The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Clinical Sciences at the University of Bradford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Epsilon1234
hi it depends on your grades u need to chek the ucas tariff points as these wil b subject to change every year.

it is about meeting the entry requirements..theres no real specific thing...but the application apparently is competitive because so many people want to hav it as a abckup route for medicine or do not have the grades in teh first place for medicine so my only advice is do the best you can....sorry its not that good advice but its true they are more bothered about the entry requirements as a whole rather than one thing....oh and i think you have to be a uk national student...but chek that!

thanks take care

good luck

Hi, just wondered whether you stood a good chance with 220 points (so just about the 200) and a good PS or are the people applying for the foundation more likely to have ucas points in the range of 260?

Thanks
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by Shah12
thank you so much!! i already feel like i wont get the grades and it will be difficult. i have work experience in different places such as, hospital, pharmacy, nursing home and im going to start volunteering in a nursery now. do u think its hard to get the 70% in first year?? thanks

extremely late i apologise

i think both year 0 and year 1 are NOT hard but theyre is just a MASSIVE volume particularly in year 1...and i think it was a little bit difficult from what i can recall only because our exams were literally one daya fter the next. to which we all complained but the clinical sciences department reponse was : "well thats what its like in medicine.."....but yeah just keep ur ehad down and hopefuly itl b alright...its not about who is cleverer anymore its more about who is willing to put the time and effort in!

take care sory extremly late i been really busy with studies myself :[

good luck
Original post by TheHeart
Hi, just wondered whether you stood a good chance with 220 points (so just about the 200) and a good PS or are the people applying for the foundation more likely to have ucas points in the range of 260?

Thanks

hi there hope you are well and good.
i cant recall what my ucas points were and im not really sure how to convert the grade boundaries but needless to say i got a bcc at alevels...but there was a wide range of students with differnt grades ranging from straight A's to bcc or ccc at my time ...BUT remmebr with the arival of the new Astar grade this might mean that teh value of grades has changed slighty...so i cant reallya nswer your question i think you need to ring up the clinical sciences office and jsut ask they get phonecalls from prospecting students regularly so its not a problem... but needless to say if you fit their entry criteria then what grades you got previously in gcses and alevels after that DOES NOT MATTER whether they were good or bad.

sorry i couldnt have been of more hlep but yeah do ring..

take care good luck
Reply 43
extremely late i apologise

i think both year 0 and year 1 are NOT hard but theyre is just a MASSIVE volume particularly in year 1...and i think it was a little bit difficult from what i can recall only because our exams were literally one daya fter the next. to which we all complained but the clinical sciences department reponse was : "well thats what its like in medicine.."....but yeah just keep ur ehad down and hopefuly itl b alright...its not about who is cleverer anymore its more about who is willing to put the time and effort in!

take care sory extremly late i been really busy with studies myself :[

good luck

awww good luck with your studies. just had exams but they were 6days apart and thanks for the advice and i agree the volume is huge!

take care :biggrin:
Hi, i have read your post and it has made me soo much more confident and happy. I would like to ask you about the foundation clinical course in Bradfrod. I dont have A's in my GCSE'S and what grades will i need in my A-levels? Is it a guarantee that if i get into this course and do well i will be able to do medicine at Leeds University. I am really dertermined and i would do anything to get into medicine. Please help me as i really feel defeated at the moment.

Thanks.
Hey everyone I thought I should create a thread regarding the clinical sciences course in the University of Bradford because I have noticed there aren't any.

When I was applying I had a lot of questions about the whole transfer scheme to medicine and what my chances were and I would have really appreciated it if I could speak to someone regarding the whole process. I came in through the foundation year and was selected for interview at the Leeds school of medicine but unfortunately I was rejected...I knew that medicine was what I really wanted to do so I stayed on to the final year - and thankfully I finally got a place in medicine.

So yeah if you have any questions, want any advice about the course or city etcetera then feel free to ask...I will try my best to answer as realistically and as best as I can.

If you want to do medicine but you didn't quite get the grades like me in GCSEs and A levels but you feel as though you are more than capable then there's still a chance believe me my academic history is really poor and not typical of your average medical applicant.

I don't profess to be the best person at doing this sort of thing, in fact I have never done it before, but I had always said that if ever I got into medicine I would do my best to try and help those others who were desperately struggling.

Thank you and GOOD LUCK :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi, i have read your post and it has made me soo much more confident and happy. I would like to ask you about the foundation clinical course in Bradfrod. I dont have A's in my GCSE'S and what grades will i need in my A-levels? Is it a guarantee that if i get into this course and do well i will be able to do medicine at Leeds University. I am really dertermined and i would do anything to get into medicine. Please help me as i really feel defeated at the moment.

Thanks.
Original post by Shah12
awww good luck with your studies. just had exams but they were 6days apart and thanks for the advice and i agree the volume is huge!

take care :biggrin:

thank you and thats great to hear hope you are getting on well :biggrin:
Original post by sarah smith

Thanks.

hello there i am glad to hear that this thread has helped someone in some way :biggrin::biggrin:!!

I amcurrently unaware of what the entry requirements are for this year but if you look on the website then these should become apparent and if not just ring up the clinical sciencesoffice...askto speak to dr hepworth she is really friendly and will give you anhoenst opinion. Nonetheless if you are accepted into clinical sciencesthen your old academic history is disregarded completely...your applicaiton to medicine in leeds either through the foundation or first year will be solely based on your personal statment your interview performacne [if selected] and on the basis that you get 70% and 60% in yr 0 or yr 1, respectively. i myself did not have any grades that are typical of the usual medical candidate. Oh and no the place to medicine is NOT guaranteed it depends on your performance in the whoel application process...your place in medicine is dependant on

>the 60%[yr1]70% [yr0] minimum achievement [yr0 have to obtain 70% in chemistry modules also!]
>your work experience
>your personal statement
>your interview performance

take care, good luck
Hello hope you are all well and good.

i am getting quite alot of emails and questions about stuff that has already been asked perviously in the thread or is available on the website. obviously i want to try and help anyone that needs it BUT my own schedule is becoming increasingly busier so please to save time can you all havea quick look to see if your questions has been answered already. i will try to get back to people as soon as possible.

Also you must recognise that my advice may be slightly outdated now as such please bare this in mind and seek more confirmatory advice from the offical webiste or the office itself.

thanking you
hello there i am glad to hear that this thread has helped someone in some way :biggrin::biggrin:!!

I amcurrently unaware of what the entry requirements are for this year but if you look on the website then these should become apparent and if not just ring up the clinical sciencesoffice...askto speak to dr hepworth she is really friendly and will give you anhoenst opinion. Nonetheless if you are accepted into clinical sciencesthen your old academic history is disregarded completely...your applicaiton to medicine in leeds either through the foundation or first year will be solely based on your personal statment your interview performacne [if selected] and on the basis that you get 70% and 60% in yr 0 or yr 1, respectively. i myself did not have any grades that are typical of the usual medical candidate. Oh and no the place to medicine is NOT guaranteed it depends on your performance in the whoel application process...your place in medicine is dependant on

>the 60%[yr1]70% [yr0] minimum achievement [yr0 have to obtain 70% in chemistry modules also!]
>your work experience
>your personal statement
>your interview performance

take care, good luck

Thanks sooo much i really appreciate your help!!
Hi Epsilon, I'm currently on Year 2 of ClinSci and just curious about what grade you ultimately achieved if you don't mind my asking as I'm looking to apply for postgrad medicine after Year 3 but am unsure whether a 2:1 will suffice. I'm also unsure whether 4 year postgrad or 5 year undergrad is my best bet, especially in light of the increased uni fees. I was just hoping you could shed some light on the application process you went through and what was assessed etc... I'm sorry for taking up your time but any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Hello,
I hope someone will be able to help me. I am currently on a foundation course clinical sciences with the aim of getting into into Leeds Medical School. My questions are:
1) If I apply this year and my score is 70 or above, if I am lucky enough to get an interview but am rejected, can I apply next year after doing the first year clinical sciences - would Leeds still look at me?

2) I feel that I have not done too great in my Chemistry this year, but feel the other areas are strong - would it still be worth me applying to Leeds? or should I apply next year after doing the first year clinical sciences?

I read that Epsilon1234 you were rejected first time but you were still able to apply again - how many times can you apply to Leeds would they still consider you if they rejected you first time?

I hope someone will come back to me with some advice/help as at the moment I am very confused.
I look forward to hearing your replies.
Many thanks.
Reply 52
Hi I applied to the clinical sciences course in case I never got into medicine this year. I have good GCSE results (6a*, 6a's) and I'm predicted to get at 3 a's in my a levels, however I never received any medicine offers. I was just wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to take a gap year and apply to medicine again next year or to do the clinical sciences course which I got an offer for (not the foundation one) in hope to get on to the 2nd year of Leeds after a year? I know the chances of getting onto the Leeds transfer is about 50% which is really good but that also means 50% of people who apply don't get in either :/ so I don't know if it would be better for me to try for medicine again one more time? :/
Reply 53
hi
Im currently studying alevels and i have a huge interest in studying pharmacy or even medicine once i leave and the only possible way for me is to do the foundation clinical sciences course at first then a transfer , what i wanted to know is as i am doing applied science extended diploma and an alevel at the moment, will it be possible for me to do the course or am i required to do another subject, i have cecked the website to find out however it said i am required to do two alevel subjects both at a grdae C????? Could you please let me know if it is possible to do the course?
Original post by Billyboy02
Hi Epsilon, I'm currently on Year 2 of ClinSci and just curious about what grade you ultimately achieved if you don't mind my asking as I'm looking to apply for postgrad medicine after Year 3 but am unsure whether a 2:1 will suffice. I'm also unsure whether 4 year postgrad or 5 year undergrad is my best bet, especially in light of the increased uni fees. I was just hoping you could shed some light on the application process you went through and what was assessed etc... I'm sorry for taking up your time but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

APOLOGIES VERY LATE

a 2.1 is more than sufficient to apply for medicine...HOWEVER just b aware that you need to get as high a 2.1 as possible as some medical schools are now being quite stringent with the results...for example they will have a cut off for any one that has less than 65%. so my advice really just do the best you can do.
you need to get the good grade to get your foot in the door...and then you need to write a good personal statement lad and choose a medical school not based so much on preference BUT more on where you think you have the HIGHEST chance...obviously if you have had consistently high grades throughout you will have more freedom in choosing medical schools. DO the best you can do.
i hope that helps ...

take care
good luck
Original post by Bert22
Hello,
I hope someone will be able to help me. I am currently on a foundation course clinical sciences with the aim of getting into into Leeds Medical School. My questions are:
1) If I apply this year and my score is 70 or above, if I am lucky enough to get an interview but am rejected, can I apply next year after doing the first year clinical sciences - would Leeds still look at me?

2) I feel that I have not done too great in my Chemistry this year, but feel the other areas are strong - would it still be worth me applying to Leeds? or should I apply next year after doing the first year clinical sciences?

I read that Epsilon1234 you were rejected first time but you were still able to apply again - how many times can you apply to Leeds would they still consider you if they rejected you first time?

I hope someone will come back to me with some advice/help as at the moment I am very confused.
I look forward to hearing your replies.
Many thanks.

[QUOTE]

APologies very late

1) im not sure of the ruling now to be honest with you...but when i was doing the foundaiton year in clinical sciences ...and when i got rejected after my leeds medical school interview...i was then NOT allowed to apply in year one...hence why i had to decide whether i wanted to carry on with clinical sciences to eventually do medicine or IF i wanted to just quit and do another course... i settled on the fact that i did not want to regret it after and so opted to do the whole degree and try one last time. However, i have heard from some people that this policy has changed and that they now allow you to apply even after a failed interview in the foundaiton year..BUT you need to ask this...ask Dr hepworth she can help you.

2) when i was applying without a distinciton in chemistry (70%) you were not allowed to apply at all to medicine regardelss of your overall grade. i beleive that this may still be the case but as i said my knowledge on course criteria is a bit out of date now...

3)i applied to medicine three times in total...once in year 0 as a transfer hopeful to leeds...and then futilely in year one clinical sciences on the sly...i was rejected as they recommended i complete the degree i had started and i didnt have the best of alevels... and then finally as a postgraduate...the applciation process went quite well as i was predicted a first...the grades obviously really help your position.do the best you can do..hope that helps

take care good luck :smile:
Original post by ankita2011
Hi I applied to the clinical sciences course in case I never got into medicine this year. I have good GCSE results (6a*, 6a's) and I'm predicted to get at 3 a's in my a levels, however I never received any medicine offers. I was just wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to take a gap year and apply to medicine again next year or to do the clinical sciences course which I got an offer for (not the foundation one) in hope to get on to the 2nd year of Leeds after a year? I know the chances of getting onto the Leeds transfer is about 50% which is really good but that also means 50% of people who apply don't get in either :/ so I don't know if it would be better for me to try for medicine again one more time? :/

hello there firstly well done on the grades.
i realise i have probably responded too late to youre question and for that i apologise...but regardless
im afraid this is a decision only you can make..i know people that have been successful in applyin to medicine after a gpa year and then obviously after doing the course itself... either option is a risk in itself...sorry for the unhelpful response.

take care good luck :biggrin:
Original post by arfaa11
hi
Im currently studying alevels and i have a huge interest in studying pharmacy or even medicine once i leave and the only possible way for me is to do the foundation clinical sciences course at first then a transfer , what i wanted to know is as i am doing applied science extended diploma and an alevel at the moment, will it be possible for me to do the course or am i required to do another subject, i have cecked the website to find out however it said i am required to do two alevel subjects both at a grdae C????? Could you please let me know if it is possible to do the course?

hello...to me it sounds like you may need to gain sum further qualifications...the university sets entry requirements that HAVE to be met...i dont think exceptions are really made..and to be honest..you may struggle without the minimum set entry requirements...however speak to the university and they can give you a definitive answer...take care and good luck to you :smile:
This course was supposed to be my back up with the view of getting to leeds uni in the 2nd year but i got an email last week saying my app has been unsuccessful for the three year course even though I'm predicted A*AA and b at as but I was offered alternative degrees I could do in Bradford. Could this because they are looking for student that might not be strong enough candidates for medical school or could it have something to do with my personal statement? :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 59
Hey, I just applied here (foundation in clinical sciences) as a fifth option as I didn't really have another fifth option I actually wanted to do (I'm applying to science foundation years). I'm not at all hopeful, as although my personal statement mentions that I want to go into healthcare, it doesn't say medicine and it's only a few sentences, it's focused on general science foundation years. Nor am I made for medicine (I only have scheduled work experience, not work experience I've done yet, and my grades aren't medicine worthy at all (I'm predicted BBD although I'm probably going to get BBB), and as this is a last minute thing preparing for a medicine-related interview is going to be hectic and I'm probably going to be absolutely slaughtered at interview. I just wondered how horrible the interview would be for me, if I get offered one at all? I imagine it's going to be very difficult without work experience! Although this is my fifth option, looking at the course I'd be incredibly stoked to get accepted (although I'm being realistic - I'm probably not going to be!) and would seriously consider going here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending