The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Has anybody received any email with directions about what to do next and when?????? (for those who have been accepted with an unconditional offer). Does anybody know when will these be sent??????
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 581
Original post by Wi wi
Has anybody received any email with directions about what to do next and when?????? (for those who have been accepted with an unconditional offer). Does anybody know when will these be sent??????

If you are a Home/EU student, there is not much to do at this stage, as we're just wrapping up the confirmation process at the minute.

If you are an International student, I would recommend reading the information on the International Office website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/international/help/guides - specifically the Preparing for Warwick sections, as you will have more to do with regards to booking travel, arranging visas, etc.
Reply 582
Hi, are there any scholarships or bursaries available for economics students who have greatly exceeded their offer?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
we're currently waiting on our partner departments to update their reading lists for our joint degree courses, so all the material can be sent out in one document, but the below books form the reading list for the "economics" parts of the reading list (there will also be reading for philosophy, politics and international studies if you are doing a joint degree, as well as maths revision)

The starred items form the starting point for each topic. We don't require you to read everything and we expect you to be sensible and choose what matches your individual needs and interests. When the reading list is sent to you via email, and posted on the website, it will contain links to purchase the books from the Warwick Bookshop

Economics For Fun
** Mlodinow, L. 2008. The Drunkard’s Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives.**
Harford, T. 2005. The Undercover Economist.
Glaeser, E. L. 2011. Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier.

Blogs and Websites
** VOX : Research-based policy analysis and commentary from leading economists **
danariely.com : Blog of Dan Ariely, a leading researcher in Behavioural Economics
Economics One : A Blog by John B. Taylor, Professor of Economics at Stanford University
gregmankiw.blogspot.co.uk : Blog of Greg Mankiw, Professor and Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University

Micro and Behavioural Economics
** Dixit, A. and Nalebuff, B. 1993. Thinking Strategically: Competitive Edge in Business, Politics and Everyday Life **
Kahneman, D. 2012. Thinking, Fast and Slow
Kay, J. 2004. The Truth About Markets : Why Some Nations are Rich but Most Remain Poor

Macroeconomics
** Rajan, R.G. 2011. Fault Lines: How Hidden Fractures Still Threaten the World Economy **
Stiglitz, J.E. 2012. The Price of Inequality: The Avoidable Causes and Invisible Costs of Inequality
Krugman, P. 2012. End This Depression Now!

Economic History and Development
** Acemoglu, D. and Robinson, J.A. 2012. Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity and Poverty **
Collier, P. 2008. The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It
Banerjee, A. and Duflo, E. 2011. Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty
Diamond, J.M. 1998. Guns, Germs and Steel: A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years

I will be studying Morse in October so I will be studying EC106 Introduction to Quantitative Economics, what do you recommend I read for preparation.

I haven't studied A-Level Economics.
Reply 584
Original post by somaiyar
Hi, are there any scholarships or bursaries available for economics students who have greatly exceeded their offer?

Hi,
at present, there are no undergraduate scholarships specifically for Economics students, but general University student funding information can be found on the main University website - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/academicoffice/funding/
Reply 585
Original post by buttermints
I will be studying Morse in October so I will be studying EC106 Introduction to Quantitative Economics, what do you recommend I read for preparation.

I haven't studied A-Level Economics.

Hi,
you will receive specific reading list information from the Stats department, but any of the starred books on the above reading list will be a decent starting point for any Economics modules you might have to, or be interested in taking.
Hi I'm starting economics at Warwick in October and during my time at Warwick I plan to start learning Japanese from scratch with the lifelong languange learning courses in the first year. Would it then be possible to continue learning Japanese in my second year as part of my economics degree? What level of Japanese would I have to achieve in the first year in order to be able to do this? I wouldn't want to start learning a new language as part of my degree in the first year in case I didn't enjoy learning Japanese! Many thanks
Reply 587
Original post by bonana567
Hi I'm starting economics at Warwick in October and during my time at Warwick I plan to start learning Japanese from scratch with the lifelong languange learning courses in the first year. Would it then be possible to continue learning Japanese in my second year as part of my economics degree? What level of Japanese would I have to achieve in the first year in order to be able to do this? I wouldn't want to start learning a new language as part of my degree in the first year in case I didn't enjoy learning Japanese! Many thanks

Hi,
this should be possible, as you can take a language module option during your second year of study. You can view the current rules, as they stand, in the current UG handbook (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/current_version_ug_handbook.pdf) though you will receive the latest handbook when you join, as I think there may be some small changes for this year.

To be approved for a language module, you need to demonstrate progression from year to year, so we would want to see you do a level in second year which is higher than what you studied in first year.
Reply 588
Are Economics students allowed to "over-CAT" (i.e. take more modules - and consequently CATS - than the maximum limit)? I'm interested in taking EC119 (Mathematical Analysis for Economists) and EC133 (Linear Algebra for Economists) which both equal 15 CATS but I also want to take a language module so I would be reaching 174 CATS credits instead of 150 which is the limit.
Reply 589
Hi i received my confirmation of my place from ucas but haven't heard anything from warwick yet is this normal?

EDIT: Just received my welcome pack I would also like to know if there will be any teaching in the last term or do we just have to come in for exams? thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi

1) If one were to resit a year because of unfortunate extenuating circumstances, which consequently resulted in below average/poor grades, would the applicant be at a disadvantage when applying to economics?

2) Would someone with below average GCSEs be at a big disadvantage, despite having strong A-levels/predicted grades? (And a strong PS)

3) Is there a preference of subjects at A-level to do economics? For example, right now I'm fixed on Economics, Maths, French and either Politics or Biology. I plan to take Eco + Maths to A2 (dropping french) along with one of the other two. Would taking Biology over Politics be preferred? Especially with the aforementioned extenuating circumstances from last year. (I'd assume you'd want better grades with respected subjects when one resits; and I've heard that Biology is more respected).

Thanks.
Reply 591
Original post by Francium
Are Economics students allowed to "over-CAT" (i.e. take more modules - and consequently CATS - than the maximum limit)? I'm interested in taking EC119 (Mathematical Analysis for Economists) and EC133 (Linear Algebra for Economists) which both equal 15 CATS but I also want to take a language module so I would be reaching 174 CATS credits instead of 150 which is the limit.

Hi,
no, Economics students are not permitted to over CAT

If you are interested in a language module outside the course, I would advise looking in to the evening classes run by the language centre
Reply 592
Original post by alnov
Hi i received my confirmation of my place from ucas but haven't heard anything from warwick yet is this normal?

EDIT: Just received my welcome pack I would also like to know if there will be any teaching in the last term or do we just have to come in for exams? thanks

Hi,

yes, there is teaching in the first 5 weeks of the third term
Reply 593
Original post by The Assassin
Hi

1) If one were to resit a year because of unfortunate extenuating circumstances, which consequently resulted in below average/poor grades, would the applicant be at a disadvantage when applying to economics?

2) Would someone with below average GCSEs be at a big disadvantage, despite having strong A-levels/predicted grades? (And a strong PS)

3) Is there a preference of subjects at A-level to do economics? For example, right now I'm fixed on Economics, Maths, French and either Politics or Biology. I plan to take Eco + Maths to A2 (dropping french) along with one of the other two. Would taking Biology over Politics be preferred? Especially with the aforementioned extenuating circumstances from last year. (I'd assume you'd want better grades with respected subjects when one resits; and I've heard that Biology is more respected).

Thanks.

Hi,

1. We take a view on resits on a case by case basis, so I would include information about extenuating circumstances in your application, or via Warwick AWARDS.

2. We prefer applicants to have a strong academic record, so take into account GCSE performance when making offer decisions. That said, the degree to which GCSE performance will affect your own application depends on the rest of the application, and hence it's not possible to give such an answer outside of the context of your individual application

3. I think there is more detailed information about subject mix in the opening FAQ posts, or in the "Notes on Application" document.
Reply 594
For information

The end of August marks the end of the undergraduate application cycle, and also the end of staff contracts at the university, so there may be a delay in replying to messages for the next few weeks whilst the transition to next year's admissions team happens, and we prepare complete information for the 2013 entry cycle.

Please be patient whilst this transition happens, and understand that we will get to your question in due course if you leave a post here

Thanks
It's kind of ironic that I averaged 99% in my A2 modules and 3/4 of my A-level modules overall, yet only have a C at AS-Level for Maths, so I can't take economics at degree level :\ oh well, maybe I'll consider EPAIS (perhaps...)
Reply 596
Hi, I've just completed my GCSEs (6 A*s 4.5As) and come from an 'Ofsted inadequate' school. How much of a factor is the school I come from when judging the GCSE grades in my application?

Reply 597
Hi,

I am currently a student in the Business School, going to my second year in October.
However, I would like to make a course transfer to BSc Economics. Do you know whether it is still possible to proceed with a change? I'm an EU student.

Thank you very much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi,
I was just wondering whether getting the Grade A in your AS subject is essential as I only got a B in chemistry. Do I have to get that A or will you look at my A2's more (I got 192/200 over my 2 AS economics papers).
Reply 599
Hi I have Results
I was wondering if i should apply to economics at warick I have grades
A* Economics (184/200) at A2
A Maths (86 C3 85 C4)
A Chemistry With a
b at AS level biology and c at as Level Critical thinking I am also doing
A full A level Further Maths in my gap Year pridicted A/A*
My Gcse
Math A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A