The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Oh, btw, aspirinpharmacist, I though you might appreciate this xD
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Katerzzz
Oh, btw, aspirinpharmacist, I though you might appreciate this xD

I really do appreciate that. :love: It's hilarious.
I'm relieved that some other people haven't had their registration emails. I was wondering, has anyone else ordered their NUS card and had it delivered to the university because they won't deliver anywhere else? How do we get hold of them... Do we have to go to the uni before term starts? I was hoping to get some use out of mine before I go to buy some of the bits I need before I go.

Pretty useless that NUS will only post it to the uni which I won't get to until the end of September AFTER I have to buy anything I might need for uni. I remember reading this somewhere else but I can't find it now.
Original post by emmakh123
it says to register online before the 27th August at www.uea.ac.uk but there is no way to do the new student registration thing so how do i do it? do i have to wait for an email from UEA? it says that the secret link to buy welcome week tickets will be sent to my UEA address but i havent got one yet. help?

You should get an email sometime soon through the email you gave UCAS/UEA which will give you a link to register on eVision. Note you'll need to have a picture of yourself handy, which you upload and it'll be put onto your campus card. Once you've completed your online registration you'll be given a UEA email address and will be able to log in via the Portal/(blackboard) with your login details to see the welcome week email. But that email isn't automatically sent once you've registered, it'll be sent sometime soon.
Original post by SuperCat007
I'm relieved that some other people haven't had their registration emails. I was wondering, has anyone else ordered their NUS card and had it delivered to the university because they won't deliver anywhere else? How do we get hold of them... Do we have to go to the uni before term starts? I was hoping to get some use out of mine before I go to buy some of the bits I need before I go.

Pretty useless that NUS will only post it to the uni which I won't get to until the end of September AFTER I have to buy anything I might need for uni. I remember reading this somewhere else but I can't find it now.

If I remember correctly they're sent out school specific as in a thread last year those who were in the same course/school got theirs around the same time. As for the NUS card you collect them at the box office (same place as the travel shop) as soon as you're there. If you're buying things in shops and had a student ID at your sixth form/college you can use those to get discounts at most places unless they ask for an NUS card specifically. Or you could leave the non-essentials until you get here to buy them with your NUS card?
Original post by makingamemory
If I remember correctly they're sent out school specific as in a thread last year those who were in the same course/school got theirs around the same time. As for the NUS card you collect them at the box office (same place as the travel shop) as soon as you're there. If you're buying things in shops and had a student ID at your sixth form/college you can use those to get discounts at most places unless they ask for an NUS card specifically. Or you could leave the non-essentials until you get here to buy them with your NUS card?

I'm way too old for 6th form; and my previous one has run out! Hence why I applied for a new one. Maybe I'll phone them and see if they'll send it or I can collect it before the date. The thing is, is that I really want to be prepared. Last time I did this I wasn't very prepared and thought I'll get stuff when I'm there but I ended up spending WAY too much money and it took me ages to settle in. I hope that makes sense, I'd just rather know I'm prepared before I go.

You said about registering on evision. I'm not sure if I've got that email yet, but I have chosen my modules. I guess I'll just try registering on evision and see what happens. Any clues to what the email might say/be??

Help for the idiot 'mature student' please!
Oh wait, it's all good. My director of studies last week said that I should receive an email this week about registering online! Panic over, now I just have to wait for the email.
I'm way too old for 6th form; and my previous one has run out! Hence why I applied for a new one. Maybe I'll phone them and see if they'll send it or I can collect it before the date. The thing is, is that I really want to be prepared. Last time I did this I wasn't very prepared and thought I'll get stuff when I'm there but I ended up spending WAY too much money and it took me ages to settle in. I hope that makes sense, I'd just rather know I'm prepared before I go.

You said about registering on evision. I'm not sure if I've got that email yet, but I have chosen my modules. I guess I'll just try registering on evision and see what happens. Any clues to what the email might say/be??

Help for the idiot 'mature student' please!

Sorry just assumed you'd finished your A levels etc. I'm sure the box office is fine with you collecting it earlier, although you'll probably need some form of ID on you and it'd probably be best to take your confirmation letter too as you won't have your campus card yet. I think they go to the uni to prove that you're a student there, because I remember at 6th form on the paper forms you needed the schools stamp as proof that you were a student. Yeah it makes sense, it's one less thing to worry about :tongue:

You will get a special link through the email, so you won't be able to register beforehand. Because looking at the email I got last year it's specific to the person registering as it has your registration number within the link. I got mine right at the end of august, you just have to wait for the computer to send yours. I would post what it says but it may have changed since last year. But you'll definitely need to provide an image of yourself to go onto your campus card. Oh and make sure you check your spam/junk folder as mine went there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry just assumed you'd finished your A levels etc. I'm sure the box office is fine with you collecting it earlier, although you'll probably need some form of ID on you and it'd probably be best to take your confirmation letter too as you won't have your campus card yet. I think they go to the uni to prove that you're a student there, because I remember at 6th form on the paper forms you needed the schools stamp as proof that you were a student. Yeah it makes sense, it's one less thing to worry about :tongue:

You will get a special link through the email, so you won't be able to register beforehand. Because looking at the email I got last year it's specific to the person registering as it has your registration number within the link. I got mine right at the end of august, you just have to wait for the computer to send yours. I would post what it says but it may have changed since last year. But you'll definitely need to provide an image of yourself to go onto your campus card. Oh and make sure you check your spam/junk folder as mine went there.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully it'll be sent in the next couple of days. As long as it isn't sent whilst I'm at work because I may need to run home and register in my excitement! I'm told that kind of thing is frowned upon in workplaces! :wink:
Do you get your student loans after you register online or when you register at the uni?
Original post by michael12
Do you get your student loans after you register online or when you register at the uni?

3-4 days after you have registered in person at the university
Original post by Rapidash
Can someone help? I'm starting at the UEA (Psychology) this September and have no idea what I need computer-wise: Do I need Microsoft Office? I have a Sony Vaio laptop with a Word Starter thing that I can write on- is this enough? Do I need the rest of Office, or proper Word? Office is expensive so I don't want to buy it if I don't need it, but obviously I'll get it if I do. The downside to the starter Word is that it has no word count option- will this be a problem for essays etc, or can I transfer my documents to UEA computers with word count if I need that? Help!

Sorry, this is a few pages back but I thought I might be able to help.

The only thing you'll need is a laptop able to run SPSS on (which you'll be told you have to buy in the first week of term - I think it's about £12 for a student copy, you buy it from the library and only have to buy it once). SPSS is the statistics programme you'll use throughout your course, and as long as your laptop can run it, it should be OK.

In terms of Office, I would suggest you get the proper version of Word. I can imagine the word count thing would get annoying, especially when there's an hour left 'till the deadline and you've got 500 words to cut out (not that it's ever happened to me or anything...). Also, because you'll get marks deducted on reports that don't adhere to strict APA formatting, you'll need to have a version that has the tools that enables you to make tables, format pictures, create cover pages etc. Of course, you can just use the library computers, but I can imagine it being a pain to not be able to finish and hand in a piece of work from your own laptop. You will also need PowerPoint. Also, in deadline week it's near impossible to get a computer in the library if you need to use one to finish up your essays. It's up to you, of course, but if it were me I'd part with the cash. I'm sure you can get student deals on them, which might take the price down somewhat.
For those asking about registration emails, I saw someone on the Britten House Facebook group who said that they had emailed the University asking about it and they were having technical difficulties with their systems (again...) and that was why the emails were delayed.

While we're asking questions on the UEA Question Thread, when do we get access to our UEA emaill accounts? Is that done with the online pre-registration or the registration in person?
Reply 633
Thank you! I thought that not having all the features of Word might be a problem- thing is, my dad's getting me it so he wanted to make sure I needed it so we don't go buying loads of unnecessary stuff (like at the beginning of my secondary school and sixth form). My stepsister has to buy it too so we'll get it a bit cheaper if we buy it together.
Reply 634
I still haven't got my registration email :frown: How about anyone else?

Does the picture have to be a passport style one?

EDIT: Btw everyone I just received my registration email so they must be sending them out now (:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for your help. Hopefully it'll be sent in the next couple of days. As long as it isn't sent whilst I'm at work because I may need to run home and register in my excitement! I'm told that kind of thing is frowned upon in workplaces! :wink:

haha well it only takes like 10mins to do the main bits you could sneakily do that until you get home :wink:

Original post by mobius323
For those asking about registration emails, I saw someone on the Britten House Facebook group who said that they had emailed the University asking about it and they were having technical difficulties with their systems (again...) and that was why the emails were delayed.

While we're asking questions on the UEA Question Thread, when do we get access to our UEA emaill accounts? Is that done with the online pre-registration or the registration in person?

IT always seems to have problems right when the systems needed. :tongue:
You'll get your UEA account once you've completed your online registration.

Original post by emmakh123
Does the picture have to be a passport style one?

EDIT: Btw everyone I just received my registration email so they must be sending them out now (:

I think so, it'll mention the rules before you upload the photo.
Original post by Rapidash
Thank you! I thought that not having all the features of Word might be a problem- thing is, my dad's getting me it so he wanted to make sure I needed it so we don't go buying loads of unnecessary stuff (like at the beginning of my secondary school and sixth form). My stepsister has to buy it too so we'll get it a bit cheaper if we buy it together.

if you use your uea email address you can get a 2 computer licence for £80 here http://www.software4students.co.uk/products/microsoft-office-2010-professional-plus?gclid=CPvu-ueVkrICFUQj3godbnoASw
Originally Posted by SuperCat007
Thanks for your help. Hopefully it'll be sent in the next couple of days. As long as it isn't sent whilst I'm at work because I may need to run home and register in my excitement! I'm told that kind of thing is frowned upon in workplaces!

haha well it only takes like 10mins to do the main bits you could sneakily do that until you get home

It didn't arrive! Gutted, maybe it's automated and will arrive today... Sadly I live about 17 miles from work so it would take all day to run there and back. Hence I think it may be frowned upon, it is a laboratory though so maybe I could conduct an investigation to find the level of 'frowned upon-ness' and present it to them when they decide to fire me!
Can anyone help me with the online registration?

With the term time questions on the registration it lists my term time as my home details but it then says UEA accomidation system will add it???

Then it asks me about my term time address where i can be contacted but doesnt have one for halls? Should i just put my parents house as they'll contact me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending