The Student Room Group

Advice Needed! - PGCE But No Degree?

My husband wants to get into teaching, specifically in English and in Secondary School level. He however, does not have a degree as he never went to University. (He is currently a tutor, self employed working in 2 different schools, one primary, one secondary but as a Guitar Tutor).

Is there any route that he may be able take in order to gain a PGCE to teach English in Secondary School? :frown:

Any advice would be great, thanks a bunch! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am not an expert - far from it - but I can't imagine you could possibly do a PGCE without a degree. It is a postgraduate qualification.

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/itt-routes/ways-of-getting-into-teaching.aspx This site offers a survey to identify your best route into teaching, based on your qualifications and experience. :smile:
Well Academies can now employ people without QTS, which can imply that you do not need a PGCE or a degree either, but it is extremely unlikely that you would be successful in pursuing such a route. Being a guitar tutor does not show any commitment to English, and he does not possess a degree, so providers will throw out the application immediately.

The only sensible option, is to do a degree in English, Assess at that point whether teaching is still your intention, if so, apply for ITT.
Reply 3
Yeah. I know what PGCE is and what it stands for - I was just looking for a secod opinion as to whether or not there would be a different route available anywhere (especially for Secondary level).

Thanks though. Guess this answers my question, just had to confirm it, that's all. ^^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
I'm guessing PTTLS,DTLLS, etc. will only get him teaching in Primary School level?

Original post by Szereza
I'm guessing PTTLS,DTLLS, etc. will only get him teaching in Primary School level?

Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS)
Diploma for Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS)

Quite the opposite, as these courses focus on post-16/post-compulsory education. :smile:

Once fully qualified, meeting the standards, you can teach in primary or secondary, regardless of which you trained in. Obviously, the bulk of your experience will be in the one you trained in, but you can make the move between primary and secondary.

The link I posted talks about the different ways of gaining QTS. You can do your teacher training alongside your degree. Perhaps your husband could find an English BA with QTS. :smile:
Reply 6
You need a degree to get QTS (to teach in whatever sector) in the UK, things are changing in terms of acadamies (sp) but at the moment without a degree he will be unable to get a job as a teacher.

Some private schools and academies do not look for QTS so a degree may be enough for him.
Why doesn't he look into getting a degree? It's never too late I say
Reply 8
Agreed.

Was thinking for him to get a TA position first. But even then, everyone wants experience eh?

Reply 9
Have a look at PGCE on huddersfield uni post grad courses, they allow you to do the pgce with no degree.
Reply 10
I would suggest he looks for a teaching assistant position and studies at the same time - check out the Open University for this- that way, by the time he's finished his degree, he'll have several years of in-school experience under his belt and will be in a good position to apply for the PGCE.
Reply 11
Thanks guys!

I think the best way would be a TA position first and then find a place to study at the same time. Birkbeck does a full time all evening classes in English. I don't know if they're any good - if not, OU will be another option as well.

Reply 12
Original post by Szereza
My husband wants to get into teaching, specifically in English and in Secondary School level. He however, does not have a degree as he never went to University. (He is currently a tutor, self employed working in 2 different schools, one primary, one secondary but as a Guitar Tutor).

Is there any route that he may be able take in order to gain a PGCE to teach English in Secondary School? :frown:

Hi.

Have a look at the DTLLS course it allows applicants to gain QTS without a degree within a year, however you would need to log 150 teaching hours. the tutoring might help.
Hi im a CertTesol Teacher and have be teaching in class for 4 years. I want to get into primary school teaching but dont have a degree. Can anyone give me any advice?
Reply 14
Original post by Mattleclercq
Hi im a CertTesol Teacher and have be teaching in class for 4 years. I want to get into primary school teaching but dont have a degree. Can anyone give me any advice?

Get a degree. It is a compulsory requirement to be a primary teacher.
Reply 15
Original post by Szereza
I think the best way would be a TA position first and then find a place to study at the same time. Birkbeck does a full time all evening classes in English. I don't know if they're any good - if not, OU will be another option as well.

This
Reply 16
Original post by ferguson147
Have a look at PGCE on huddersfield uni post grad courses, they allow you to do the pgce with no degree.

I am guessing you won't get a QTS after the PGCE.
Reply 17
That post is both seventeen months old and completely incorrect. A quick look on the University of Huddersfield's website confirms that their Postgraduate Certificate in Education requires at least a 2:1 degree. The clue is really in the name. Postgraduate. As in, you have previously graduated from university with a degree. Can't go straight to postgrad without having done undergrad!

http://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/full-time/postgraduate/teacher-training-pgce-primary-secondary-school-direct/
Reply 18
Hi guys, in order to do a PGCE, do u have to do a degree in relation to teaching in some way or can you even do a degree in say Sports Management and then get a PGCE?
Original post by Szereza

Some things that might help you:

1. You don't need a PGCE to teach (it is extremely highly desirable though)
2. Most routes to attain a QTS require a degree (but there might be some that don't)
3. He could do a degree in Education and get a QTS at the same time

Latest

Trending

Trending