The Student Room Group

btec, easier then a levels or not

i would like to know if btec level 3 are easier then alevels and how easy ?

Scroll to see replies

lol what'd you think o_O
Reply 2
I wouldn't say they are easier than A levels, they're just easier to pass. If you do the work properly and well there is no way you can't get what grade you want. With A levels you can know the whole curriculum and get As in mocks but then have a bad real exam and fail. With BTECs you can check your progress and ensure your work good enough to get distinctions.
I'm not badmouthing Btecs but the fact there are no exams to revise for is the major factor in which Btecs are easier. With coursework and ongoing assesment you have multiple chances to improve your grade.
Reply 4
Did a BTEC in Music and Music Technology and certainly easier than an A level in Music, even easier than GCSE's in some cases. In general I assume they are easier but I don't know about many others than what i've done.
Reply 5
Since the requirements to do a BTEC is lower than to do A levels I would say that they are easier
BTECs are great if you want to spend most of your time doing something else.
Reply 7
There' alot of work than you need to keep on top of, but there's no exams to revise for so for some people that's better.
Not bad mouthing BTECs but yes they are. The fact that many universities don't substitute them for A levels kinda speak for themselves :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by >Untitled<
Not bad mouthing BTECs but yes they are. The fact that many universities don't substitute them for A levels kinda speak for themselves :yep:

Except these outside the top 20 do? Not that many by my count at all, especially when looking at the bigger picture.
Original post by Zurvan
Except these outside the top 20 do? Not that many by my count at all, especially when looking at the bigger picture.

Come on, you can't actually say BTECs are harder?
Reply 11
good luck getting into a top 20 uni with a BTEC.
Reply 12
A- levels are harder to obtain than BTECS, as having a bad exam can ruin your grade where as in level 3 btecs, your progress can be continually monitored and checked.
Reply 13
Come on, you can't actually say BTECs are harder?

Except I didn't even remotely talk about the difficulty? :facepalm2:

Whenever it is harder or not is extremely subjective, these who don't do well or prefer coursework over exams will clearly find it more "harder" but in general its considered easier.
Original post by Zurvan
Except I didn't even remotely talk about the difficulty? :facepalm2:

Whenever it is harder or not is extremely subjective, these who don't do well or prefer coursework over exams will clearly find it more "harder" but in general its considered easier.

HAHAHA
Original post by blahblahblah1
I'm not badmouthing Btecs but the fact there are no exams to revise for is the major factor in which Btecs are easier. With coursework and ongoing assesment you have multiple chances to improve your grade.

Not always. At my college, if you don't get distinction on the first attempt you can't try again (unless it was for a small simple thing missing), and if you submit late the max you can get is a pass.
As one of the few people who have experience studying both qualification I am in a much better position to make these kind of statements than anyone who has just studied one.

The problem is that some places will spoon feed their students and allow them as many drafts that they want to get up to a better grade. This is why universities will favour A-level students because they know all of them will have sat their exams externally.

In my experience though, a properly taught and assessed BTEC course will prepare a student for university much better than an A-level will. The problem may be the content however and the fact you don't need to know it by heart.

Yes they are easier in the sense that you never have to revise. You will have to do the work as it is given to you though. If you let your coursework pile up and don't do any work during term (despite paying attention in class) then you will find it harder to get a Pass than EEE in your A-levels.

No they are not easier because unlike A-levels which require endless hours of revision in 'short' (compared to the length of a school year) stints approaching and during the exam season, BTEC students will be up all night doing endless hours of coursework throughout the year.

Observe:

Alevel-btec.png
As you can see the BTEC student will have a steady work load throughout the year. The A-level student in comparison will have huge spikes in workload during the exam period.

Note:

The numbers are Hours doing coursework or hours revising each day.

This is not including class time or homework or learning new material. For A-levels:

only includes the time spent revising material that have already been covered. This means explains why the spike in January is smaller than that in May/June because it is harder to revise during the day as you will be in class learning the content for the summer exam.

For BTEC:

it only includes time spent on first or final drafts, not learning the content. No BTEC student will do 4hrs a day. But on average a DDD student probably would. There will be say 1 week of having no deadlines therefore 0hrs accumulated followed by a week of 6 deadlines which could add up to 8hrs a day easily.

In my experience it is better to do A-levels. If you put in the work the same amount of hours that a BTEC student does during the year (plus the spike in exam times) you will easily get the grades you want. BTECs, being looked down upon my most universities can hinder your application.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
If you prefer essay work and course work then betec's are easier, however if your good at revising and exams then alevels are. It all depends on the individual :u:
Reply 18
Original post by bo'diddley
good luck getting into a top 20 uni with a BTEC.

Original post by Zurvan

You'd find that 11 of the top 20 accept BTEC National Diplomas. The others out of that 20..... I dunno

Original post by nju
Since the requirements to do a BTEC is lower than to do A levels I would say that they are easier

Actually BTEC Extended diplomas and A Levels have the same entry requirements

Actually most universities DO substitute them. If you look properly at entry requirements you'll notice this as I have.
Coming from experience - BTECs are definitely easier. I managed to get all distinctions and got into Uni, but have deferred my entry in order to take up an A Level in a year, as well as doing an evening class of an AS during my BTEC, as I felt a bit guilty. But in saying that, it's helped me decide what I want to do and a lot of work was put in. Specifically if you are doing the sciences, you do more experiments related to university than you would if you did A Levels, and writing reports is practiced religiously. So it has it's plus points!

BTECs aren't regarded as highly as A Levels, but they can still get you into Uni - make sure it's Extended Diploma.It might be a good idea to supplement with at least 1 A Level/AS Level in order to still develop your revision skills along with coursework.

Also, you shouldn't really do something because it's easy. Do something you enjoy - maybe something that gives you a challenge (though there is the possibility what you like, may actually be easy for you - then you can disregard that bit lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending