The Student Room Group

Most Popular Exam Board - Subjects

Just curious, I would like to know what exam boards the majority of schools choose for subjects, e.g. which are the most popular ones?

I know Edexcel is the most popular for Maths, some 300,000 people sat the linear maths GCSE this June lmao.

Also, which tend to be easier or harder? Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

And I know this is off topic, but is there a further maths GCSE? If so, which is the most popular board for this qualification?

Thanks guys!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jay-Dee
Just curious, I would like to know what exam boards the majority of schools choose for subjects, e.g. which are the most popular ones?

I know Edexcel is the most popular for Maths, some 300,000 people sat the linear maths GCSE this June lmao.

Also, which tend to be easier or harder? Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

And I know this is off topic, but is there a further maths GCSE? If so, which is the most popular board for this qualification?

Thanks guys!!

Yes, hilarious.

In Northern Ireland most subjects tend to be on CCEA I've found. Yes there is an Additional Maths GCSE. Don't know which are harder/easier but I know Edexcel A Level Maths is considered easier than other boards.
Reply 2
Oh great! Our A Level maths is AQA haha, I've heard they are a harsh board for a level maths :frown:(

Reply 3
AQA for English lit and lang
Really!? I heard Edexcel can either be really nice or really hard!? I did AQA and loved it... (for GCSE) and then Edexcel for A-level is good yep!

Reply 5
Original post by Jay-Dee

Thanks guys!!

AQA does further maths for GCSE
Reply 6
Edexcel Maths for A-Level, without a doubt.
I'm pretty much AQA for everything at GCSE apart from OCR economics and iGCSE maths.

Yeah I had Edexcel for maths. We used to use practise papers from AQA GCSE maths and they were hard! I was on AQA for my other subjects and for A levels and I can tell you now, AQA is hard! Steer clear away from AQA! :run:
Reply 9
AQA is, without a doubt, the hardest board (for GCSE, I have no experience with A Level). However, they usually have the lowest grade boundaries on their exams.

However I still like AQA more than WJEC.

EDIT: Why is Edexcel A Level Maths more popular tthan AQA? Is it easier? Because I am doing AQA for A Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths. WJEC for ICT.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
In my Edexcel maths GCSE I lost 10 raw marks out of 200. I'm definitely sitting some form of additional maths for GCSE, or I think they suggested an A level starter. My teacher is really pushing me to do A level maths and I'm interested in it quite a lot, but I'm terrified of how hard I've heard it is :/ I'm definitely doing biology, chemistry and either physics/French/Spanish but im not sure about maths :/

Reply 11
Original post by Dentistry:)
Edexcel Maths for A-Level, without a doubt.

AQA for me. Most likely a bad thing? :tongue:
I like Edexcel, AQA are way too tough..

Edexcel for the sciences and AQA for all the essay writing subjects!
I did CCEA for GCSE and I'm doing CCEA for A-level.
Original post by matty123
AQA for me. Most likely a bad thing? :tongue:

Haha don't worry man, maths is maths.
Reply 16
Maths - Edexcel
Science - Equally split Edexcel/AQA
English Lit + Lang - AQA
Music - AQA
IT - OCR
Spanish - AQA
RS - OCR

Edexcel maths is definitely the most popular. Their 3 units or linear is really simple so is a favourite among schools.

P.S - You said "lmao" after you said 300'000 people took the exam. 1ma0 was the specification haha. very similar.
Maths - Edexcel
Science - Edexcel
English Lit + Lang - AQA

Business and Economies - Edexcel
ICT - OCR
Reply 18
Original post by Dylann
Maths - Edexcel
Science - Equally split Edexcel/AQA
English Lit + Lang - AQA
Music - AQA
IT - OCR
Spanish - AQA
RS - OCR

Edexcel maths is definitely the most popular. Their 3 units or linear is really simple so is a favourite among schools.

P.S - You said "lmao" after you said 300'000 people took the exam. 1ma0 was the specification haha. very similar.

Lmao!! I've saw that before haha but it never clicked :L

cie alevel is way harder than other a level exam boards

Quick Reply

Latest