The Student Room Group

Medical schools that are more open to/have more room for international (US) students

I am a 16-year-old high school junior from the US interested in attending a British medical school.
I have conducted lengthy research into the matter and discovered the entry requirements of the US students often include about 4 AP (including chemistry and biology) tests with scores of 5 and SAT scores of 600/650 in Math and English. Both of these requirements I will be able to meet with substantial preparation (I may have trouble with the AP's, mainly bio which I love but is harder than the chem AP, but on practice tests I did far better than reqs - 650 cr, 650 wr, and 800 math). They also like to see community service/health related expirience that after a summer at a local clinic I will have.
The schools often offered sections for international students, but none said how many are attending, nor what percent of international applicants get in.
The only thing some mentioned were that they liked taking applicants from nations without good medical training, which would be a disadvantage as the US has very very good medical schools.
Thus I would appreciate reading which schools are more open to/have more room for international (particularly US) students.
Also note that I would enjoy going to an urban/urban adjacent campus, possibly pretty/picturesque, and if possible in a liberal area like London, Manchester, or Brighton. But with the small number of UK medical schools I know finding a school that I both have a good chance of getting into and is in an area I like will be hard if not impossible.
Thanks everyone who answers, I will enjoy reading your replies on the more international/US friendly schools.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know its not a big help, but not Oxford. Last year, 231 applicants, 2 offers.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'liberalness' of a city tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Look at St George's University of London. Lots of international students.
Also, if you are thinking about going back to US after your studies, St. George's has special program for American students where you can do clinicals in US.

The only thing, St. Georges is not very picturesque... Medical School is a wing of a modern hospital. But, it's London!
Reply 3
Not Scotland. In general the Scottish schools have only a handful of places for international students.
Reply 4
Original post by Zedd
Not Scotland. In general the Scottish schools have only a handful of places for international students.

They're pretty much all reserved for Malaysians anyway! IIRC.
Reply 5
My year at St Andrews had loads of international students.
Reply 6
Original post by L.O.V.E.
They're pretty much all reserved for Malaysians anyway! IIRC.

Haha out of curiosity, are you malaysian? :tongue:
Reply 7
Look at St Andrews, they had/ may still have something specifically tailored to US/Canada. Check out the website
Reply 8
Original post by Iz08
Also, if you are thinking about going back to US after your studies, St. George's has special program for American students where you can do clinicals in US.

The only thing, St. Georges is not very picturesque... Medical School is a wing of a modern hospital. But, it's London!

Thank you I will look into St. Georges more. And even if its not the prettiest, I guess being in the culture center of the world would be a very good compromise
Reply 9
Original post by leemkule
My year at St Andrews had loads of international students.

Ok I'll look into it more; I read it has a pretty campus too. It would be an honor to be accepted at any of these schools, but I might prefer a larger urban area. Since you're going there, I trust you love it?
Reply 10
Original post by Anna1988
Look at St Andrews, they had/ may still have something specifically tailored to US/Canada. Check out the website

Okay thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by Apollo007
Okay thanks!

Pretty sure what Anna is talking about is Canadian specific though...

Edinburgh won't consider you:
"Entry directly from high school will not normally be considered."
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/north-america/usa/hs-qualifications

Dundee won't consider you:
"As a general rule applicants presenting qualifications from countries other than the UK or Ireland are expected to have attained these at a level sufficient for entry to medical school in their home country."
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine.htm

I can't find anything about US qualifications on the University of Glasgow website... (if someone can find it let Apollo know)

Based on their online prospectus St. Andrews and Aberdeen will consider you however Aberdeen only has 16 international places.
Reply 12
I've also heard of something called the Atlantic Bridge program for Irish universities eg. RCSI, UCD and so on... Again you should look this up as I've only come across it in passing and don't know details so find out if it's for US or Canada or both and also whether it applies to the 5 or 4 year programmes
Reply 13
Original post by Anna1988
I've also heard of something called the Atlantic Bridge program for Irish universities eg. RCSI, UCD and so on... Again you should look this up as I've only come across it in passing and don't know details so find out if it's for US or Canada or both and also whether it applies to the 5 or 4 year programmes

I've also heard something about this and as far as I remember from '09 (when I was looking into Ireland) it is a popular route for entering medical practice in the US.
As far as I know, Nottingham has something like two north American students (Everyone I've met is Canadian but I wouldn't like to say that was the rule) per year. We have a fair few more internationals, though, mainly Malaysians and Thai students from what I can tell. The Thai students are on a special programme where they do pre-clinical here then go home to do the clinical years.
Reply 15
Original post by Zedd
I've also heard something about this and as far as I remember from '09 (when I was looking into Ireland) it is a popular route for entering medical practice in the US.

Especially since some of these Irish universities have good connections with American schools making getting a spot for electives easier
Reply 16
Good luck with that.... I've read that kings college London has pretty good opportunities for international students.... But you will be in for a shock when you enter the British system... I spent last year at a US high school (junior) and know for a fact that the gcse and a-level subject matter is much more advanced and challenging than SAT, honors and AP work!!! Came back to UK to do my a levels this year,.....I advise you to really think about such a decision and to prepare yourself for a hard course here in the UK!
Reply 17
Original post by Apollo007
Ok I'll look into it more; I read it has a pretty campus too. It would be an honor to be accepted at any of these schools, but I might prefer a larger urban area. Since you're going there, I trust you love it?

I have now finished at St Andrews and am moving onto clinical years at Glasgow University. However, St Andrews was great. I'm not sure if I'd have picked it given the choice but it was the only medical school I was accepted to so I was delighted to go there. Turns out it was great. The place is quiet but you get used to that and it does have it's advantages. Can't compliment the medical school enough though. The teaching is top notch. If you have the chance to go there don't cross it off your list, I couldn't recommend it enough. If you have any questions about the medical school I'd be more than happy to answer them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Iz08

Thank you very much St. Georges had an interesting 'INTO' international medicine program, that would even prepare me for the USMLE's if I one day decided to return back to America. :smile:
Every med school in the UK is subject to the 7.5% quota limit on internationals, but I really doubt they would discriminate against a US student compared to someone from somewhere less developed, since everyone applying will have to be well off financially anyway. I sincerely doubt that the admissions offices think that someone from the developing world will go back after forking out more than 120k during their medical degree. The internationals I met on my course certainly weren't from the developing world.

I honestly do not see why you would want to leave the US. You might save (up to) 3 years of education, but your earning potential will be lower and you will have spent about the same amount by the end of the degree.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending