The Student Room Group

How does repeating year 12 affect you?

Does repeating year 12 affect if you get a place at uni?
Does it make it less likely ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It should not disadvantage you greatly, unless you want to do medicine and go to Oxbridge. They will expect more from you if you are retaking the same subjects and ask for higher grades. I am retaking year 12, I wanted to study medicine but I don't think anywhere will accept me.

What subjects are you doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Some of the top unis won't accept you and other unis will give you the higher end of their offers.
Reply 3
Original post by Clare~Bear
Some of the top unis won't accept you and other unis will give you the higher end of their offers.

Not true as it is just like been a mature student...
Original post by mr j man
Not true as it is just like been a mature student...

Not really. A mature student may have done their a-levels in 2 years or their access course in the 'proper' time. They just took some time out for whatever reason before applying. They may not have failed a year of 6th form and had to redo it, which is what OP is asking about.
Reply 5
I honestly can't see it makes a difference.
I did an extra year and redid my year 12 at college after having a crap year at school.
So I was basically one year behind when I finished my A levels.
Never held me back and I got my place at Uni later as a mature student.
Go for it!
Reply 6
Original post by Matty3
It should not disadvantage you greatly, unless you want to do medicine and go to Oxbridge. They will expect more from you if you are retaking the same subjects and ask for higher grades. I am retaking year 12, I wanted to study medicine but I don't think anywhere will accept me.

What subjects are you doing?

I'm doing A2 Sociology, AS Psychology and Health & Social care :smile:.You?
Reply 7
Original post by Sparkle24
I'm doing A2 Sociology, AS Psychology and Health & Social care :smile:.You?

Biology, chemistry and maths because they won't let me do 4 AS Levels as I am retaking so I will be doing psychology from home. What grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

It depends on your uni & course. I spoke to Warwick regarding Economics and they say it makes an insignificant difference (barely then). Speaking to more popular universities like LSE however - they mention that it may put you at a disadvantage, unless you had extenuating circumstances that affected your first set results. I'm not sure what course you want to do, but if it's one of the less competitive ones, then you should be okay (applying to top universities - decent ones shouldn't be a problem).
Original post by Matty3
Biology, chemistry and maths because they won't let me do 4 AS Levels as I am retaking so I will be doing psychology from home. What grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Same subjects, what exam board(s) you on?

Advice for someone was in the same spot:
1) Keep a positive mentality about everything
2) Keep up to date with your work - and learn about practicals early in the year. It's a headache but leaving it to the last minute will = U/E grade - Always keep on top of the practical work - actually start from after your January exams, that will help a lot :smile:
3) Examiners Reports, Legacy Papers & Exam Questions = best resources
4) Organise notes etc. etc.
5) Listen to your teachers and ask for advice if you need help
6) For maths - use ExamSolutions
Reply 10
Original post by LifeIsGood
Same subjects, what exam board(s) you on?

Advice for someone was in the same spot:
1) Keep a positive mentality about everything
2) Keep up to date with your work - and learn about practicals early in the year. It's a headache but leaving it to the last minute will = U/E grade - Always keep on top of the practical work - actually start from after your January exams, that will help a lot :smile:
3) Examiners Reports, Legacy Papers & Exam Questions = best resources
4) Organise notes etc. etc.
5) Listen to your teachers and ask for advice if you need help
6) For maths - use ExamSolutions

Edexcel for everything apart from psychology which is aqa. What about you?

Reply 11
Original post by Matty3

No,I don't mind.I did AS level General studies and Sociology-got D in those two subjects.And in my other three subjects Geography,English Language and RE I got an E.
What did you get? :smile:
Original post by Matty3
Edexcel for everything apart from psychology which is aqa. What about you?

I did Edexcel Maths - definitely use Exam Solutions
Reply 13
No,I don't mind.I did AS level General studies and Sociology-got D in those two subjects.And in my other three subjects Geography,English Language and RE I got an E.
What did you get? :smile:

Biology-C
Chemistry-D
Maths-D
Spanish-D

Reply 14
Original post by LifeIsGood
I did Edexcel Maths - definitely use Exam Solutions

Ok I will see if it is any good, thanks

Does repeating year 12 affect if you get a place at uni?
Does it make it less likely ??

It might do, depending on what university you apply to. I've redone year 12 (not because of bad results, I got AAABB (one of the Bs being General Studies however!)) and I've emailed the universities I'm interested in and Manchester has an issue, and Leeds has an issue with it and they want evidence of the circumstances that made me redo it at a different sixth form (not sure how I can provide this?). So yeah, other people have said Leeds is weird too.

But most other universities said to me it'll be okay :smile: (although they want me to explain in my personal statement, but I'm not sure that'd apply to you?)

but yeah they'll still consider you and offer you a place if you fit the requirements.

the ones I looked at all want you to do all your A2 exams in the same year however and seemed to frown more upon resitting year 13 exams :/
Reply 16
Original post by vaguity
It might do, depending on what university you apply to. I've redone year 12 (not because of bad results, I got AAABB (one of the Bs being General Studies however!)) and I've emailed the universities I'm interested in and Manchester has an issue, and Leeds has an issue with it and they want evidence of the circumstances that made me redo it at a different sixth form (not sure how I can provide this?). So yeah, other people have said Leeds is weird too.

But most other universities said to me it'll be okay :smile: (although they want me to explain in my personal statement, but I'm not sure that'd apply to you?)

but yeah they'll still consider you and offer you a place if you fit the requirements.

the ones I looked at all want you to do all your A2 exams in the same year however and seemed to frown more upon resitting year 13 exams :/

Ok,Thanks :smile:
I repeated the year
Original results:
Economics - D
Biology - D
Chemistry - E
Maths - U

New results (still could have done better)

Economics - A
Biology - B
Geography - B
Computing - E

I still want to apply to russel group unis though- one of them being LSE for either accounting and finance (maths not required) or Geography
I am going to redo the B's but I am stuck with the E! Will the fact that I repeated my AS levels and the fact that Im stuck with an E in computing prevent me from doing an economics/human geography related course at a top Russel Group Uni?

Im new to this site so I dont know if in posting in the right place :/ just looking out for some genuine advice. Thanks! X

Btw taking out a year to repeat- doing year 13 and then going to uni wont make you a mature student- there are PLENTY people who take gap years who will also be behind one year when they go to uni so its pretty much chilled

Original post by Aria_caparello
I repeated the year
Original results:
Economics - D
Biology - D
Chemistry - E
Maths - U

New results (still could have done better)

Economics - A
Biology - B
Geography - B
Computing - E

I still want to apply to russel group unis though- one of them being LSE for either accounting and finance (maths not required) or Geography
I am going to redo the B's but I am stuck with the E! Will the fact that I repeated my AS levels and the fact that Im stuck with an E in computing prevent me from doing an economics/human geography related course at a top Russel Group Uni?

email the admissions tutor for that course at each university, only they can tell you want i want
it might put you at a slight disadvantage, but then again it might not - the only way you'll know is if you ask them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest