The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In terms of talent though, he had more than both Marshall and Sean Smith. He was the first CB on the depth chart for the past 2 and a bit seasons. I guess we're looking to the future still for picks with the next draft being aimed at helping Tannehill develop, but Davis is only 24 too so it's not a good future move really in terms of defense.
Original post by shunter7634
Did you just mention Dan Connolly? :biggrin:

In the top 5 plays ever.

I quoted you twice mate, about the fantasy football. read further up the thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Patriot
I did it last year. I'm happy to do it again, or hand over the info from last year to you via pm (If I can nab a spot in the league of course :biggrin:)

Sorry - missed this! I think we have 5 people interested just (me, you, .Theory, alexsong, BarneyMBS), so we're half way there. The problem is I can't really draft any time from Wednesday until the start of the season, but I'm happy to just get an auto-select team and go from there if we can't get 10 people to draft tomorrow night.

Again, happy to run it, but if I'm not going to the at the draft, it's probably best that someone who is runs it...
Since some of you are on about it, I'll put my name forward to participate in the fantasy league as well.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Since some of you are on about it, I'll put my name forward to participate in the fantasy league as well.

Awesome.

If I post a new thread to try and get the remaining players, and say that we're going to draft tomorrow (Tuesday) at 2100 British time, does that suit everyone? I don't want to pick a time that no-one else can make just because it's convenient for me...
Reply 4285
That times alright for me are we doing 10 teams then ? I dont wanna end up with 20 again like last year because it is too deep a league I would say 12 tops personally but its up to everyone obviously
I'm fine with that time as well.
Is there still space? I would be interested. How long does a fantasy draft usually take and what site would it be on?
Reply 4288
I have a question, I am not sure if its been asked before.
How does the league system in the NFL. Like in Football in the premier league you have a table with 3 point for a win etc.
I don't quite understand which two teams get to play at the super bowl. Is there a league system or is it a league format then knock-out stages.
Thanks
Original post by fudgesundae
Is there still space? I would be interested. How long does a fantasy draft usually take and what site would it be on?

Yep, still space (need 3 more people, I'm sure we can find them). It's run on the NFL website - you need an account (I'll give details later when I, or the Patriot, sets the league up). Draft shouldn't take more than an hour, 90 minutes tops (unless people start getting far too worried about who they're taking in the lower rounds...).

I think we'll go for 9pm tomorrow then - I'll set it up and post a load of details later - in fact, I'll probably start a new thread and link it from here.
Original post by shunter7634
Yep, still space (need 3 more people, I'm sure we can find them). It's run on the NFL website - you need an account (I'll give details later when I, or the Patriot, sets the league up). Draft shouldn't take more than an hour, 90 minutes tops (unless people start getting far too worried about who they're taking in the lower rounds...).

I think we'll go for 9pm tomorrow then - I'll set it up and post a load of details later - in fact, I'll probably start a new thread and link it from here.

Sounds good, I'm up for it.
Yo I want in. I won the league last season so you better get ready to get f'd up. :wink:
Original post by RabbitCFH
Yo I want in. I won the league last season so you better get ready to get f'd up. :wink:

Awesome - just another 2 people needed - I'll set the league up now, start a new thread for it, and PM you all the details.
Original post by jlnbello
I have a question, I am not sure if its been asked before.
How does the league system in the NFL. Like in Football in the premier league you have a table with 3 point for a win etc.
I don't quite understand which two teams get to play at the super bowl. Is there a league system or is it a league format then knock-out stages.
Thanks

The entire league is split into two conferences of 16 teams each called the AFC and the NFC (American Football Conference and the National Football Conference).

From their, each conference is broken down into four divisions (North, South, East and West). So there is an NFC North, NFC South , NFC East and NFC West, and so forth with the AFC. Which teams are in these leagues are the same every year. Presuming the league doesn't make any changes or add any teams, these divisions remain the same every year, for example the AFC East consists of my team the New England Patriots, the New York Jets, the Buffalo Bills and the Miami Dolphins and has done since the league was re-alligned in 2002.

Firstly for 17 weeks there is a league system.

Each team plays every team in their division twice a year, once at home and once away, so that's 6 games. From there a team plays 4 other teams from the same conference who share a division, (so the Patriots might play the entire AFC North (the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns) which is 4 more games (two at home and two away). They then play 4 teams from the other conference in the same division (so the Patriots might play the entire NFC East (New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins) so that's another 4 games which is 2 home and 2 away. The final two games (making it up to 16 games in total, spread over 17 weeks allowing for one rest or 'bye' week) are played against two teams in the same conference as them that finished in the same division position as them last year, but not in the divison which they played all the teams in as I put in bold. So for example, the Patriots finished 1st in the AFC East last year, and are hypothetically playing the entire AFC North, so they must play the Houston Texans (winners of AFC South) and the Denver Broncos (winners of AFC West).

Then the knockout stage begins. The AFC and the NFC have entirely separate playoffs systems until the superbowl (which acts as a final).

From there the 4 winners from each division (North, South, East and West) and the 2 teams with the best record who didn't win their division get seeded from 1-6 based on who won the most games. The first and second seed get a 'bye' round, with the 3rd seed playing the 6th at home, and the 4th playing the 5th. Naturally, the team with the higher seed gets the right to play at their home stadium meaning the number 1 seed gets 'home field advantage' because they can play every playoff game before the superbowl (which is held at a different stadium each year) at their stadium. Once the first round (called the wildcard round because the wildcards play in it) is over, they advance to the second round where the top 2 seeds are waiting, and the winners go on to the conference championship (effectively the semi-final), whereby only 2 teams remain standing in each conference, the winners of which become conference champions. Then, the AFC Champions play the NFC Champions in the Superbowl.

If that's too long, message me and I will make it shorter. Anything that is still confusing, I will explain again just ask :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Joined the league, could do with the system and rules being explained as I normally play fantasy football on NFLUK.com which has a completely different system :smile:
Original post by BarneyMBS
Joined the league, could do with the system and rules being explained as I normally play fantasy football on NFLUK.com which has a completely different system :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2101744
Reply 4296

I will try and keep it simple let me know if you need more help

Every player can only be owned once so you do a draft where you take it in turns to pick players until everyone has 16 or 17 on their squad

Each week you pick a QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE and 1 FLEX (can be any of WR/TE/RB) to start a long with a DEF (you get points for a teams defence and special teams) and a kicker to start for you and you get put up against another person from the league, whoevers team scores the most points that week gets the win

Scoring is a bit complicated but you get points for certain amounts of yardage for your offensive players (the thresholds are different though so a RB gets points per 10 years whereas for a QB is 25 yard intervals) as well as points for touchdowns and minus points for interceptions and fumbles

In the draft room the players are all pre ranked so you can use that as a rough guide to know who to pick when it is your turn

The idea is to win the most weekly match ups

Even though we are on nfl.com i would reccomend looking at espn's draft kit http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/ffldraftkit and have a look at this as well its long but should help you http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=NFLDK2K12_TMRManifesto

Tonight there will be a draft (just like the normal NFL draft) where we will pick fantasy players for our team. We each have 15 picks. 9 will be starters and 6 will be for our bench.

In this league in your starting line up you must have: 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 kicker and 1 flex player (TE, RB or WR). Now you may notice that's only 8 players. Well you also have to pick a team defence. Fantasy football gets to complicated if you pick individual defensive players, so you just pick a whole team. You then also have to pick 6 bench players. You only earn points for players in your starting lineup, but you have the bench players in case one of your starters is not playing in a particular week for whatever reason (bye week, injury etc.)

Now onto how the league works. Basically every week you will be matched up with another team in the league. Whichever of the two teams get the most points in that week gets a win. After 14 weeks of these matches the 4 teams with the best win-loss records will progress to the playoffs. In week 15, 1st will 4th and 2nd will play 3rd. Then in week 16 it's the super bowl where the winner will be crowned.

In the League Settings page it outlines how many points you get for each things (TD, INT etc).

Pretty much everything the guys said above - the scoring is very similar to NFLUK.com, but instead of picking a brand new team every week, you draft a team at the start of the season (so a player can only be owned by one team in the league). After that, you can trade players with other teams, or drop players and pick up unowned players off the waiver wire - but we'll worry about that at a later stage.
Post any more queries in the fantasy thread - see you this evening for the draft!
Reply 4299
Original post by The Patriot
The entire league is split into two conferences of 16 teams each called the AFC and the NFC (American Football Conference and the National Football Conference).

From their, each conference is broken down into four divisions (North, South, East and West). So there is an NFC North, NFC South , NFC East and NFC West, and so forth with the AFC. Which teams are in these leagues are the same every year. Presuming the league doesn't make any changes or add any teams, these divisions remain the same every year, for example the AFC East consists of my team the New England Patriots, the New York Jets, the Buffalo Bills and the Miami Dolphins and has done since the league was re-alligned in 2002.

Firstly for 17 weeks there is a league system.

Each team plays every team in their division twice a year, once at home and once away, so that's 6 games. From there a team plays 4 other teams from the same conference who share a division, (so the Patriots might play the entire AFC North (the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns) which is 4 more games (two at home and two away). They then play 4 teams from the other conference in the same division (so the Patriots might play the entire NFC East (New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins) so that's another 4 games which is 2 home and 2 away. The final two games (making it up to 16 games in total, spread over 17 weeks allowing for one rest or 'bye' week) are played against two teams in the same conference as them that finished in the same division position as them last year, but not in the divison which they played all the teams in as I put in bold. So for example, the Patriots finished 1st in the AFC East last year, and are hypothetically playing the entire AFC North, so they must play the Houston Texans (winners of AFC South) and the Denver Broncos (winners of AFC West).

Then the knockout stage begins. The AFC and the NFC have entirely separate playoffs systems until the superbowl (which acts as a final).

From there the 4 winners from each division (North, South, East and West) and the 2 teams with the best record who didn't win their division get seeded from 1-6 based on who won the most games. The first and second seed get a 'bye' round, with the 3rd seed playing the 6th at home, and the 4th playing the 5th. Naturally, the team with the higher seed gets the right to play at their home stadium meaning the number 1 seed gets 'home field advantage' because they can play every playoff game before the superbowl (which is held at a different stadium each year) at their stadium. Once the first round (called the wildcard round because the wildcards play in it) is over, they advance to the second round where the top 2 seeds are waiting, and the winners go on to the conference championship (effectively the semi-final), whereby only 2 teams remain standing in each conference, the winners of which become conference champions. Then, the AFC Champions play the NFC Champions in the Superbowl.

If that's too long, message me and I will make it shorter. Anything that is still confusing, I will explain again just ask :smile:

thanks man :smile: its a bit confusing but i think ill get a hang of it.

Latest