go to' place for art leisure courses. They do everything from still life to silversmithing, and they're good for concessionary fees. Just google 'leisure courses Norfolk county council.' I hope this helps.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 602
What mobile phone networks have good coverage in Norwich? I'm on O2 but switching to 3 soon, so will these be any good?
Original post by Rapidash
What mobile phone networks have good coverage in Norwich? I'm on O2 but switching to 3 soon, so will these be any good?

I've never had any problems with O2. That's all I can comment on :p:

Even when O2 had their weird crash a few weeks ago, I wasn't affected.
Reply 604
Original post by HFM
Is there any opportunity to take art/life drawing classes at the university as although I decided to study art history, rather than fine art, I am very concerned that I'mll miss the practical side...on or off campus would be fine, my accommodation is Mary chapman.

Mary Chapman is really near Norwich University College of the Arts (my cousin went there a few years ago) so maybe you could ask them? Real art student area, lots going on
Reply 605
Original post by Rachelshmachel
There's an adult education centre in Norwich that's like the 'go to' place for art leisure courses. They do everything from still life to silversmithing, and they're good for concessionary fees. Just google 'leisure courses Norfolk county council.' I hope this helps.

Thankyou, I'll try there! (:
Reply 606
Original post by Bronzeage
Mary Chapman is really near Norwich University College of the Arts (my cousin went there a few years ago) so maybe you could ask them? Real art student area, lots going on

Thanks for your help (:
i am going into my second year and lived off campus for my first, as i am for my second, and found that i got friends a few ways. due to personal reasons i didn't do much with the societies till after Christmas but once i joined the deviants (the rock and alternative music society) i gained my main friend base, i have since been voted in to a comity position. another way i got friends was from my classes, i was in a small class (<30 people) for 2/3 of my units so we became quite a close group. the other way was talking to people who took my course last year in the pc labs.

as for the computer question, you don't NEED a home pc as there are plenty of machines on campus as long as it isn't deadline day but for doing work from home then most of the time you just need a program that can work with word documents and save them, i don't know if the version of word that you mentioned was but if you want the full office suit you can get it for around £50 as a student or you can use open office if what you have isn't suitable.
Original post by HFM

I think the art soc does life drawing classes, remember reading something about it at last years soc fair.
would any existing students say it is imperative to buy freshers tickets early? the whole organisation online as a whole seems very unhelpful to me
it says to register online before the 27th August at www.uea.ac.uk but there is no way to do the new student registration thing so how do i do it? do i have to wait for an email from UEA? it says that the secret link to buy welcome week tickets will be sent to my UEA address but i havent got one yet. help?
http://www.uea.ac.uk/study/new-students/jt01082012

This link might help I guess. It says to wait for an email (I'm assuming to your UCAS email address or something similar). Give them a ring otherwise.
Original post by High As A Kite
parking on campus is seriously limited, so they strongly advise not to

Parking is an absolute no no on campus for students (they now fine you about £80... they used to say before that you'd be fined but never did, now they DO!)

Also there is nowhere to park near campus as its permit everywhere (and the one little street that isn't is ALWAY packed!)

my advise, wait till your off campus in the second year if you have to get one, or better yet get the annual bus pass (union subsidised) buses to campus are regular and run pretty much all day and night!

hope that helped?
Original post by Rapidash

during my time in norwich i've had them all, every network is pretty well catered for in norwich (its not really a 3rd world country)...but going into the country around is another story!
Original post by BlinkAVA182
would any existing students say it is imperative to buy freshers tickets early? the whole organisation online as a whole seems very unhelpful to me

yes definitley, all the freshers tickets sell out in advance. what don't you find helpful? most unis sell freshers tickets online and the reason the link to tickets is sent via uea email is because that way only freshers can buy them at first.
:cool: Seafood in Norwich/London?
I will be studying in Norwich and am wondering how (good) is the seafood in Norwich or London? Any recommended shops to go to for live/fresh seafood? (not frozen)
Also, if there are none, any recommended restaurants that serve good seafood?

Thank you!
Reply 616
Okay, who hasn't received their registration emails yet? *raises hand*
Original post by Katerzzz

Me! I've been checking my emails almost obsessively for 24 hrs now...

Original post by airanimechiic
:cool: Seafood in Norwich/London?
I will be studying in Norwich and am wondering how (good) is the seafood in Norwich or London? Any recommended shops to go to for live/fresh seafood? (not frozen)
Also, if there are none, any recommended restaurants that serve good seafood?

Thank you!

There are fish markets in various little towns surrounding the city once a week (early morning), and there's a stall at the market *in* Norwich everyday. There's loads of fish mongers dotted around the place, too. The popular fish restaurant is called Loch Fyne but it's quite pricey.
I'd recommend markets tbh, you know it's coming fresh from Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth (seaside towns 45 mins away) that morning.

Norwich is quite fishy ^_^

Original post by Katerzzz

Me neither.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending